The Life of Jesus

I've asked this question before to different Christians and I'm always intrigued of how they're going to answer it. We all know Jesus was sinless, but do you think He ever made mistakes that involves not sinning? Like did He ever get tongue tied or misspell something? Also, do you think He always knew right from wrong or did He have to be taught it first? Since not knowing any better doesn't really count for sinning in my book. (I mean obviously if He got told no as a toddler He would instantly obey as He didn't have temper tantrums, but I'm talking about before that here.)

Also, bonus question. Do you think that Jesus got ill as an infant and a child and even as an adult? I think I read somewhere that sin and illness go together, but I don't remember if it was from the Bible. Here's what I think though about all of this. All we know from the Bible is that Jesus was sinless and He was the perfect sacrifice for our sins on the cross. Now, whether or not that means He didn't make any mistakes and always knew right from wrong is questionable since we just know He was sinless period.

We are also getting close to Christmastime and a lot of people seem to think that that song Away In A Manger meant that Jesus NEVER cried. (The little Lord Jesus no crying He makes part.) However, we already know that's not true because the shortest verse in the Bible is Jesus wept. John 11:35. So of course He cried as a baby, child, and an adult because crying if it's done out of sadness, pain, or communication when you can't speak yet is not a sin. It's only a sin if it's done when you can't get your own way. Anyways, I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts about this.
He created the universe and your asking about if maybe he made a math mistake.
Ya, ok.
He is and was prefect in every way

We all know Jesus was sinless, but do you think He ever made mistakes that involves not sinning?
I think there were times he wasn't instantly sure of what he should do. One of the three temptations in the desert was that he could become rule the world and become renown in his own time. Instead he recognized his mission was to proclaim a message in a poor region and not become known to many. We often read that he asked people not to spread news of his miracles. There could be miracles that were never broadcast.

Once, when Jesus was outside of his own boundaries, a Canaanite woman began pleading with him to heal her daughter. Jesus did not respond. Was he thinking of that third temptation about becoming renown throughout the land versus the small mission he was given to proclaim the message of "Sins are forgiven" in Judea? Was the miracle God's will or was he being tempted to gain attention, not for God, but for himself? Was the woman's faith the deciding factor?

Jesus probably always knew.

Well I guess it's possible. I mean, I was told I was adopted before I could speak and even knew what that meant so yeah,.. Mary and Joseph might have talked about it with Him when He was an infant as well.
I think there were times he wasn't instantly sure of what he should do.

Well that part is obvious as He even prayed and asked for the cup to be removed from Him. He didn't want to die and I can't say I really blame Him as it was a really brutal death even though He rose again three days later from it. He only went through with it out of love for us.

He is and was prefect in every way

Really? Even in a sinless way? Because that's not human and Jesus was human in every sense just like He was God in every sense.

I thought Jesus was God?

He is, but don't attempt to try and fully understand the trinity because I've stopped really trying as God's the only one who can understand it completely one hundred percent. Also, the thing is there are a LOT of things about Jesus that we don't know because if the Bible listed every little detail it would be a whole LOT thicker and there would be a WHOLE library about it.

However, we can speculate that Jesus as a man wasn't completely perfect in a sinless way and all knowing because Luke 2:52 says that He grew in wisdom and maturity. Which probably means He had to be schooled just like other children and didn't know how to add or subtract until He was taught how to, which also probably means that He made a mistake at times as that's definitely not classified as sin. That's just a natural process of learning.

Even though it's not Christmas yet, I love this song because it talks about how even though He was (and still is) the Son of God in every way possible, He was also a regular infant, child, and an adult and did everything that all humans do except for sinning. :)

He is, but don't attempt to try and fully understand the trinity because I've stopped really trying as God's the only one who can understand it completely one hundred percent. Also, the thing is there are a LOT of things about Jesus that we don't know because if the Bible listed every little detail it would be a whole LOT thicker and there would be a WHOLE library about it.

However, we can speculate that Jesus as a man wasn't completely perfect in a sinless way and all knowing because Luke 2:52 says that He grew in wisdom and maturity. Which probably means He had to be schooled just like other children and didn't know how to add or subtract until He was taught how to, which also probably means that He made a mistake at times as that's definitely not classified as sin. That's just a natural process of learning.

