Patron Saints

How do you know who your Patron Saint is? Did you pick your own Patron Saint?
In Catholicism, one often selects their own patron saint when being confirmed. Parents often name their babies after a saint. Or, when one is committed to a career, they discover the patron saint over that career. Funny story (kind of). When I was in elementary school, I loved the story of Saint Dominic Savio. He adopted the philosophy of working at being a saint and to do so, one had to do ordinary things in an ordinary way. He died young. I was determined when I was confirmed, I would name him as my own patron saint. I was crushed when the time came, because at that time the patron saint chosen had to be the same gender as the person being confirmed.

I went for the next best thing--a name I liked. Elizabeth. But I did not want Mary's Cousin Elizabeth. (I was named for Mary, and I didn't want Mary and Elizabeth to get into a fight over me.) Grin. Young and naive.

I began reading about Catholic Elizabeths and came across Elizabeth Seton. I chose her. And was told I could not have her because, although beatified, she had not yet been declared a Saint. I dropped the Seton, but secretly kept Elizabeth Seton. I knew Cousin Elizabeth would understand. And Elizabeth Seton knew that Dominic Savio was still my favorite saint, anyway.

I know there is a book of Saints I can read about but some people told me their Saint found them. Anyway I have only been praying the rosary since August. I had been with a different group before this and they were going into an ideology that made no sense to me. So I randomly found this Mother / Daughter duo who pray the rosary and I thought I would join in and pray. I was praying about a month later I thought how do I know it's true perhaps I am insane. Well in the spring and summer I feed birds in my backyard usually just street-type pigeons and sparrows robins are what I get. But right after I thought the thought I just told you about I looked out my window and a white pigeon flew to the feeder but just stared at me. It ate food and hung out that day but never saw it again. It made me think of the white dove story in Noah's ark. I just interpreted it as I'm on the right track. I thought maybe my Patron Saint would show up the same way. But I have not gone to a church or anything. I'm in Utah I think we only have 3 catholic churches. not sure. Also, I get social anxiety so I like the rosary the lady does with her daughter it really helps me.

Thanks for sharing your story I liked it alot.

In Catholicism, one often selects their own patron saint when being confirmed. Parents often name their babies after a saint. Or, when one is committed to a career, they discover the patron saint over that career. Funny story (kind of). When I was in elementary school, I loved the story of Saint Dominic Savio. He adopted the philosophy of working at being a saint and to do so, one had to do ordinary things in an ordinary way. He died young. I was determined when I was confirmed, I would name him as my own patron saint. I was crushed when the time came, because at that time the patron saint chosen had to be the same gender as the person being confirmed.

I went for the next best thing--a name I liked. Elizabeth. But I did not want Mary's Cousin Elizabeth. (I was named for Mary, and I didn't want Mary and Elizabeth to get into a fight over me.) Grin. Young and naive.

I began reading about Catholic Elizabeths and came across Elizabeth Seton. I chose her. And was told I could not have her because, although beatified, she had not yet been declared a Saint. I dropped the Seton, but secretly kept Elizabeth Seton. I knew Cousin Elizabeth would understand. And Elizabeth Seton knew that Dominic Savio was still my favorite saint, anyway.
One would "first" have to believe and accept the dogma that is of Catholic "tradition". There is no authority for any individual to given the special office of "SAINT" within the revelations found in the Holy Bible.

Paul talks a great deal about "saints" in his records. He speaks of the "saints at Ephesus". But who are these saints? Do they know they are saints? Did Paul know that he was considered a saint? According to Catholic tradition Sainthood is a reward to be granted Posthumously. Tradition would have it that sainthood can only be achieved by a supposed Super Christian, distinct from the lay Christian. Catholics treat this special office just as if it where some kind of an election...casting votes, after a nomination process and finally a "conformation".

Truth as taught in the scriptures: God refers to any individual who has became a Christian as a "Saint".

What is a saint as defined by scriptural revelation? It means one who has been sanctified/devoted to God and His word, one who has been set apart in holy service to God......as all Christians are such advised (1 Cor. 1:2), Paul is addressing the entire Church of God....i.e, the entire Christian community at Corinth not just a single individual that has sanctified their lives to God, "Unto the Church of God which is at Corinth, TO THEM THAT ARE SANCTIFIED IN CHIRST JESUS, called to be saints with all in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and our's; "

When you are washed, but you Sanctified, but you were justified in the Lord Jesus Christ, and by the Spirit of our God." -- 1 Cor. 6:11. When you become Christians via washing away your sins through Baptism you become Sanctified in the Name of Jesus Christ by the Spirit of God. You become a Saint.......there is no special office held by just few individual selected by Catholic decree.........we are all members of royal priesthood with Jesus serving as our Chief Priest. (1 Peter 2:9)

We are all to offer spiritual sacrifices as members of a royal priesthood to God (1 Peter 2:5)

There is no authority for any individual to given the special office of "SAINT" within the revelations found in the Holy Bible.
Those who followed Christ became known as saints very early on. All of us who follow Christ are saints. Those who play sports are athletes. If they are pros and play over and above the average, they are inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame. Same with saints. Those who go above and beyond in living the faith become known as Saints. It is the Hall of Fame for the faithful.

