Zone1 The "Successful" Asian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so. And it’s not that he is always entirely wrong. It is, instead, that he is entirely close/minded. He does evoke reactions. Those reactions can get members into trouble because he has protection his the zone.

I am wondering it the best course is simply to ignore him (and some of his compatriots) until and unless he sees fit (they see fit) to discuss things rationally and fairly. Maybe by not making use of this silly zone 1 safety net.
What IM2 refuses to see is that people who act the way he does actually make racism worse. He offends people who would generally give him and people who think like him the benefit of the doubt. He turns everyone against him. Why should anyone cut people like him a break when he will vilify them for not doing enough? Why should an employer give someone like him a job when they will vilify the employer for it? Why should anyone of any other race do a damn thing to help blacks when they don't appreciate what has already been done. All he has is hate and its eating him up. He's gotten even worse since the well-meaning, but misguided mods gave him protection by making this subject a zone 1 protected one. Instead of thanking the mods, he feuds with then as well.

ASIAN AMERICANS FACING HIGH POVERTY RATES

Reparations for Asians?

istockphoto-168412969-612x612.jpg

I think I could get behind that.

View attachment 668745
12.3 percent

The narrative pushed by some in the white community to dismiss racism by comparing blacks to Asians is disingenuous.

Asian-Americans: Smart, High-Incomes And ... Poor?​

Now, we have another perspective on poverty in a place you might not expect to find it or, rather, among a group of people. May is Asian-American Heritage Month and, over the course of the month, you might have heard it said that Asian-Americans enjoy the highest income and level of educational attainment of any racial group in this country.

So it might surprise you to know that Asian-Americans also experience a higher rate of poverty than non-Hispanic whites. According to a National Academy of Science's analysis of census data, Asian-Americans have a 12.3 percent poverty rate. That compares to 9.8 percent for non-Hispanic whites.

We wanted to talk more about this, so we've called Algernon Austin. He is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and the Economy Program at the Economic Policy Institute. That's here in Washington, D.C. He's written about the issue for the institute.

MARTIN: Also with us, Rosalind Chou. She's a sociology professor at Georgia State University. She's also co-author of the book, "The Myth of the Model Minority: Asian-Americans Facing Racism."

MARTIN: So, Mr. Austin, I'll start with you. The Pew Center found that Asian-Americans have a significantly higher median income than the general population. Sixty-six thousand dollars a year compared to just under $50,000. The first question, you know, that comes to mind is, how is it possible that the median income is higher, but there's still a significant poverty rate?

AUSTIN: Well, the Asian-American population is quite diverse and there are many highly educated Asian-Americans, but the actual Asian-American population that does not have a high school diploma is actually higher than the white race, so you also have significant numbers of low wage earners among Asian-Americans.

CHOU: The thing about the Asian-American group is that it encompasses over 50 nations and then there are different ethnicities involved in that, as well, so it's a large group that's lumped together. And, with that, there are different types of immigration that have happened that affect whether they're refugee status or they came over for educational purposes or work purposes.

So, with that, Cambodian, Lao, Hmong, Vietnamese - they're largely immigrated to the U.S. via political or refugees because of war and, in that case, their circumstances are different that would affect their educational attainment and their income levels.

CHOU: In my research, I've also found that the Hmong, in discussing education and culture with them, my Hmong respondent said, in their culture, it wasn't valued over family and agriculture. And what you'll find in the Midwest, the Hmong population - there's a lot of ginseng farming, not that push for educational attainment and just, in general, those groups still don't overshadow the fact that even East Asian descent Asian-Americans have higher rates of poverty and still higher rates of not having a high school education or less than a high school education, as well.

MARTIN: You know, Professor Chou, your book is called "The Myth of the Model Minority," which suggests that there really isn't perhaps a general understanding that poverty exists among Asian-Americans. Do you think that there is some consequence to that?

CHOU: Absolutely. So the first consequence is, externally, people not realizing that there are issues with this racial group. Then, in my research, I found that many Asian-Americans were discouraged to talk about any problems they had that had to do with perhaps racial discrimination, that families even encouraged their children to not say anything and don't rock the boat.

ASIAN AMERICANS FACING HIGH POVERTY RATES​

It is often assumed that Asian Americans are one of the minority groups in the United States that is doing well economically. However, this statement too broadly categorizes all Asian subgroups.

In fact, amongst poor Asian Americans, Southeast Asians face some of the highest poverty rates in the whole country. Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles conducted a study on income sources, home foreclosures and housing burden. The study indicated that Southeast Asians in the United States have consistently relied on food stamps for many decades. Moreover, language barriers are still major roadblocks that prevent Southeast Asian Americans from entering new labor markets.

