Another Threat To Our Gasoline Shortage That's Looming--Nobody To Deliver It

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
Millions of people stuck at home for more than a year are expected to hit the road for much-needed post-pandemic vacations this summer. Good luck finding gas.
Not that there's a looming shortage of crude oil or gasoline. Rather, it's the tanker truck drivers needed to deliver the gas to stations who are in short supply.
According to the National Tank Truck Carriers, the industry's trade group, somewhere between 20% to 25% of tank trucks in the fleet are parked heading into this summer due to a paucity of qualified drivers. At this point in 2019, only 10% of trucks were sitting idle for that reason.

"We've been dealing with a driver shortage for a while, but the pandemic took that issue and metastasized it," said Ryan Streblow, the executive vice president of the NTTC. "It certainly has grown exponentially."

Indeed, drivers left the business a year ago when gasoline demand ground to a near halt during the early pandemic-related shutdowns.

"We were even hauling boxes for Amazon just to keep our drivers busy," said Holly McCormick, vice president in charge of driver recruitment and retention at Groendyke Transport, an Oklahoma tanker company. "A lot of drivers didn't want to do the safety protocols. We're also working with an aging work force. Many said 'I might as well take it as a cue to retire.'"

Not just any truck driver is allowed to drive a tanker truck. It requires special certification, including a commercial driver's license, and weeks of training after being hired. And while the jobs are more attractive than some long-haul trucking jobs that can keep drivers away from home for days or weeks at a time, it is strenuous, difficult work.

McCormick, who runs the workforce committee for NTTC, said another problem was the shutdown of many driver schools early in the pandemic. The pipeline of new drivers those schools would have produced has yet to be filled, she said. And then there's a new federal clearinghouse that went online in January 2020 to identify truck drivers with prior drug or alcohol violations or failed drug tests, which knocked about 40,000 to 60,000 total drivers out of the national employment pool.

As many of you already know, I used to be a truck driver. Because the bureaucrats made it so difficult for me to remain at work with new requirements nearly every year for people with medical issues, I am out of a job and career because the government put me out to pasture.

They never allowed me to drive Haz-Mat so I never delivered gasoline. But if they harassed me out of work, I'm sure it's worse on Haz-Mat drivers. Now even the qualified drivers don't want to deliver gasoline any longer, and this on top of the long going shortage of professional drivers we've had for many years.

So what can we do about it? Nothing. You can't vote out bureaucrats. We are all going to have to shell out more money for our gasoline. So get ready. We are going back to the Bush/ Obama years very soon.

Millions of people stuck at home for more than a year are expected to hit the road for much-needed post-pandemic vacations this summer. Good luck finding gas.
Not that there's a looming shortage of crude oil or gasoline. Rather, it's the tanker truck drivers needed to deliver the gas to stations who are in short supply.
According to the National Tank Truck Carriers, the industry's trade group, somewhere between 20% to 25% of tank trucks in the fleet are parked heading into this summer due to a paucity of qualified drivers. At this point in 2019, only 10% of trucks were sitting idle for that reason.

"We've been dealing with a driver shortage for a while, but the pandemic took that issue and metastasized it," said Ryan Streblow, the executive vice president of the NTTC. "It certainly has grown exponentially."

Indeed, drivers left the business a year ago when gasoline demand ground to a near halt during the early pandemic-related shutdowns.

"We were even hauling boxes for Amazon just to keep our drivers busy," said Holly McCormick, vice president in charge of driver recruitment and retention at Groendyke Transport, an Oklahoma tanker company. "A lot of drivers didn't want to do the safety protocols. We're also working with an aging work force. Many said 'I might as well take it as a cue to retire.'"

Not just any truck driver is allowed to drive a tanker truck. It requires special certification, including a commercial driver's license, and weeks of training after being hired. And while the jobs are more attractive than some long-haul trucking jobs that can keep drivers away from home for days or weeks at a time, it is strenuous, difficult work.

McCormick, who runs the workforce committee for NTTC, said another problem was the shutdown of many driver schools early in the pandemic. The pipeline of new drivers those schools would have produced has yet to be filled, she said. And then there's a new federal clearinghouse that went online in January 2020 to identify truck drivers with prior drug or alcohol violations or failed drug tests, which knocked about 40,000 to 60,000 total drivers out of the national employment pool.

As many of you already know, I used to be a truck driver. Because the bureaucrats made it so difficult for me to remain at work with new requirements nearly every year for people with medical issues, I am out of a job and career because the government put me out to pasture.

They never allowed me to drive Haz-Mat so I never delivered gasoline. But if they harassed me out of work, I'm sure it's worse on Haz-Mat drivers. Now even the qualified drivers don't want to deliver gasoline any longer, and this on top of the long going shortage of professional drivers we've had for many years.

So what can we do about it? Nothing. You can't vote out bureaucrats. We are all going to have to shell out more money for our gasoline. So get ready. We are going back to the Bush/ Obama years very soon.
I’d call them the Carter/Obama years.

I have my doubts about the cyber attack on the pipeline. I believe the shortages are caused by two factors, not enough truck drivers and a shortage of “oil” needed to refine diesel, gasoline, and plane fuel.

The bottom line is this pipeline service has nothing to pump in this pipeline.

lib gas.jpg

I have my doubts about the cyber attack on the pipeline. I believe the shortages are caused by two factors, not enough truck drivers and a shortage of “oil” needed to refine diesel, gasoline, and plane fuel.

I think the MSM would be on that like fly's on crap. I don't question the cyber attack, I question who is responsible.

In any case, this driver shortage is only icing on the cake. Biden closing down the Keystone, stopping public land drilling, this cyber attack, and now not enough transportation to bring this gasoline to our corner gas station this summer. It all spells much higher prices for everybody.

Post your proof.

I think the MSM would be on that like fly's on crap. I don't question the cyber attack, I question who is responsible.

In any case, this driver shortage is only icing on the cake. Biden closing down the Keystone, stopping public land drilling, this cyber attack, and now not enough transportation to bring this gasoline to our corner gas station this summer. It all spells much higher prices for everybody.
The nazis are finally killing the west and no one can stop it.

My God. you still don't know anything about Keystone.. Its been an issue since 2011.

Right like you are directly involved in it. lmao.

Oh no, nobody wants to drive a big truck. That's the way it is. We will have to simply deal with it. We cannot force anybody to do that job.

Oh no, nobody wants to drive a big truck. That's the way it is. We will have to simply deal with it. We cannot force anybody to do that job.

Nobody is talking about force. What I'm talking about is getting government off our ass and quit making the job so difficult to do with their idiotic red tape. They threw this American out of a job and career after driving tractor-trailers for over 25 years, accident free, no points on my license, due to more and more regulation. In the meantime, they are letting foreigners come here, no training, no experience at driving a truck, no tests we have to take, some can't read or speak English, and putting them on our roads no questions asked because they had a CDL type of license from their country that any schlub could get for an equivalent of an American ten dollar bill.

All I can say is, I'm glad I have an interview for a job where I would work from home. Seems like an excellent time to cut out that commute.

Company is Texas is offering 14,000/wk for drivers right now.

All I can say is, I'm glad I have an interview for a job where I would work from home. Seems like an excellent time to cut out that commute.
Energy prices affect all consumer goods. Working from home or not, your budget is getting crunched by evil, anti-American democrat policy.

Forum List

Back