The problem with education

The problem with public education - summed up perfectly in a cartoon.

The problem with public education is that it is public or liberal. The liberals have made our kids the dumbest in the civilized world and yet the liberals still defend their status quo. It ought to be illegal.

The Republican solution is get rid of the rigid bureaucratic liberal unions and use vouchers to give everyone capitalist like incentives to do better day in and day out.

the difference between a private school teacher and a public school teacher lies in the obligation to educate ALL kids. public schools don't get to pick and choose... private schools do. behavior problem? private school doesn't have to take them. uneducable? private school doesn't have to take them. public school? has to take every last one...

and then teachers get abused by people who don't think they should be paid for busing their butts.

What accounts for the fact that the public schools were doing a good job of educating us 50 years ago, but not now? It can't be strictly a matter of private schools picking and choosing. I'm not certain that just because someone is in private school they are automatically easier to educate. Just because Mom and Dad can afford private school doesn't mean that the child is any more teachable, and in fact may be an insufferable little jerk.

If our children got the same education that was given in the 50s they would be further behind than they already are. My children learn more now than when I went to school and graduation from their high school requires 9 more credit hours. Although, it also requires 7 more credit hours than any other school, excluding one private school, in the area.

"My children learn more now than when I went to school..."

Judging by your post, one need only live under a rock on a desert isle and that would be true.

The problem with public education is that it is public . .....

This post is an excellent example of "The Problem with Education."

I suppose you're feeling bad that you didn't realize that liberalism has made our kids the dumbest in the civilized world?

Um, yeah.....

Or, I'm pointing out that your post was moronic.

It does make me feel a twinge of guilt to burst your idiotic partisan bubble: Niether political party, nor conservatives, nor liberals, control "the public school system in the USA."

Niether political party, nor conservatives, nor liberals, control "the public school system in the USA."

If its a public or liberal government school system you can be certain that conservatives oppose it. The liberal unions are perhaps the biggest problem with the schools. They harm the product in schools exactly the way they do in manufacturing. The unions should be made illegal and a voucher system should be introduced to provide capitalist like incentives.

It is disgusting that liberals support the status quo when it has made our kids the least educated in the civilized world. It is perfect testimony to what liberals really are.

Niether political party, nor conservatives, nor liberals, control "the public school system in the USA."

If its a public or liberal government school system you can be certain that conservatives oppose it. The liberal unions are perhaps the biggest problem with the schools. They harm the product in schools exactly the way they do in manufacturing. The unions should be made illegal and a voucher system should be introduced to provide capitalist like incentives.

It is disgusting that liberals support the status quo when it has made our kids the least educated in the civilized world. It is perfect testimony to what liberals really are.
what a bunch of bunk! sheesh

What accounts for the fact that the public schools were doing a good job of educating us 50 years ago, but not now? It can't be strictly a matter of private schools picking and choosing. I'm not certain that just because someone is in private school they are automatically easier to educate. Just because Mom and Dad can afford private school doesn't mean that the child is any more teachable, and in fact may be an insufferable little jerk.

If our children got the same education that was given in the 50s they would be further behind than they already are. My children learn more now than when I went to school and graduation from their high school requires 9 more credit hours. Although, it also requires 7 more credit hours than any other school, excluding one private school, in the area.

If that's the case, then why can't so many of our youth these days spell, use grammar, and do basic math without a calculator or computer? I assure you I am far from behind today's students, and usually out ahead.

Well, some people yearn for the good old days so bad, they see only what they want to see. How could you have gotten the education they are getting when did not even know 1/2 of the things we know today. All of my children can spell, and read, and use punctuation, they can all do basic math without a calculator or a computer and I have actually never met a child that couldn't do these things. There is a school in our area that is all about sports and have gotten in trouble numerous times for passing their sports stars that really only had 8th grade educations because they were never made to do anything in high school. Even all those kids can read, spell, do basic math without electrons, their grammar is a little lacking ... so maybe it is just not a problem here or only a local problem.

"My children learn more now than when I went to school..."

Judging by your post, one need only live under a rock on a desert isle and that would be true.

Thanks, I guess you do not think private schools are better than public, and I know you hate advanced degrees, even if obtained from private religious schools, so I will not ask about that.

what a bunch of bunk! sheesh

I thought I said that.:confused:

It is clear that Eddy isn't capable of much more than regurgitating anti-liberal dogma.

If he considered for a moment that, 1. There is no US school system, and, 2. Other countries in the "civilized world" are much more "liberal" than the USA, his head would probably explode.

No one has any balls anymore. If I were superintendent of that school, I would have told those parents and lawyers to get the fuck out of my office and get in line to sue us. But lawsuits cost money, so bending over seems to be the only way.

What a wonderful message to send to the other students in that school, eh? Football is more important than nearly beating a kid to death.

You are mistaking the cause, but you certainly have the effect "down pat."

In actuality, it is practically impossible to sue any public entity, but school districts are a particularly tough nut. I'm not satying it's impossible, but unless a school bus stops on a train-track, you're unlikely to see any law suite attracing the attention of the vultures in silk ties.

HOWEVER, something almost as bad as losing money is Scandle and Publicity. Superintendents and Principals keep their jobs by not rocking the boat, which often require "bending over."

I respectively disagree.

Tort reform isn't an issue for just New Jersey's businesses and physicians. Budgeting for extensive litigation throughout New Jersey's school districts is having an impact. Just as in the private sector, lawsuit abuse carries consequences. But when it impacts schools, the impact is felt by students and taxpayers, rather than consumers.

The average New Jersey school district allocates approximately $26,000 each school year for litigation expenses. In seven districts, this figure was higher than $500,000 for the 2009-2010 school year. And as one Morris County school district learned, sometimes all it takes is one bad lawyer to affect their budget priorities for years to come.

Legal costs are an issue for N.J. school budgets | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

In the article I posted, the board reversed its position and benched the football players under "HIB". Now their lawyers are really pissed and are considering taking on the new bullying law. I knew that law would be challenged, but I anticipated that it would be over a free speech issue resulting in a school suspension.

This case will be over the "right" to beat someone unconscious (off school grounds) and play football. :evil:

Some of those same parents who blame the teacher may not be checking to see that homework is done, actively support the school, so the child knows his boundaries and doesn't read with their children when they are young.

Maybe they are too busy on the computer... did you check to see your kid's homework tonight? lol

I know around here, some of the schools, 70-80% of the parents are illiterate.

The percentage will decrease, if education is supported, and if it is as good as it can be.

Forum List

Back