Even though it's not Christmas yet, I love this song because it talks about how even though He was (and still is) the Son of God in every way possible, He was also a regular infant, child, and an adult and did everything that all humans do except for sinning. :)

Your honesty is refreshing. Too many religious people refuse to admit that faith is the basis of their beliefs and are comfortable not knowing everything scientific and historical fact behind it.

Your honesty is refreshing. Too many religious people refuse to admit that faith is the basis of their beliefs and are comfortable not knowing everything scientific and historical fact behind it.

Thank you. :)

Yeah, but Jesus was God in human flesh. So the human part of Him was normal, but He also performed miracles as an adult and was without sin. Otherwise the sacrifice at the cross wouldn't have worked. As He was the ONLY one without sin and I can't emphasis that enough because a lot of people think that Mary was sinless, but if she was then she could have just died on the cross for us.

When we pass into this life, our minds are wiped clean. We come into this life knowing nothing of where we came, or what we experienced before.

I think it is clear that this is not entirely true of Jesus, that he came into this life with at least some of the knowledge that is stripped from us at birth.

How can a child who never sins, never does anything wrong, seem like a normal child? I don't find that at all difficult to grasp. The child that is always in trouble, you notice. You may notice, of a child, that he rarely gets into any trouble. A child who truly never gets into trouble, ever, would you really notice that, or would you simply notice that you're not aware of him having ever been in trouble, but stop short of assuming that because it never comes to your attention, that he hasn't been in trouble on occasion, just outside of your awareness?

Have you ever seen the movie Unbreakable? The protagonist early in the movie, finds a note on his car, asking how many days in his life he has been ill. He honestly doesn't know. He cannot think of any time that he's been ill, but it never occurred to him that he'd never been ill, or to wonder what the significance of that was. Perhaps that is how it was with Jesus, at least in the view of this who knew him as he grew up. If someone who knew Jesus as a child, found an anonymous note on his car asking how many things Jesus had ever done wrong, that person might similarly come to realize, as he hadn't before, that he cannot find any instance of it having happened, but probably wouldn't have thought about it without that note to prod him.

The Son of God made an appearance even before He was born. The "man" Jacob wrestled with in Genesis 32: 24-30 is believed to have been Jesus.

Jesus Wrestles with Jacob…Genesis 32:24-30

Jacob’s Wrestling Partner: Jesus in Genesis 32 and 35

35 Jacob wrestles with Jesus - M2819 Bible Studies

I've asked this question before to different Christians and I'm always intrigued of how they're going to answer it. We all know Jesus was sinless, but do you think He ever made mistakes that involves not sinning? Like did He ever get tongue tied or misspell something? Also, do you think He always knew right from wrong or did He have to be taught it first? Since not knowing any better doesn't really count for sinning in my book. (I mean obviously if He got told no as a toddler He would instantly obey as He didn't have temper tantrums, but I'm talking about before that here.)

Also, bonus question. Do you think that Jesus got ill as an infant and a child and even as an adult? I think I read somewhere that sin and illness go together, but I don't remember if it was from the Bible. Here's what I think though about all of this. All we know from the Bible is that Jesus was sinless and He was the perfect sacrifice for our sins on the cross. Now, whether or not that means He didn't make any mistakes and always knew right from wrong is questionable since we just know He was sinless period.

We are also getting close to Christmastime and a lot of people seem to think that that song Away In A Manger meant that Jesus NEVER cried. (The little Lord Jesus no crying He makes part.) However, we already know that's not true because the shortest verse in the Bible is Jesus wept. John 11:35. So of course He cried as a baby, child, and an adult because crying if it's done out of sadness, pain, or communication when you can't speak yet is not a sin. It's only a sin if it's done when you can't get your own way. Anyways, I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts about this.

the fact no recordings exist for the itinerant's childhood proves again the 4th century christian bible is not a reflection of the 1st century liberation theology as taught in overcoming sin as its basis but for the opposite reason they claim the itinerant gave their life that of servitude without remediation. tdw.

the itinerant overcame their sins to free their spirit for which in the final chapter of their life they were crucified.

Well isn't that convenient. Or, we didn't exist before we were born and do not exist after we die.
Or, you can ask yourself to write out everything you remember happening to you in the 24 hour period day before yesterday, eleven years ago. Be sure to include wearing apparel, everything you ate, and every word of every conversation.