Those who followed Christ became known as saints very early on. All of us who follow Christ are saints. Those who play sports are athletes. If they are pros and play over and above the average, they are inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame. Same with saints. Those who go above and beyond in living the faith become known as Saints. It is the Hall of Fame for the faithful.

Priceless. What is the difference between the tradition of men inducting men into a hall of fame and the Catholic Dogmatic Tradition of inducting men into a supposed Super Christian hall of fame? NOTHING..........both actions stim from the actions men, NOT GOD. There is no authorization to induct anyone into a special status of being a Super Christian. If it exists......show us the doctrine found in the word of God.

Our faith as Christians comes from "......hearing the word of God" not from hearing the decree of men. (Romans 10:17)

We are to be Sanctified/devoted to truth. What is Truth and where is it found. (John 17:17) God's word is truth and it exists as doctrine in the word of God. Again, it must be pointed out.........a PAPAL decree is not THE WORD OF GOD. Saints as described by Catholic tradition is a man made tradition........just like the induction process of any sports team. But we are instructed to worship in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:24)......we are not to worship any man, angel or demon, pagan statue, or graven image. Only God is to be worshiped. We certainly are not authorized to pray to any SAINT.

What is the word of God? "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; THAT THE MAN OF GOD MAY BE PERFECT, THROUGHLY FURNISHED UNTO ALL GOOD WORK." -- 2 Tim. 3:16-17

Last edited:
What is the difference
There is no difference. For some reason you are very much against giving any recognition to people who go above and beyond. I am guessing you may be on the side of no scores/no winners/losers in youth sports and everyone is the same. We should all be Borgs like Seven of Nine?

There is no need for non-Catholics to be bothered by Catholic traditions. That is like football players being bothered that basketball players get free throws. Peace.

There is no difference. For some reason you are very much against giving any recognition to people who go above and beyond. I am guessing you may be on the side of no scores/no winners/losers in youth sports and everyone is the same. We should all be Borgs like Seven of Nine?

There is no need for non-Catholics to be bothered by Catholic traditions. That is like football players being bothered that basketball players get free throws. Peace.
I am against FALSE DOCTRINE in any way shape or form. Your logic or rather lack thereof is the same as saying its ok to witness a murder and say nothing, its none of your business. Truth is found only in one place. The Word of God. And............................. So salvation means nothing to you? I have a Christian Duty, "..........and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason for the hope that is in you......with meakness and FEAR." -- 1 Peter 3:15

Why? "...It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." -- Heb. 10:31

"For kings, and for all that is in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all Godliness and HONESTY. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior; WHO WILL HAVE ALL MEN TO BE SAVED AND COME TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH." -- 1 Tim. 2:2-4

Catholics are men........are they not? :eusa_think: The word of God does not go out and come back void. (Isa. 51:11)

Priceless. What is the difference between the tradition of men inducting men into a hall of fame and the Catholic Dogmatic Tradition of inducting men into a supposed Super Christian hall of fame? NOTHING..........both actions stim from the actions men, NOT GOD. There is no authorization to induct anyone into a special status of being a Super Christian. If it exists......show us the doctrine found in the word of God.

Our faith as Christians comes from "......hearing the word of God" not from hearing the decree of men. (Romans 10:17)

We are to be Sanctified/devoted to truth. What is Truth and where is it found. (John 17:17) God's word is truth and it exists as doctrine in the word of God. Again, it must be pointed out.........a PAPAL decree is not THE WORD OF GOD. Saints as described by Catholic tradition is a man made tradition........just like the induction process of any sports team. But we are instructed to worship in Spirit and in Truth (John 4:24)......we are not to worship any man, angel or demon, pagan statue, or graven image. Only God is to be worshiped. We certainly are not authorized to pray to any SAINT.

What is the word of God? "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; THAT THE MAN OF GOD MAY BE PERFECT, THROUGHLY FURNISHED UNTO ALL GOOD WORK." -- 2 Tim. 3:16-17
Has nothing to do with the fact that the NT calls believers Saints, we become a "Saint" by our belief Catholicism uses the word and entirely different way.

Has nothing to do with the fact that the NT calls believers Saints, we become a "Saint" by our belief Catholicism uses the word and entirely different way.
Question? How is a "HOLY SAINT" treated different by Jesus than any other Christian in heaven......when the office is bestowed AFTER DEATH? :dunno: This office is not to benefit the one that is being elected superior to other Christians but its a designation to make the clergy "feel" more important than the laity.

