The Basic Folly of Protestantism

Do you believe the same about teachers? They are not needed? What about managers? Needed or unneeded?

In fact, no one, in any profession, is needed for certain things. There is a need for them for certain other tasks. The vital thing is to identify where the need is, and where overreach may be occurring.
Not all teachers are needed. But the role is different.
Christianity is very simple. It is in the churches interests to make a mystique or mystery around it.
One that only they understand. Thats where the big bucks are.

Even the Supreme Court supported slavery.
At the time, slavery was endemic in most parts of the world, especially in Africa. Only 15% of African slaves in the Western Hemisphere were sent to the (formerly British) United States. Although this practice was detestable, the conditions under which African slavery existed in the U.S. were better than almost anywhere else. Even so, the bloodiest war in U.S. history was fought over this moral issue.

More than 150 years after it was abolished, slavery has once again regained prominence in public debate. This time it is used as a euphemism for racism, but with even more outrage than its original definition. Isn't it time to let go of that antiquated albatross and focus on current issues?

At the time, slavery was endemic in most parts of the world, especially in Africa. Only 15% of African slaves in the Western Hemisphere were sent to the (formerly British) United States. Although this practice was detestable, the conditions under which African slavery existed in the U.S. were better than almost anywhere else. Even so, the bloodiest war in U.S. history was fought over this moral issue.

More than 150 years after it was abolished, slavery has once again regained prominence in public debate. This time it is used as a euphemism for racism, but with even more outrage than its original definition. Isn't it time to let go of that antiquated albatross and focus on current issues?
Totally agree. The democrat party should put it down.

You make a huge mistake by lumping sin as somehow a church tenet. Slavery, child abuse and wife beating were never tenets of the Church. Just because some Christiansd did it doesn't mean it was a church tenet.

No, it was not a requirement of being a Christian

But the Bible justified much of it

Beat your wife and kids?
The Bible says you can

Beat your wife and kids?
The Bible says you can
In regards to children, are you thinking of the "Spare the rod..." verse? If so, that is a more modern perception of "rod". In Biblical times, the rod was used in shepherding--that is guiding the herd so that it does not come to harm. Sheep are especially likely to wander into harm's way and need to be watched over carefully and taught right paths. In the same way, so do children.

The Bible verse teaches that if we do not make the time and effort to be with and to guide our children, we will end up with spoiled children. The Bible also tells us not to be harsh with our children less they become discouraged.

Which verse are you thinking of that encourages husbands to beat their wives? What is the context, because there are several Bible verses that direct husbands to love and protect their wives. Even if she is a harlot.

Here we have a major Christian denomination that believes that an essential matter of morals can be decided by popular vote. It is as absurd as Leftists claiming that science can be decided by popular vote.

One of the primary roles of a "Church" is to provide moral and theological guidance to its followers - hence the word, "followers." That guidance must be based on the fundamental texts. If you are a Christian, you believe (you MUST believe) that significant moral questions have right and wrong answers, and that those answers spring from the Bible. There is no question that the Bible condemns homosexual sodomy, but this Church (The Global Methodist Church) asserts and teaches that such behavior is morally neutral, and, in effect, morally equivalent to reproductive sexual intercourse.

Say what you will about the Catholic Church, it believes that the Holy Spirit guides the Church (as Christ promised She would), it seeks to discern the "right" answers to questions about faith and morality, and teaches them consistently - even when they are not popular. Protestantism appears to teach that we can all read the Bible and individually discern its meaning.

That makes no sense.
good points. I have lived long enough to see w/ my own eyes how abysmally fallen and nasty human nature is left unaided by Divine Light aka the Catholic Church

I have my own history as the best example... For years I was stuck in sinfulness... tried... then tried HARDER to... get right with God... stop doing certain things that were not good for me or anyone else...

ONLY

and I mean ONLY the Cahtolic Church worked for me

you can say Well, that was you all you want (non Cahtolics)

but no... Truth is universal and objective...

what is true morally for one is true for all. If the RCC can lift me out of the ditch...

Mainline protestantism is in freefall. The reason seems to be that many Christians have real problems with how the UMC, UCC , the Radical Episcopalianists, etc., have embraced sodomy as somehow biblical, even though the Scriptures don't condone gay marriage or butt sex in any way.

In regards to children, are you thinking of the "Spare the rod..." verse? If so, that is a more modern perception of "rod". In Biblical times, the rod was used in shepherding--that is guiding the herd so that it does not come to harm. Sheep are especially likely to wander into harm's way and need to be watched over carefully and taught right paths. In the same way, so do children.

The Bible verse teaches that if we do not make the time and effort to be with and to guide our children, we will end up with spoiled children. The Bible also tells us not to be harsh with our children less they become discouraged.

Which verse are you thinking of that encourages husbands to beat their wives? What is the context, because there are several Bible verses that direct husbands to love and protect their wives. Even if she is a harlot.
No, by “Rod” it is much more than metaphoracle
It meant beat your child

Any parent that whipped their child was excused
The Bible justified it

Says who?
I know what a rod is

It has been use for generations to discipline children
Go find a switch I can beat you with

All done in the name of being a good Christian and a Good Parent….The Bible says so

Last edited:
I know what a rod is

It has been use for generations to discipline children
Go find a switch I can beat you with

All done in the name of being a good Christian
The etymology for 'rod' in English is exactly as you say. It comes from the Old English (and Old Norse) meaning a shoot growing from a tree and used for punishment.

However, the Hebrew word means a staff used to guide and protect. It also indicates authority.

Translation from any language to another runs into these difficulties. In Bible study it is almost imperative that we also study the original languages, history, and cultures.

The etymology for 'rod' in English is exactly as you say. It comes from the Old English (and Old Norse) meaning a shoot growing from a tree and used for punishment.

However, the Hebrew word means a staff used to guide and protect. It also indicates authority.

Translation from any language to another runs into these difficulties. In Bible study it is almost imperative that we also study the original languages, history, and cultures.
Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child has always had a distinct meaning

Beat your child to keep him straight

No preacher has ever corrected parents with your interpretation of a rod just being “guidance” to your children

No preacher has ever corrected parents with your interpretation of a rod just being “guidance” to your children
It doesn't say "beat the kid". Merriweather is correct.

Shrug. I don't know what Protestant preachers said. Protestants always had this idea that everyone can read and figure out scripture for himself. Catholics were more into study or learning from priests who studied, while Jews were definitely into not only a single study, but studying continually, over and over again throughout life.

Forum List

Back