What's wrong with Christianity

Stann

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2021
If you have negative feelings about something in Christianity feel free to post it here. I created an alternate thread called what is right about Christianity, for those who want to post the like. I'm hoping to avoid the constant bickering that often occurs between posters which ends up distracting from the conversation. Enjoy !

Time is irrelevant. I have all the time in this world and it doesn't exist in the next.

What I find wrong is not so much the religion, but rather those who take advantage of it. Joel Olsteen and Kenneth Colemann, etc. They do their dancin' and a proclaimin' and a healin' but it's all for show and money. Peter Poppoff selling "miracle spring water" on TV? Come on! Jesus Christ and the Lord our God are the only ones doing the miracles around here, not some sellout televangelist who likes wearing expensive suits, flying private jets, and not doing anything to help anyone or get people saved.

I was born into Christianity in the form of the Catholic faith. I quit Catholicism due, in part, to its misogyny and the fact that its leadership in the form of a monarchy. Having seen other "Christians" adopt these same mistakes and even identify political views with Christianity, I am ready to quit. None of this, NONE OF THIS, has anything to do with any belief in Jesus. So much of Christianity has been made false by identifying a belief in Jesus with some sort of authoritarian politics, not only in the present day but over centuries, that I wonder what is left to believe in. It appears that "Christianity" is a false religion. It appears that what I believed in was false.

If you have negative feelings about something in Christianity feel free to post it here. I created an alternate thread called what is right about Christianity, for those who want to post the like. I'm hoping to avoid the constant bickering that often occurs between posters which ends up distracting from the conversation. Enjoy !
1. Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness.

2. Christianity created wonderful charities and organizations.

3. Christian persons and institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.

4. Christianity has been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing.

5. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity.

6. Christianity has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility.

7. Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility.

8. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave.

9. Christianity teaches that actions have consequences.

10. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe.

11. Christianity helps us feel connected to one another and to nature.

12. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world.

13. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit.

14. Christianity serves to bind the community together.

15. Christianity inspires love, peace and happiness.

16. Christianity serves to create traditions.

17. Christianity brings order to our lives.

18. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill.

19. Christianity can act as a source of hope for the oppressed.

20. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves.

21. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon.

22. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church.

23. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church.

24. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market.

25. The Catholic Church invented the university.

26. Western law grew out of Church canon law.

27. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life.

28. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources.

29. Christianity gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians.

30. Christianity gave us America.

31. Christianity gave us incredible artwork.

32. Christianity gave us incredible music.

33. Christianity gave us incredible architecture.

34. Christianity has spread democracy.

35. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression.

36. Christians rebuilt Europe after WWII.

37. Christians rebuilt Japan after WWII.

38. Christians put a man on the moon.

39. Christians ended the cold war.

1. Christianity promotes the virtues of thankfulness, forgiveness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience and kindness.

2. Christianity created wonderful charities and organizations.

3. Christian persons and institutions are usually the first source of literacy, education, and healthcare in the poorer regions.

4. Christianity has been the source of abundant human services from hospitals, orphanages, nursing homes, and schools, to advocacy on behalf of those with no voice, to supporting cultural outreaches, and seeking always to find ways in which to protect and promote human life and its authentic flourishing.

5. Christianity gave us the concept of subsidiarity.

6. Christianity has done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility.

7. Christianity teaches accountability and responsibility.

8. Christianity teaches that we have a choice in how we behave.

9. Christianity teaches that actions have consequences.

10. Christianity inspires a sense of wonder in nature and the universe.

11. Christianity helps us feel connected to one another and to nature.

12. Christianity helps us feel less alone in the world.

13. Christianity serves to ennoble the human spirit.

14. Christianity serves to bind the community together.

15. Christianity inspires love, peace and happiness.

16. Christianity serves to create traditions.

17. Christianity brings order to our lives.

18. Christianity brings comfort to the terminally ill.

19. Christianity can act as a source of hope for the oppressed.

20. Christianity teaches that we can transform ourselves.

21. Christian values were the foundation which Western Civilization was built upon.

22. No other institution played a greater role in shaping Western Civilization than the Catholic Church.

23. Modern science was born in the Catholic Church.

24. Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market.

25. The Catholic Church invented the university.

26. Western law grew out of Church canon law.

27. The Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life.

28. The Church constantly sought to alleviate the evils of slavery and repeatedly denounced the mass enslavement of conquered populations and the infamous slave trade, thereby undermining slavery at its sources.

29. Christianity gave us great thinkers, leaders and humanitarians.

30. Christianity gave us America.

31. Christianity gave us incredible artwork.

32. Christianity gave us incredible music.

33. Christianity gave us incredible architecture.

34. Christianity has spread democracy.

35. Christians fought other Christians in WWII to end their aggression.

36. Christians rebuilt Europe after WWII.

37. Christians rebuilt Japan after WWII.

38. Christians put a man on the moon.

39. Christians ended the cold war.
Yeah. God went through characteristic rehab after raping mary. Good for you guys. He is nice now.
:lol:

My only issue is when churches try to shield pedophiles because they want to save face with the public.