The point made by the scriptures in calling all Christians "saints"............is to point out that all Christians are = EQUAL, unlike the organization established by the cult that calls itself The Universal Roman Catholic Church where the church is organized more like a military unit with specific offices, some offices self professed to be superior to other offices..etc.
The scriptures state that all Christians are equal, there is neither male nor female, Jew nor Greek/Gentile, bond/slave or free......all are equal when baptized into the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ (Gal. 3:28-29)

Paul, who is responsible for the majority of the N.T. books uses the term Saint to address ALL CHRISTIANS when writing to different Christian Congregations. The scriptures identify SAINT not as a special group of Christians....officially sainted by the church leaders....but the word is used as a "designation" for ALL CHRISTIANS. (Rom. 1:7, 2 Cor.1:1, Eph. 1:1, Phil. 1:1, Col. 1:2).

......one of these supposed offices that separates and divides one Christian from another is the way the RCC uses the term "Saint"..........in order to obtain such a high office in the RCC, they place conditions other than simply obeying the word of God to achieve "SAINTHOOD"....one must be nominated (like an election held by men), after death. In fact the RCC has established 58 special days...i.e, holidays/feast days to honor supposed Saints that have been elected to the office after death.

Thus, the RCC misuses the term Saint as well as the term Priest........The Roman Catholic Church is causing division when its traditions are contradicting the Word of God. (Matthew 23, Mark 7:13) As pointed out.......Satan is a liar and father of all lies (John 8:44) The RCC is filled with the "........practice of spiritual wickedness in high places" -- Eph. 6:12..........and there is only one thing to combat such blatant lies.........use the Sword of God, i.e, the truth found in the word of God (Eph. 6:17)

The scriptures self define themselves. Simply look at how the word Saint is presented in scripture and how the Roman Catholic Church has corrupted the term by its TRADITIONS. The RCC uses the term like the office is used to honor some Religious Hero....therefore promoting a supposed importance of one Christian over another........much like the RCC separates the laity from the Clergy...pretending that the Clergy is more important and not equal whatsoever with all church members. When the holy scriptures declare that ALL CHRISTIANS........clergy and laity are members of a Royal Priesthood and require no other high priest than Jesus Christ Himself as High Priest in the kingdom of God/Church.

There is no authority/requirement or need for any priest to make prayer for any other church member in the church established by Christ Jesus' doctrine. As members of a Royal Priesthood, each Christian can pray for themselves in asking forgiveness of sin (1 Peter 2:9, Its easy to document this fact by Book, Chapter and Verse. (1 Peter 2:9, Hebrews 4:14-16, 1 John 1:9)

Last edited:
Question? How is a "HOLY SAINT" treated different by Jesus than any other Christian in heaven......when the office is bestowed AFTER DEATH? :dunno: This office is not to benefit the one that is being elected superior to other Christians but its a designation to make the clergy "feel" more important than the laity.

The point made by the scriptures in calling all Christians "saints"............is to point out that all Christians are = EQUAL, unlike the organization established by the cult that calls itself The Universal Roman Catholic Church where the church is organized more like a military unit with specific offices, some offices self professed to be superior to other offices..etc.
The scriptures state that all Christians are equal, there is neither male nor female, Jew nor Greek/Gentile, bond/slave or free......all are equal when baptized into the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ (Gal. 3:28-29)

Paul, who is responsible for the majority of the N.T. books uses the term Saint to address ALL CHRISTIANS when writing to different Christian Congregations. The scriptures identify SAINT not as a special group of Christians....officially sainted by the church leaders....but the word is used as a "designation" for ALL CHRISTIANS. (Rom. 1:7, 2 Cor.1:1, Eph. 1:1, Phil. 1:1, Col. 1:2).

......one of these supposed offices that separates and divides one Christian from another is the way the RCC uses the term "Saint"..........in order to obtain such a high office in the RCC, they place conditions other than simply obeying the word of God to achieve "SAINTHOOD"....one must be nominated (like an election held by men), after death. In fact the RCC has established 58 special days...i.e, holidays/feast days to honor supposed Saints that have been elected to the office after death.