The poverty rate for Asian Americans is highest amongst Hmong, Cambodian, Laotian and Vietnamese. Hmong Americans have a startlingly high poverty rate at 37.8%, followed closely by Cambodian Americans at 29.3% and Laotian Americans at 18.5%.

Painting a whole race with a broad brush is often done to Asians in this forum.
You might notice that the woman being interviewed is hawking her book about inequality for Asians. Since no one would bother buying a book about the success of Asian immigrants, she has every reason to downplay or even mis-report data. I notice she doesn't mention the steady stream of illegal aliens form Asia that fish heads smuggle into the USA who raise the percentage of poverty-stricken Asians.

I think so. And it’s not that he is always entirely wrong. It is, instead, that he is entirely close/minded. He does evoke reactions. Those reactions can get members into trouble because he has protection his the zone.

I am wondering it the best course is simply to ignore him (and some of his compatriots) until and unless he sees fit (they see fit) to discuss things rationally and fairly. Maybe by not making use of this silly zone 1 safety net.
I am struggling with this issue myself. IM2 is given a lot of leeway to start inflammatory threads - yesterday was how Jews exploited blacks and thus antisemitism is justified among them - and any attempt to defend or pushback must be muffled.

View attachment 668745
12.3 percent

The narrative pushed by some in the white community to dismiss racism by comparing blacks to Asians is disingenuous.

Now, we have another perspective on poverty in a place you might not expect to find it or, rather, among a group of people. May is Asian-American Heritage Month and, over the course of the month, you might have heard it said that Asian-Americans enjoy the highest income and level of educational attainment of any racial group in this country.

So it might surprise you to know that Asian-Americans also experience a higher rate of poverty than non-Hispanic whites. According to a National Academy of Science's analysis of census data, Asian-Americans have a 12.3 percent poverty rate. That compares to 9.8 percent for non-Hispanic whites.

We wanted to talk more about this, so we've called Algernon Austin. He is the director of the Race, Ethnicity and the Economy Program at the Economic Policy Institute. That's here in Washington, D.C. He's written about the issue for the institute.

MARTIN: Also with us, Rosalind Chou. She's a sociology professor at Georgia State University. She's also co-author of the book, "The Myth of the Model Minority: Asian-Americans Facing Racism."

MARTIN: So, Mr. Austin, I'll start with you. The Pew Center found that Asian-Americans have a significantly higher median income than the general population. Sixty-six thousand dollars a year compared to just under $50,000. The first question, you know, that comes to mind is, how is it possible that the median income is higher, but there's still a significant poverty rate?

AUSTIN: Well, the Asian-American population is quite diverse and there are many highly educated Asian-Americans, but the actual Asian-American population that does not have a high school diploma is actually higher than the white race, so you also have significant numbers of low wage earners among Asian-Americans.

CHOU: The thing about the Asian-American group is that it encompasses over 50 nations and then there are different ethnicities involved in that, as well, so it's a large group that's lumped together. And, with that, there are different types of immigration that have happened that affect whether they're refugee status or they came over for educational purposes or work purposes.

So, with that, Cambodian, Lao, Hmong, Vietnamese - they're largely immigrated to the U.S. via political or refugees because of war and, in that case, their circumstances are different that would affect their educational attainment and their income levels.

CHOU: In my research, I've also found that the Hmong, in discussing education and culture with them, my Hmong respondent said, in their culture, it wasn't valued over family and agriculture. And what you'll find in the Midwest, the Hmong population - there's a lot of ginseng farming, not that push for educational attainment and just, in general, those groups still don't overshadow the fact that even East Asian descent Asian-Americans have higher rates of poverty and still higher rates of not having a high school education or less than a high school education, as well.

MARTIN: You know, Professor Chou, your book is called "The Myth of the Model Minority," which suggests that there really isn't perhaps a general understanding that poverty exists among Asian-Americans. Do you think that there is some consequence to that?

CHOU: Absolutely. So the first consequence is, externally, people not realizing that there are issues with this racial group. Then, in my research, I found that many Asian-Americans were discouraged to talk about any problems they had that had to do with perhaps racial discrimination, that families even encouraged their children to not say anything and don't rock the boat.

It is often assumed that Asian Americans are one of the minority groups in the United States that is doing well economically. However, this statement too broadly categorizes all Asian subgroups.

