Zone1 "Study".....Bike Fatalities Are Worse for Black and Hispanic Americans

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Is there anything they won't find a "wacist" angle on?

A new study from researchers at Boston and Harvard Universities highlights the disparity in traffic fatalities according to race and mode of transportation, with Black and Hispanic bicyclists more likely to die while biking than their white counterparts.

Authors Matthew A. Raifman, MPP, and Ernani F. Choma, Ph.D., found that fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled are systemically higher for Black and Hispanic Americans for all modes — and notably higher for vulnerable modes like bicycling and walking.

Although Asian bikers and pedestrians died significantly less often than all other racial groups, the study nonetheless highlights the gross inequity experienced by BIPOC biking and walking in America (this study did not include Indigenous Americans but earlier research found that all-mode traffic fatalities were higher for Indigenous and Black Americans than for white and Asian Americans.)

Gee, I wonder if it might be the ever increasing use of bicycles by the ever increasing Hispanic population?

Did you notice how the "study" totally discounted Asian bikers because their numbers did not fit the "oppressed minority" narrative?

A new study from researchers at Boston and Harvard Universities highlights the disparity in traffic fatalities according to race and mode of transportation, with Black and Hispanic bicyclists more likely to die while biking than their white counterparts.

Authors Matthew A. Raifman, MPP, and Ernani F. Choma, Ph.D., found that fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled are systemically higher for Black and Hispanic Americans for all modes — and notably higher for vulnerable modes like bicycling and walking.

Although Asian bikers and pedestrians died significantly less often than all other racial groups, the study nonetheless highlights the gross inequity experienced by BIPOC biking and walking in America (this study did not include Indigenous Americans but earlier research found that all-mode traffic fatalities were higher for Indigenous and Black Americans than for white and Asian Americans.)

Gee, I wonder if it might be the ever increasing use of bicycles by the ever increasing Hispanic population?

Did you notice how the "study" totally discounted Asian bikers because their numbers did not fit the "oppressed minority" narrative?
And why is that?

If a black guy is riding a bicycle in the middle of the night in the hood, he's going to be tougher to see and avoid.

Of course any accidents are going to be more frequent and severe than little honky children riding a bicycle in a bucolic cul de sac in the suburbs

And why is that?
There are a lot more Hispanics tooling around on bicycles in my AO than blacks so I can't really speak to the black part but hell you used to not be able to give a used adult-sized bike away but the Hispanic adults snatch them all up now.

That and I suspect the increase in traffic everywhere is also a major cause. No matter what "flavor" you are you take your life in your hands riding a bike on the road in most any older town.

Take my AO, when I was a kid most people only had one car or truck and people seldom parked on the street. Now those same narrow streets are filled with cars/trucks to the point two cars can't pass side by side without one yielding to the other.

Most small towns simply don't have the resources to accommodate bike riders.

Is there any possibility that those two groups have less responsible and less careful riders?

I actually find upper class white type cyclists to be the more annoying when it comes to not following traffic rules.

I think the thing is minorities are probably more likely to cycle to work in congested inner city areas, and thus deal with worse traffic.

As a victim of lib white guilt overload I simply dont care if the study is accurate or just bullshit tripe

Because either way there is nothing that can be done about it so, Oh Well

Last edited:
If a black guy is riding a bicycle in the middle of the night in the hood, he's going to be tougher to see and avoid.

Of course any accidents are going to be more frequent and severe than little honky children riding a bicycle in a bucolic cul de sac in the suburbs
Yes, riding in the hood might be very dangerous.

I actually find upper class white type cyclists to be the more annoying when it comes to not following traffic rules.

I think the thing is minorities are probably more likely to cycle to work in congested inner city areas, and thus deal with worse traffic.

While those White bike clubs are annoying as hell at times they dont ride around in the dark with no lights or reflectors.
I almost killed a mexican driving to work in the early morning. The guy was wearing all black and had no reflectores,if I hadnt seen him at the last second he would have been a truck hood ornament.
He did however get the shit knocked out of him when my trailer mirror nailed him in the back.
I stopped up the road a bit and saw him climbing out of the ditch,the sumbitch dented the shit out of my door.

While those White bike clubs are annoying as hell at times they dont ride around in the dark with no lights or reflectors.
I almost killed a mexican driving to work in the early morning. The guy was wearing all black and had no reflectores,if I hadnt seen him at the last second he would have been a truck hood ornament.
He did however get the shit knocked out of him when my trailer mirror nailed him in the back.
I stopped up the road a bit and saw him climbing out of the ditch,the sumbitch dented the shit out of my door.

True. The thing is all these people advocating biking should also be advocating teaching people how to do it properly.

Could that possibly be because these dumb fucks don't adhere to the rules of the road at a much higher rate than their white counterparts, thus inviting their own demise? Nah Everyone knows these folks are sticklers, when it comes to obeying the rules of society...

Could that possibly be because these dumb fucks don't adhere to the rules of the road at a much higher rate than their white counterparts, thus inviting their own demise? Nah Everyone knows these folks are sticklers, when it comes to obeying the rules of society...

They probably do it out of ignorance, as opposed to the white cycle nuts, who do it intentionally.

I have more sympathy for the working stiff bikers than the latte class.

They probably do it out of ignorance, as opposed to the white cycle nuts, who do it intentionally.

I have more sympathy for the working stiff bikers than the latte class.
No shit, the white spandex crowd are 1st class assholes.

A few years back a bunch out of NOtVA decided it would be a real good idea basically block a winding country road out in the hinterlands with their spandex clad asses and scores would show up on a Saturday morning to ride a 12 mile loop.

The farmers in the area got together and with the help of their hand-held two-way radios would pull out in front of them with a towed piece of farm equipment, drive slow for a couple of miles, then the next one would take over....This went on for miles.

About two weekends running is all it took and they found them another AO to plague. I think what really got them was the manure spreader. ;)

Lots of minority bike messenger and delivery guys in big cities.

No shit, the white spandex crowd are 1st class assholes.

A few years back a bunch out of NOtVA decided it would be a real good idea basically block a winding country road out in the hinterlands with their spandex clad asses and scores would show up on a Saturday morning to ride a 12 mile loop.

The farmers in the area got together and with the help of their hand-held two-way radios would pull out in front of them with a towed piece of farm equipment, drive slow for a couple of miles, then the next one would take over....This went on for miles.

About two weekends running is all it took and they found them another AO to plague. I think what really got them was the manure spreader. ;)

This was a big thing in NYC for a while, not sure if it is as big as it was.

Critical Mass (cycling) - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back