Thus, the RCC misuses the term Saint as well as the term Priest........The Roman Catholic Church is causing division when its traditions are contradicting the Word of God. (Matthew 23, Mark 7:13) As pointed out.......Satan is a liar and father of all lies (John 8:44) The RCC is filled with the "........practice of spiritual wickedness in high places" -- Eph. 6:12..........and there is only one thing to combat such blatant lies.........use the Sword of God, i.e, the truth found in the word of God (Eph. 6:17)

The scriptures self define themselves. Simply look at how the word Saint is presented in scripture and how the Roman Catholic Church has corrupted the term by its TRADITIONS. The RCC uses the term like the office is used to honor some Religious Hero....therefore promoting a supposed importance of one Christian over another........much like the RCC separates the laity from the Clergy...pretending that the Clergy is more important and not equal whatsoever with all church members. When the holy scriptures declare that ALL CHRISTIANS........clergy and laity are members of a Royal Priesthood and require no other high priest than Jesus Christ Himself as High Priest in the kingdom of God/Church.

There is no authority/requirement or need for any priest to make prayer for any other church member in the church established by Christ Jesus' doctrine. As members of a Royal Priesthood, each Christian can pray for themselves in asking forgiveness of sin (1 Peter 2:9, Its easy to document this fact by Book, Chapter and Verse. (1 Peter 2:9, Hebrews 4:14-16, 1 John 1:9)

I am not a Catholic, I don't care what they do. I never claimed that my "sainthood" made me superior to anyone.

I am not a Catholic, I don't care what they do. I never claimed that my "sainthood" made me superior to anyone.
Can't comprehend "English"? Point to any part of the post presented that charged you with anything. You are the one that brought the Roman Catholic Church into the discussion, not I. Quote: "........we become a saint (just as I pointed out....by obeying the Gospel/Word of God) by our belief, Roman Catholicism uses the word AND (I am sure you meant IN) an entirely different way".

My entire post was revealing the Dogma of Roman Catholicism that is based upon man made traditions, not the Word of God.

You sure had a cow when it was pointed out the fact that the word of God uses the term SAINT as an indicator of equality and faith within the kingdom of God..........my entire post was presented and documented by Book, Chapter and Verse that demonstrated the word of God used the term Saint much like it uses the term priesthood in a demonstration of agreement within the brotherhood of Christ........as all Christians are saints as confirmed in Paul's writings .....just as all Christians are "members of a royal priesthood with Jesus as our high priest" confirms that all Christians are equal as confirmed by both Paul and Peter's writings. :deal:

All Christians.......are priests and can approach our Lord and high priest Jesus Christ in prayer without the need or requirement of any middle man. There are no special offices or positions that are superior to any other Christian. The is no authority found in the Word of God to separate the laity from the clergy.....just like there is no Super Christian that can be made into a superior Christian by the RCC calling the person a Holy Saint after their death.

Last edited:
Can't comprehend "English"? Point to any part of the post presented that charged you with anything. You are the one that brought the Roman Catholic Church into the discussion, not I. Quote: "........we become a saint (just as I pointed out....by obeying the Gospel/Word of God) by our belief, Roman Catholicism uses the word AND (I am sure you meant IN) an entirely different way".

My entire post was revealing the Dogma of Roman Catholicism that is based upon man made traditions, not the Word of God.

You sure had a cow when it was pointed out the fact that the word of God uses the term SAINT as an indicator of equality and faith within the kingdom of God..........my entire post was presented and documented by Book, Chapter and Verse that demonstrated the word of God used the term Saint much like it uses the term priesthood in a demonstration of agreement within the brotherhood of Christ........as all Christians are saints as confirmed in Paul's writings .....just as all Christians are "members of a royal priesthood with Jesus as our high priest" confirms that all Christians are equal as confirmed by both Paul and Peter's writings. :deal:

All Christians.......are priests and can approach our Lord and high priest Jesus Christ in prayer without the need or requirement of any middle man. There are no special offices or positions that are superior to any other Christian. The is no authority found in the Word of God to separate the laity from the clergy.....just like there is no Super Christian that can be made into a superior Christian by the RCC calling the person a Holy Saint after their death.

LOL, you think a lot of yourself eh? I never "have a cow" son, I'm too experienced at this. Are you tired of reiterating the very things I have posted?

LOL, you think a lot of yourself eh? I never "have a cow" son, I'm too experienced at this. Are you tired of reiterating the very things I have posted?
I think a lot of the "Word of God"..........I profess to writing nothing, I simply presented the Book, Chapter and Verse that demonstrated the RCC to be based upon tradition rather than the actual content of the Word of God.

Yeah......you proved your experience........."the RCC uses the word AND entirely different way". Your brilliance simply overwhelmed me. Actually......your own words prove the extent of your EXPERIENCE.;) You provided no objective evidence, just ad hominem rhetoric........I just filled in the blanks by Book, Chapter and Verse. Anyone that is actually intelligent has no need for self advertisement.

I'd wager you are a proponent of Obama Care? Why? To pay for the ER every time you dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back. :cow:

Last edited:

Who knows the Word of God?
Nobody!
Or have you ever had him/her/it - on the phone?

It is better to trust traditions.

Well written! :)

I like your words! :)

Forum List

Back