The Feast of the Circumcision: A Blessed New Year!

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
While January 1 marks the beginning of the civil new year—and we wish every blessing of the season to our readers—it also marks the Feast of the Circumcision of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

On the eighth day after His Nativity, our Lord Jesus Christ was circumcised in accordance with the Old Testament Law. All male infants underwent circumcision as a sign of God’s Covenant with the holy Forefather Abraham and his descendants [Genesis 17:10-14, Leviticus 12:3].

After this ritual, the Divine Infant was given the name Jesus, as the Archangel Gabriel declared on the day of the Annunciation to the Most Holy Theotokos [Luke 1:31-33, 2:21]. The Fathers of the Church explain that the Lord, the Creator of the Law, underwent circumcision in order to give people an example of how faithfully the divine ordinances ought to be fulfilled. The Lord was circumcised so that later no one would doubt that He had truly assumed human flesh, and that His Incarnation was not merely an illusion, as certain heretics had taught.
The Feast of the Circumcision:  A Blessed New Year!

Orthodox still celebrates it on January 1st.

Why does the son of god, born of a virgin birth, sent to save mankind from its sins, require a foreskin free schlong?

What demography in the world has the largest amount of circumcised humans?

Muslims. But, January 1st was the Feast of the Circumcision Day in the Catholic Church and was shared with a Marian Feast Day. Now the Feast of the Circumcision Day kind of disappeared. The Orthodox still has it.

Yes people forgot that this day was known as the feast of circumsision...lol.... Just another coverup by the popes in Rome who moved New Year's Day from April 1 .( that is why it is such a big joke that day) to today in the 15 th century..You see Rome gets to fool the people in every way and laugh at them by doing so... January the month s named after the Roman god Janus who had more then one face so he could look forwards into the new year and backward into the old one...It also made sense to the Romans because Sol Invictus day could be pushed as the birth of their idol and the feast of circumzion could be pushed as well 8 days later or later on New Year's Day when none were the wiser... You can still see the day referred to as feast of circumsicion in some of the older calendars... Games within games and deceptions within deceptions...

Muslims. But, January 1st was the Feast of the Circumcision Day in the Catholic Church and was shared with a Marian Feast Day. Now the Feast of the Circumcision Day kind of disappeared. The Orthodox still has it.
In Russia?

His Holiness Patriarch Kirill. Where There is God, There is Life. January 1/14 / OrthoChristian.Com
Calendar | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
Greek Orthodox as well.

Why does the son of god, born of a virgin birth, sent to save mankind from its sins, require a foreskin free schlong?

Initially to prove he was "real" and it was the day he was named.

No, it was still a Catholic holy-day when I was a wee tyke.

Friggin' weird thing to plant a holy-day on innit? :cuckoo:

Fun God fact:
God told Abraham to circumcise Isaac on the 8th day for a reason that only God knew, and was much later discovered by science. A child's clotting factor is at it's peak on day 8. God understood Vit. K before we did.

My guess is a few died in trial and error fashion as the fad caught on..

Fun God fact:
God told Abraham to circumcise Isaac on the 8th day for a reason that only God knew, and was much later discovered by science. A child's clotting factor is at it's peak on day 8. God understood Vit. K before we did.

Since "God" is a human invention I suspect it had a lot more to do with trial and error over the years, including a number of infants who bled to death for a wacko superstition.

... and then gather a crowd for. Kinda like a hanging for a foreskin.

I always thought they ate calamari on that day..

I always thought they ate calamari on that day..

Depends, if it was a group cut, a large stew was prepared and prayed over.

Fun God fact:

Actually, if we go back to the Jewish laws concerning diet and cleanliness, you would know that there were very sound, scientific reasons for those rules.

Not eating pork? Simple.............because pigs have a parasite called trichinosis, and if the meat isn't treated properly with cooking and other measures, the parasite can pass to the person who eats it. Same thing with how long you could leave food out before having to throw it away, because there was no refrigeration back then.

Story of Creation in Genesis? Well, it says that at first, the world was without form and void, and God gathered up the dust and said "let there be Light", and there was. Gathering dust and then a large burst of light? Ever heard of how the solar system was formed? Dust gathered together via gravity, and when the forces acting on the material had enough pressure, it exploded and formed our Sun.

Or, you could simply go to the beginning of the Universe and use the same thing to explain the Big Bang.

Your calendar is wrong. Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25th. He probably was born closer to mid to late October.

*My* calendar is just fine.

He's right though. If Jesus was circumcised a week after birth there's no way that's January 1. Which further confirms that the whole set, Christmas and the Circumcision --- were moved to an already-existing calendar niche in order to co-opt and cover up what was already there -- the Solstice observance where the sun "dies" on the southern cross, lingers for three days and then starts to rise again....

Not eating pork? Simple.............because pigs have a parasite called trichinosis, and if the meat isn't treated properly with cooking and other measures, the parasite can pass to the person who eats it. Same thing with how long you could leave food out before having to throw it away, because there was no refrigeration back then.

Now you got me wondering if I really should give away this slice of pork pie..... :uhh:

Forum List

Back