In fact, amongst poor Asian Americans, Southeast Asians face some of the highest poverty rates in the whole country. Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles conducted a study on income sources, home foreclosures and housing burden. The study indicated that Southeast Asians in the United States have consistently relied on food stamps for many decades. Moreover, language barriers are still major roadblocks that prevent Southeast Asian Americans from entering new labor markets.

The poverty rate for Asian Americans is highest amongst Hmong, Cambodian, Laotian and Vietnamese. Hmong Americans have a startlingly high poverty rate at 37.8%, followed closely by Cambodian Americans at 29.3% and Laotian Americans at 18.5%.

Using 2009 and 2013 sources for your discussion? wow

The poverty rate for Asians (8.1 percent) in 2020 was not statistically different from 2019

Asians and whites each have about a 10% poverty rate, and blacks have twice that at around 20%. (The high rate of out-of-wedlock birthrate among blacks, at 72%, is the primary cause.) I’m not sure where OP came up with his story about Asians having high poverty rates, or what his underlying point is.

Clearly, the groups that value education and ”marriage, then children” do much better from an income perspective.

Using 2009 and 2013 sources for your discussion? wow

The poverty rate for Asians (8.1 percent) in 2020 was not statistically different from 2019
Again, there are large differences in poverty rates among Asian subgroups. Most of the Asian origin groups analyzed (12 of 19) had poverty rates that were as high as or higher than the U.S. average in 2019. Mongolians (25%) had the highest poverty rates among Asian groups, while the lowest rate was among Indians (6%).

Much like economic trends within the U.S. Asian population, there are wide disparities among origin groups. Indians ages 25 and older have the highest level of educational attainment among U.S. Asians, with 75% holding a bachelor’s degree or more in 2019. Bhutanese adults are the least likely Asian origin group to have a college degree (15%).

Remove Indians from the group and you get a different picfure.

1657577645740.png

APRIL 29, 2021

Why income inequality is growing at the fastest rate among Asian Americans​

PUBLISHED WED, MAY 26 2021

Racial Wealth Snapshot: Asian Americans And The Racial Wealth Divide​

By Dedrick Asante-Muhammad and Sally Sim / May 14, 2020

Poverty

Despite Asian Americans having the highest household median income, many Asian Americans still face economic insecurity. In 2018, 10.1% of Asian Americans lived in poverty, compared to 8.1% of White, non-Hispanic Americans. Additionally, not all Asian Americans equally face financial insecurity. Large discrepancies between income and wealth among Asian American nationalities lends itself to different degrees of economic inequality. According to 2017 Census data, Filipino Americans faced a 6.0% poverty rate, compared to the 16.2% for Hmong Americans.[11] Additionally, many Asian Americans are falling through the cracks in data representation and social services, making it difficult to evaluate accessible services for communities who need them.[12]

Unemployment

Asian Americans have the lowest unemployment rate across any household of color, with only 3.3% of the population unemployed in the first quarter of 2020, compared to the national average of 4.1%.[13] Such low rates of unemployment may be explained through the type of immigration seen from Asia to the U.S. For example, Asian immigrants hold the majority of employer-sponsored H-1B visas,[14][15] and in 2018, Chinese nationals received nearly half of EB-5 investor green cards, allowing permanent residency in the U.S. on the condition of an investment of $500,000 to finance a business that will employ at least 10 American workers.

In short, there aren't a lot of Asians coming over here with nothing.

This thread is about bashing non-Blacks. This time your target is Asians and of course Whitey. You've managed to alienate everyone including USMB Black members.
No it isn't. I have alienated no one. Your post is off topic. Stay the hell out of this thread.

No it isn't. I have alienated no one. Your post is off topic. Stay the hell out of this thread.
^^^ Now see, this is the type of angry, uncalled for behavior that does alienate people. Try to be a bit more even-keeled, and an actual discussion could take place.

View attachment 668745
12.3 percent

1659423186074.png

So which white ethnicity are you hanging this blame on?

After all it seems only fair that if you're going to break everything down by ethnicity to prove some certain grouping of Asians are a certain way the same reasoning should be used in reverse.

So which is it the Spanish, Italians, French, English, Germans, Danes, Sicilians, Norwegians, Scots, Irish, Fins, Ukrainians, Swedish, Russians (If so which ones?), etc, etc, etc,...???

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

And bullying non blacks until they give him free stuff.
What he and other aggressive, hostile blacks don’t get is that they are LESS likely to get whites (the majority population, whom they need as advocates) to vote to confiscate whites’ money and hand it over to blacks who are four and five generations removed from slavery when they scream “raaaaacist” at white people who disagree with them.

(Same reason you don’t give a three-year-old ice cream when he throws his little body on the floor and throws a temper tantrum.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back