The Trivialization and Commercialization of the Sacred

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
While watching a YouTube review of the new Hyundai Santa Cruz, a sort-of-pickup truck...

...it occurred to me that "Santa Cruz" is not just a couple of random words, and not just the name of a quaint Southwestern town.

Santa Cruz is a Spanish phrase meaning, "Holy Cross," referring to the cross of Jesus Christ - a rather important person in Christianity, and if I may say so, the device by which he redeemed the human race. Not a trivial matter.

Are we to suppose that the people at Hyundai chose this name out of respect for Christianity? For the crucifixion? For any of it?

How is this different from a professional sports team adopting the name of an Indian tribe, or an Indian warrior? In fact, it is much more than that - much worse than that. But we Christians are so accustomed to having our beliefs and icons trivialized that sacrilegious nomenclature is "no big deal" to us. We do not see ourselves as pathetic victims or oppressed, and have no organized team to fight these outrages.

But it is outrageous.

How is this different from a professional sports team adopting the name of an Indian tribe, or an Indian warrior? In fact, it is much more than that - much worse than that. But we Christians are so accustomed to having our beliefs and icons trivialized that sacrilegious nomenclature is "no big deal" to us. We do not see ourselves as pathetic victims or oppressed, and have no organized team to fight these outrages.
Santa Cruz may mean nothing to many, but it means everything to me. Seeing a Santa Cruz vehicle on the road, may well redirect my thoughts, and that is not such a bad thing.

Yes, the more accurate translation for a cross over between an SUV and a truck would be Transversal. Still, what can we expect when a Korean company proposes a Spanish name for their vehicle?

Santa Cruz has been manufacturing the best Skateboards and Apparel for over 40 years. Innovative skateboards and artwork from the beginning 'til the end.
Santa Cruz Bicycles is dedicated to making the world's best mountain bikes. From the World Championship-winning V10 to the beloved Tallboy, we make bikes ...
But it is outrageous.
Santa Cruz - This quintessential California beach town is synonymous with sun, sand, and summer fun.

.how dare they ...

While watching a YouTube review of the new Hyundai Santa Cruz, a sort-of-pickup truck...

...it occurred to me that "Santa Cruz" is not just a couple of random words, and not just the name of a quaint Southwestern town.

Santa Cruz is a Spanish phrase meaning, "Holy Cross," referring to the cross of Jesus Christ - a rather important person in Christianity, and if I may say so, the device by which he redeemed the human race. Not a trivial matter.

Are we to suppose that the people at Hyundai chose this name out of respect for Christianity? For the crucifixion? For any of it?

But it is outrageous.

Aren't most christian symbols appropriated from other or earlier religions? Much of our christmas traditions were based on druid or other pagan ones, the use of the cross predated Jesus, etc etc.

But it is outrageous.

Santa Cruz is a city. Hyundai uses names of US-American cities for their cars.

What I am really very angry about in context blasphermy: I heard yesterday in the German TV a preacher from the USA who cried like an aggressive hamster "I will no one allow to enter with a mask my church!". It is not his church. It is the church of god for the children of god. It is your church! And who fights against vaccinations and masks for death and destruction is not a priest - such a man is a devil!!! The same time nurses and doctors of some pseudo-republican states of the USA are desperated because their governments work against them and their future patients, who hopefully never will be. They have the worst situation since the pandemic started and the very most - more than 90% of their patients - are not vaccinated. And many of them will die a terrible death because they made the wrong decision not to be vaccinated. And all of them regret their wrong decision.

Sisters and brothers - beg your pardon: I hate it very much to have to be a preacher on my own: But are you meanwhile totally stupid? Why for heavens sake do you believe in all this preachers of death? Our god is a god of love - the god of life!!! Don't be stupid!!! Do not listen to wrong prophets! Take care for each other: Keep distance - use masks!!! Take care for each other: Let you vaccinate! Yesterday!!! This will help you and your sisters and brothers!

God bless you. God bless the USA.

Last edited:
Santa Cruz may mean nothing to many, but it means everything to me. Seeing a Santa Cruz vehicle on the road, may well redirect my thoughts, and that is not such a bad thing.
:thankusmile:
Yes, the more accurate translation for a cross over between an SUV and a truck would be Transversal. Still, what can we expect when a Korean company proposes a Spanish name for their vehicle?

Forum List

Back