There should be more restrictions on what poor people can buy with food stamps.

You pay taxes because the Constitution says it's okay. Candy can be made from products bought from stores using EBT yet you would allow that because it is basic necessities.
My suggestion would be good for the public. It would promote healthier eating.

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.
This is maybe the shittiest thing about the welfare state (and there are many). Liberals use state policy to create dependency, and then conservatives use it to bully people. :mad:

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.

The food police is a noble concept but who will enforce this? Additionally, many poor people live in neighborhoods where they don't have access to fresh fruit and veggies. They have a corner mini-mart that sells junk and fast food joints.

This is maybe the shittiest thing about the welfare state (and there are many). Liberals use state policy to create dependency, and then conservatives use it to bully people. :mad:
An even shitter thing about it is the naive "reformers", like the OP, who accept the underlying premise that it's totally acceptable to use the machinations of The State take from the productive -at gunpoint if necessary- in order to feather the nests of the unproductive.

The food police is a noble concept but who will enforce this? Additionally, many poor people live in neighborhoods where they don't have access to fresh fruit and veggies. They have a corner mini-mart that sells junk and fast food joints.

so why dont you invest in one and sell them the good stuff?...sounds like you can make a few bucks and be a hero to those people....

That is why I have grown my own and canned it for over thirty years plus I know that there is no pesticides or herbicides polluting the ground or the plants.

Maybe you should concern yourself with yourself and stop trying to tell everyone else how to live?

Neat. Then who is going to pay for the food stamps since we're not telling others how to live, such as paying for EBT from working class taxes?

I've seen people buy gum with EBT, PATHETIC.

Neat. Then who is going to pay for the food stamps since we're not telling others how to live, such as paying for EBT from working class taxes?

I've seen people buy gum with EBT, PATHETIC.
I can tell you are easily upset that all humans do not bow to yer will...Sorry to hear life is so frustrating.

so why dont you invest in one and sell them the good stuff?...sounds like you can make a few bucks and be a hero to those people....
The hell you say?!?...You're expecting that a liberoidal actually get up off his ass and do something for the people that he professes to care about?

What do you think he pays his taxed for? (/sarc) :auiqs.jpg:

~~~~~~

The food police is a noble concept but who will enforce this?
It's easy. They already can't buy hot food, which I think is retarded by the way. That means they can't go to Publix and buy some healthy prepared food, but they can roll down the candy aisle and buy enough chocolate to kill an elephant. What the fuck? It's not hard to create restrictions on their EBT cards, which is how all of them do it now.

The former first lady Oblama done did try that and people refuse to eat healthy in the USA.
Well poor people wouldn't have a choice but to pick healthier options with EBT if we did it the way I think it should be done. I think that would be good for them even if it pisses them off and feels patronizing.

I don't have the money, the name or the power to pull off something like that. Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan on the other hand are to be applauded for their work in the inner city.

I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country

Then lets do the right thing across the board then and ban all candy, sweets, soda and junk food for ALL, period. You just admitted there is an obesity epidemic and anyone can fall upon hard times (or get out of them). Being poor due to economics or health is not a decision that most people MAKE. It just happens.

Let's take all the companies selling pizza and Twinkies and make them sell cooked spinach and kale instead.

Then let's put the government in charge of all meals telling everyone what to eat and enforcing it with force of law.

Problem solved, right?

Well poor people wouldn't have a choice buy to pick healthier options with EBT if we did it the way I think it should be done. I think that would be good for them even if it pisses them off and feels patronizing.
hqdefault.jpg
Good intentions pave the road to Hell.

Forum List

Back