The notion that the Earth was the center of the universe was once "settled science"...

You harp on one example, and ignore all the good the Muslim world did preserving the knowledge of the Greeks and Romans while Europe went through their dark ages.
I have clearly listed four examples.

And you make my point for me , to point out the preservation of this thought in the early muslim world. You see the gains it brought them. And you see what happened when the evil caliphate destroyed them.

By then the western world has partially recovered and had taken up the mantle.

And there was still plenty of religion in the western world while this was going on.

Both feudalism and Fascism came after Rome.
Uh...no. The roman empire was feudalistic to the core. Not sure where you're getting your info...

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
Yes, that's right. That is precisely my point. "Coulda", for instance, established heliocentrism 2000 years ago, if not for religious fascism. Uh...thanks for summarizing my points back to me...?

Last edited:
Both feudalism and Fascism came after Rome.
Uh...no. The roman empire was feudalistic to the core. Not sure where youre getting your info...

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
Yes, thats right. That is precisely my point. "Coulda" established heliocebtricm 2000 years ago, if not for religious fascism. Uh...thanks for summarizing my poonts back to me...?

The fact it had a standing army was contrary to one of the basic tenets of what we call feudalism. That and their slave class was not similar to serfs, (nor to chattel slaves for that matter).

Stop trying to make things fit known holes.

Even Darwin, just 150 years ago, felt he had to pay deference to religion in his correspondence and published work in order to get people to seriously consider it. Even though Darwin had come to reject both creationism and christianity (his own findings converted him to agnostic), he had to coddle people like CS Lewis, lest he offend their delicate sensibilities.

All I am pointing out is your anti religious orthodoxy.
Well what a pedantic, worthless, irrelevant venture, since i am spelling it out for you already. When we need a book review comprised completely of stating its title, we will be sure to look you up. ;)

The fact it had a standing army was contrary to one of the basic tenets of what we call feudalism
No it isn't. Marty, give it up. The roman empire was based on feudalism and religious fascism. You aren't going to put words in "just the right order" and rewrite history.

Last edited:
The fact it had a standing army was contrary to one of the basic tenets of what we call feudalism
No it isn't. Marty, give it up. The roman empire was based on feudalism and religious fascism. You aren't going to put words in "just the right order" and rewrite history.

It was far to centralized from a management standpoint to be feudal, despite the allowance of local rule by Roman approved natives or transplants.

And I don't see the religious fanaticism you see, I see people interested in power.

All I am pointing out is your anti religious orthodoxy.
Well what a pedantic, worthless, irrelevant venture, since i am spelling it out for you already. When we need a book review comprised completely of stating its title, we will be sure to look you up. ;)

What a smug little prick you are.
Suck being wrong, eh?

You are the one trying to view all of history via a smudged lens covered by the filth of your own biases.

Even Darwin, just 150 years ago, felt he had to pay deference to religion in his correspondence and published work in order to get people to seriously consider it. Even though Darwin had come to reject both creationism and christianity (his own findings converted him to agnostic), he had to coddle people like CS Lewis, lest he offend their delicate sensibilities.

Wow, dragging CS lewis into this.

And I don't see the religious fanaticism you see, I see people interested in power.
Neat! And if they had chosen, say, Hellenistic and Socratic thought as the core ideas, instead of primitive, religious thought, things would have turned out differently. Imagine a roman empire focused on scientific enlightenment to please its feudal lords, instead of bringing the heads of infidels on spikes to do the same.

Imagine great centers of learning and enlightenment, in place of the cathedrals.

There is no getting around this,Marty.

Last edited:
Wow, dragging CS lewis into this.
Yep, a perfect example. Darwin had to coddle him to get him to seriously consider Darwin's work. Initially, all CS Lewis heard was, "Christianity is a myth", due to his mind being constricted by religious dogma. We can watch the same phenomenon on this message board to this very day.

...and 150 years ago, CS Lewis, without the benefit of the internet, without the benefit of the evidence collected in the 150 years since, came to accept evolutionary theory. Now THAT is something you WON'T see on this message board.

...and 150 years ago, CS Lewis, without the benefit of the internet, without the benefit of the evidence collected in the 150 years since, came to accept evolutionary theory. Now THAT is something you WON'T see on this message board.
C S Lewis was a good writer of science fiction, and as any man he will have ups and downs, like believing in such a fake theory of evolution in his time as atheist.

However, I think the topic here is about "settled science" in times when people believed the earth was the center of the universe.

Forum List

Back