What I find wrong is not so much the religion, but rather those who take advantage of it. Joel Olsteen and Kenneth Colemann, etc. They do their dancin' and a proclaimin' and a healin' but it's all for show and money. Peter Poppoff selling "miracle spring water" on TV? Come on! Jesus Christ and the Lord our God are the only ones doing the miracles around here, not some sellout televangelist who likes wearing expensive suits, flying private jets, and not doing anything to help anyone or get people saved.
Concerning the religion, they basically told the Jews they got their own religion wrong.
Their book is full bad translations.
Hek, even whats in their book was picked and chosen by a small group of people. Around 2000 people.
I could probably think of more bad things related to the religion itself.

I was born into Christianity in the form of the Catholic faith. I quit Catholicism due, in part, to its misogyny and the fact that its leadership in the form of a monarchy. Having seen other "Christians" adopt these same mistakes and even identify political views with Christianity, I am ready to quit. None of this, NONE OF THIS, has anything to do with any belief in Jesus. So much of Christianity has been made false by identifying a belief in Jesus with some sort of authoritarian politics, not only in the present day but over centuries, that I wonder what is left to believe in. It appears that "Christianity" is a false religion. It appears that what I believed in was false.
This is truly odd. A church in the US that is 53% women and has over 720,000 women in consecrated positions (as opposed to about 100,000 men) is guilty of hating women?

Further, each parish is in charge of its own affairs, with the pastor at its head. Yes, to keep everyone in sync with the Catholic faith we have bishops (in charge of diocese); archbishops (in charge of archdiocese) cardinals (coordinators between archdiocese and Rome) and the Pope, who has nothing to do with parish affairs.

Parish affairs may take up one homily per year; diocese affairs perhaps another homily. Meanwhile the Mass and all other homilies all center around the Bible and the life of Jesus and/or other Biblical readings.

How did your parish keep you focused on hating women and apparently on the Pope's schedule instead of Jesus and Biblical teachings?

In a nutshell--the philosophical foundation of Christ's message is so lost in the self-serving theocracy that it bears no resemblance to the world that Christ envisioned.
It started out as a ecstatic faith that eschewed all forms of violence..that condemned the accumulation of material riches at the expense of the vast majority of people.
Christianity lost its way when it became the state church of Rome--soon codifying killing as OK..if sanctioned by the state. The irony of this..given Christ's execution by the state--is pretty thick. But irony is not religion's friend even in the best of circumstances.
Conversion by the sword...mass hypocrisy of the leadership...a cynical approach that says that since humans are fallible...it's OK to forgive the bad behavior of its members--in advance, as it were.
Christianity, as laid forth in the Bible..is a tough way of life. But a random look at most Christians exposes the rot. The concept of Christian soldiers..killing in the name of the Lord..was not what Christ was like.

Live a Christ-like life...not really something that's done by the majority. Just the fact that few find any real value in forgiveness--Other than paying it lip service--is a deal-breaker for me. Then there is the concept of atonement..and sacrifice--that transforms Jesus into a sacrificial lamb..for the world..for eternity. Pretty damn convenient, eh?

Christianity is Patriarchal---from the big Daddy..God...to all the little daddies..men. In this religion...every interaction with God is supposed to be that of an erring child to his stern, wrathful and vengeful persona...until one is forgiven..not by good works....not by trying to be the best person one can be--but simply by belief in a theological principle.

I think the Quakers do it best..might explain their persecution in earlier years. Their theology is minimal--they have no clergy..they sit in meeting and wait for the spirit of the Lord to move them. Oh, and they do good works---Amnesty Intl. among them. But here's the thing...if you really help the poor..and cast out---you will find yourself hated--by many Christians.

That is wrong. Tell me..does a Christian need guns? Does a Christian need wealth? Christ said that his Kingdom was of the next world, not this one. The early Christians went to their deaths singing--full of the knowledge that they were going to see God....today's Christians seem to want to delay that moment as long as they can. Who can blame them? If you read the Bible correctly--your belief is false if your actions don't reflect it.
I'd want to delay judgement too...given those conditions.

Last edited:
black jelly beans. NO JELLY BEAN SHOULD BE LICORICE FLAVORED-----
it is blasphemous. -------yellow and cherry red is best

This is truly odd. A church in the US that is 53% women and has over 720,000 women in consecrated positions (as opposed to about 100,000 men) is guilty of hating women?

Further, each parish is in charge of its own affairs, with the pastor at its head. Yes, to keep everyone in sync with the Catholic faith we have bishops (in charge of diocese); archbishops (in charge of archdiocese) cardinals (coordinators between archdiocese and Rome) and the Pope, who has nothing to do with parish affairs.

Parish affairs may take up one homily per year; diocese affairs perhaps another homily. Meanwhile the Mass and all other homilies all center around the Bible and the life of Jesus and/or other Biblical readings.

How did your parish keep you focused on hating women and apparently on the Pope's schedule instead of Jesus and Biblical teachings?
Hating women is hyperbole but they dont look at women like they do with men. Like with preaching and stuff.
IIRC, "preaching" is actually reserved for males. For some stupid reason like women cant have authority over men.
Paul, I believe it was, said "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent"
Peter said "Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers."

Yeah. God went through characteristic rehab after raping mary. Good for you guys. He is nice now.
:lol:

Just in case you weren't just trolling…

“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Luke 1:38

You're welcome.

Jesus foretold that at the end of the Church Age Satan will have deeply corrupted the churches and many of us would be Christians in name only

thats true for Jews also

Forum List

Back