The notion that the Earth was the center of the universe was once "settled science"...

This illusion caused by the motion of bodies observed from our angle of reference caused me laughs
Illusion? No. No matter where you stand in the universe, all objects will be speeding away from you, in general.

"Houston... we have a problem... wherever we look at the universe, the galaxies are going away from us... repeat... no matter what direction we are looking at... the whole galaxies are going away from us...!

No matter if the universe stands still or is -as the common assumption declares- expanding. There is no way for us to look at the galaxies and see all of them going away from us. Such an idea is simply unacceptable unless there is a solid explanation given to justify such observation, and the most accurate answer is "illusion" caused by motion and distance.

Except the notion that the earth was the center of the universe wasn't based upon science- and science hadn't even been invented yet.

That is like saying that the stories in the Bible were once considered settled science......

So your thread just doesn't make any sense.
Science was invented a long time before Galileo. The ancient Greeks had scientists. So did the ancient Egyptians and the ancient Chinese. So you're making a very ignorant statement.

The scientific method was not invented until the 17th century.
Funny, I thought that Aristotle was born in the 3rd century BC.

And I don't see the religious fanaticism you see, I see people interested in power.
Neat! And if they had chosen, say, Hellenistic and Socratic thought as the core ideas, instead of primitive, religious thought, things would have turned out differently. Imagine a roman empire focused on scientific enlightenment to please its feudal lords, instead of bringing the heads of infidels on spikes to do the same.

Imagine great centers of learning and enlightenment, in place of the cathedrals.

There is no getting around this,Marty.

You have no idea how it would have played out. Without the organizing strength of the Church during the dark ages, Europe could have reverted back to a hunter gatherer society.

Wow, dragging CS lewis into this.
Yep, a perfect example. Darwin had to coddle him to get him to seriously consider Darwin's work. Initially, all CS Lewis heard was, "Christianity is a myth", due to his mind being constricted by religious dogma. We can watch the same phenomenon on this message board to this very day.

And we can see smug asshole atheists like you daily, with your own biases that you refuse to take into account.

And we can see smug asshole atheists like you daily, with your own biases that you refuse to take into account.
Irrelevant crybabying. Marty, try to hold it together. Baby Jesus hates a whiner.

There's that smug asshole motif I was talking about.
Damn. I don't know why the heck you had to start calling him names. It was an interesting thread until that. Oh well...moving along...

The name calling was just the inevitable result of his condescending tone, typical of the asshole atheist.

But well, no one can disprove it either way, if the earth -or solar system or our galaxy- is indeed the center of the universe or our location is at any other place away from such a center.

You are taking for granted that "is not" at the center of the universe, but you can't prove it either way.

The way we see the universe is the typical story of the blind men with the elephant.

The answer about being located or not at the center of the universe is only one: don't know.

Forum List

Back