To me, the interesting thing in Jesus' 12 year old experience is what he said to his mother.

49And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 50But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.

He said, "I must be about My Father's business". At 12 years old Jesus had a personal relationship with his Father in Heaven. It was his Father in Heaven's business that had him teaching the scholars in the temple. So he had probably had that relationship much earlier to be able to instruct scholars in the temple. So my guess is that Jesus had a very personal relationship with his Father in Heaven at a very young age. Perhaps his teaching from on high from a very early age kept him from ever sinning while growing up as a little child.

Luke 2:52
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

If this verse be true, then Jesus wasn't perfect in wisdom and stature from his birth but gained it as he grew. Thus having a perfect Heavenly Father help raise him up was a great influence in his not falling into mischief.

Well I guess it's possible. I mean, I was told I was adopted before I could speak and even knew what that meant so yeah,.. Mary and Joseph might have talked about it with Him when He was an infant as well.

Well that part is obvious as He even prayed and asked for the cup to be removed from Him. He didn't want to die and I can't say I really blame Him as it was a really brutal death even though He rose again three days later from it. He only went through with it out of love for us.

Really? Even in a sinless way? Because that's not human and Jesus was human in every sense just like He was God in every sense.
The fall of Adam did 2 things.
bring
1. sin into the world
2. Death.
For this debt to be paid for it had to be done by someone who was not subject to sin, and not subject to death
Jesus accomplished both.
Jesus was perfect in every way.

1. jesus '''sinned''''...he was not a god/not son of god
2. sin is a religious term---= fairy tales = fake ..religion is BELIEFS = fake
3. he was just a man liker all others
Why do you feel the need to participate in these discussions since you don't even believe in God.

The RELIGION of Atheism has the most fanatical evangelists

They don't believe on God but they're determined to lecture us about the nature of God. These people are pathetic

Why do you feel the need to participate in these discussions since you don't even believe in God.

The RELIGION of Atheism has the most fanatical evangelists

They don't believe on God but they're determined to lecture us about the nature of God. These people are pathetic

you are the example of your own complaint, and worse use your 4th century book who's authors were the very crucifiers of the 1st century main character they misrepresent, the state religion of the roman empire and have been doing so in persecution and victimization of the innocent from that time to the present.

liberation theology is like putting a torch to butter in the minds of christianity.

Read the scriptures, in the Book of Isaiah (53:9) the Bible states that the Messiah would not lie. Even as a child Jesus had the "essence" of His Father in being God in the Flesh. Yet in being the son of His mother He was the Son of Man and was tempted in all ways like every other human on earth can be tempted (Heb. 4:15)....but He did not sin (to address your question, no He did not lie).

Did He have the opportunity to lie? Yes, every day He was on earth He had the opportunity. But Jesus knew that He would never lie. Having foreknowledge as God incarnate did rob the person (Jesus) of the ability to change any future event....as He was tempted in ALL THINGS yet sinned not. Jesus being God, "emptied Himself" (Phil. 2:7) in becoming Subordinate to God the Father and was indeed Tempted in All Ways that Humans can be tempted in His humanity.

The inspired Peter told us, "....that you should follow His (Jesus') steps, Who committed no sin, nor was guile found in His mouth." -- 1 Peter 2:22

Truthfully? No one on earth will fully understand how Jesus came to earth "incarnate" and was still considered 100% Human and 100% God in essence.....yet the Bible tells us much about His duplex nature....as the scriptures tell us, Such thoughts are beyond our capacity to fully comprehend......as the ways of God are beyond our human reasoning.

Peter also informed us that Jesus in being the perfect sacrificial lamb, was, "a lamb without spot nor blemish" -- 1 Peter 1:19. So, no Jesus never sinned. But.......the scriptures give us a glance at the early life of Jesus.....and that Jesus grew in wisdom as would any human with age (Luke 2:43-52). And the people around Him were astonished that one so young could be so wise at such a young age.

Last edited:
Or, you can ask yourself to write out everything you remember happening to you in the 24 hour period day before yesterday, eleven years ago.
You comparing that to me not being able to write down a single thing for 30+ years is really really, dumb and desperate. Then add the fact he was allegedly visited by three kings as a baby, and, well, you have the makings of grade A bullshit.

Forum List

Back