The National Anthem at Arizona State University

David Olson

Rookie
Feb 22, 2016
Hi, New to this message board.

I would like to know the opinion of you all about something that has gone on for years in Arizona.

The teams at Arizona State University stand at attention for the National Anthem (as they should) but their hand over their heart is some times their "fork" gesture, if not that hand it's the hand behind their back making the "fork" gesture.

See this years baseball team, they are obviously proud of this since this picture is on their web page.
upload_2016-2-22_23-36-48.png

And Softball team
upload_2016-2-22_23-37-19.png

The student section is even more disrespectful. Instead of their hand over their heart many hold their hand out (much like the Nazi salute) with their fingers making the "fork" gesture. Then at the end of the anthem where it should be "The home of the brave." The the students yell out "DEVILS" instead of "BRAVE."

During a basketball game

At 1:25 of the clip. Yes, even during a trombone choir.

Here's another basketball game.

At 1:23 of the clip. You can see a ball boy throw out his "fork" gesture.

I have complained to their AD, their President, and even the AZ Board of Regents that run the University system, but nothing has changed.

I feel the National Anthem is to salute the Nation, NOT any one school or group.

If you feel as I do, maybe more voices can change this behavior, my one voice hasn't done any good.

Arizona State's AD is Ray Anderson
Vice President for University Athletics
[email protected]

Arizona State's president is Michael Crow
[email protected]

Jay Heiler - Chair
Arizona Board of Regents
Contact Us | Arizona Board of Regents

Who gives a crap what people do while the anthem is playing? Just worry about what you do and stop trying to control people. Whats disrespectful about it? I know Arizona is a racist state. Does it have some racial connotation?

It is their fucking mascot, the name of their fucking teams. The trombone band was a very cool idea by the way. This is America. It is okay to spice up a stupid song about the war of 1812. And how the fuck can a state be "racist?"

I would like to know the opinion of you all about something that has gone on for years in Arizona.

The teams at Arizona State University stand at attention for the National Anthem (as they should) but their hand over their heart is some times their "fork" gesture, if not that hand it's the hand behind their back making the "fork" gesture.

See this years baseball team, they are obviously proud of this since this picture is on their web page.
View attachment 64490

And Softball team
View attachment 64491

The student section is even more disrespectful. Instead of their hand over their heart many hold their hand out (much like the Nazi salute) with their fingers making the "fork" gesture. Then at the end of the anthem where it should be "The home of the brave." The the students yell out "DEVILS" instead of "BRAVE."

During a basketball game

I have complained to their AD, their President, and even the AZ Board of Regents that run the University system, but nothing has changed.

I feel the National Anthem is to salute the Nation, NOT any one school or group.

If you feel as I do, maybe more voices can change this behavior, my one voice hasn't done any good.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Jay Heiler - Chair
Arizona Board of Regents

Non-issue.

Let me say it this way man......

You are talking about a liberal public college campus event. In 2016....just be lucky they still allow the national anthem to be played.

I don't see an issue with it. A quirky twist for school spirit no biggie.

ASU will be the first institution to fall in the Mexican La Reconquista without a shot fired

Who gives a crap what people do while the anthem is playing? Just worry about what you do and stop trying to control people. Whats disrespectful about it? I know Arizona is a racist state. Does it have some racial connotation?
Nobody thrives on racism like you do. Not around here at least. If 1/10th of your comments were instructional to the black race and the other 9/10ths critical of all things white, that would be one small step forward for mankind, one giant leap forward for you.

Last edited:

View attachment 64490

And Softball team
View attachment 64491

During a basketball game

[email protected]

[email protected]

Jay Heiler - Chair
Arizona Board of Regents

I am looking for a non-conformist on one of those teams. That would be noteworthy.

The fact that a huge percentage of the student body takes part in promoting their sun devil identity at the expense of another symbolic gesture, such as patriotism or some salute, etc., that does not surprise me nor much bother me. What does bother me is the fact people refer to themselves as “devils” or salute the devil even in the most innocent or joking ways. It really cannot be done. You cannot joke about the devil without some kind of unknown and unanticipated ramifications any more than you can use the Lord’s name in vain or in a joke and think that it bears no consequence.

AZ State should shed the “devils” shortened nickname long before any school needs to abandon warriors or fighting Sioux. IMO. But of course, schools are “hell bent” on being as secular (even irreverent) as they can possibly be and proud of it.

Last edited:
Nobody thrives on racism like you do. Not around here at least. If 1/10th of your comments were instructional to the black race and the other 9/10ths critical of all things white, that would be one small step forward for mankind, one giant leap forward for you.
I would say 5/10ths is instructional to both the Black and white race. The other 5/10ths is just poking fun at racists.

I would say 5/10ths is instructional to both the Black and white race. The other 5/10ths is just poking fun at racists.
why would you poke fun at yourself?

There are many reasons for poking fun at yourself. Why do you ask?

Hey at least they haven't started singing the Mexican national anthem. Not yet anyway.

What is the Mexican national anthem anyway ? Cocaine ?

I know Arizona is a racist state.
Yeah i just saw Arizona the other day hanging Black people.

It's SO racist that one of my favorite KKK YouTubers lives there.

Its so racist that MLK day is not even a holiday.

Really?
Phoenix is our Capital
Greater Phoenix Celebrates Diversity and MLK, Jr.
Martin Luther King Day 2014 Tucson Events - KXCI Tucson 91.3 FM

I didnt realize Arizona changed their minds after the boycott. Money does work wonders.

I know Arizona is a racist state.
Yeah i just saw Arizona the other day hanging Black people.

It's SO racist that one of my favorite KKK YouTubers lives there.

Its so racist that MLK day is not even a holiday.

Really?
Phoenix is our Capital
Greater Phoenix Celebrates Diversity and MLK, Jr.
Martin Luther King Day 2014 Tucson Events - KXCI Tucson 91.3 FM

I didnt realize Arizona changed their minds after the boycott. Money does work wonders.

Yep, some times. :)

There are many reasons for poking fun at yourself. Why do you ask?
No particular reason, I get a kick out of hypocritical libturd racists such as yourself and you pointing it out to everyone.

Forum List

Back