Should somebody need an ID to vote?

Showing an ID when you vote at the polls is only for protection against ID theft, the last election two Trump voters trying to commit voter ID theft we caught.. Where is all this fake voters voting illegally information to make you people have hysterics over an ID to vote with?

Last edited:
Well, let's make the Social Security card the national ID card.

All we have to add is a picture and some lamination.

And it's free so poor people won't be excluded.

The Social Security card will then count as a valid ID for voting purposes.

Do you know how much paperwork is required to get those documents "free"?

You have to provide income and asset documentation, like tax returns, W-2's, bank records, etc. just to get a fee waiver.

Hmmmmmm....so you are saying that people have all of those other documents.........

Homeless people can get ID.....with a form..........

So SS cards are easier to get than voter ID's?

So SS cards are easier to get than voter ID's?

Important
You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. All documents must be current (not expired). We cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document.

What original documents do I need?​

Citizenship

We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport.

You must present your birth certificate. If one exists, you must submit it. If a birth certificate does not exist, we may be able to accept your:

• Religious record made before the age of five showing your date of birth;
  • U.S. hospital record of your birth.
  • U.S. passport.
Anyone age 12 or older requesting an original Social Security number (SSN) must appear in person for an interview. We will ask for evidence to show you do not have an SSN. Here are examples of documents you can use to prove an SSN was never assigned:

• If you lived outside the United States for an extended period, a current or previous passport, school and/or employment records, and any other record that would show long-term residence outside the United States could be used to show you do not have an SSN.
  • If you have lived in the United States and you are applying for an original SSN, we may ask you for information about the schools you attended or we may ask you to provide copies of tax records that would show you were never assigned an SSN.

Identity

We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity we must see your:

• U.S. driver's license.
  • State-issued non-driver identification card.
  • U.S. passport.
If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents. Any documents submitted, including the following, must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph:

• Employee identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card).
  • U.S. military identification card.
Note
We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity. However, you must provide at least two separate documents.

And just like today, the Social Security card is good for life.

Two problems. Look on your SS card. It says "not for identification purposes" At least they used to, I got mine as a child.

Second, anybody, including foreigners not only can, but may be forced to get a social security card. Which is why it can't be used for other purposes.

Hmmmmmm....so you are saying that people have all of those other documents.........

Homeless people can get ID.....with a form..........
California law provides for DMV to issue ID's to the homeless for free.

So does Texas

Certification of Homeless Status for Texas Birth Certificate
And Texas Identification Card and Driver’s License

defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 11434a. The McKinneyVento Act

I’d be fine with requiring ID for in-person voting if we just gave everyone an ID.

Seems like a pretty easy compromise. But what I’m noticing is that they don’t actually want to fix this issue. They just want people to be angry about something and energized enough to vote on their talking points.

I’d be fine with requiring ID for in-person voting if we just gave everyone an ID.

Seems like a pretty easy compromise. But what I’m noticing is that they don’t actually want to fix this issue. They just want people to be angry about something and energized enough to vote on their talking points.
The irony is that angry voters is why it's hard to prove voter disenfranchisement.

After Georgia passed a voter ID law, the number of Georgia voters went up. But that was because people like Stacy Abrams registered so many new voters, it far outnumbered the number of voters disenfranchised by the ID law.

It probably is what lead to Georgia sending a democrat to the white house, and two to the senate.

Democrats don't oppose voter ID laws. They oppose the draconian voter ID laws, meant only to restrict access.
Ok, what is so draconian about presenting an ID as a form of verification that you are who you say you are? Please, show an example of a “draconian” voter ID law vs. a voter ID law.

Ok, what is so draconian about presenting an ID as a form of verification that you are who you say you are? Please, show an example of a “draconian” voter ID law vs. a voter ID law.
Such as Texas not allowing the use of an expired drivers license. All the information on the card is valid, the only thing that expires on a Texas drivers license is the right to drive. Not who you are. Or your citizenship status, or date of birth.

So why does the day after it expires mean you can't use it to vote?

Driving is considered a privilege. Voting is a right.

People often pay for privileges, they shouldn't need to pay for a right.
Voting is a right reserved for US Citizens meeting criteria as spelled out in the law. VoterID is a means to validate that the person voting is meeting that criteria.

Well, some people might not like this opinion, but I really don't mind if some people don't vote because they aren't able to provide basic identification.

What kind of grown U.S citizen can't provide some form of basic identification? Should I really care whether or not a person like that expresses their opinion through voting? Is that a productive person whose opinion should be seen as valuable? I don't think so. I actually wouldn't mind if extremely ignorant and unproductive people voted less.

Yes you should be required to provide ID to vote. It's a step to help ensure a fair election for EVERYBODY. I'm for using tax dollars to provide any US citizen with an ID that wants to vote but for some reason can't afford an ID.

Such as Texas not allowing the use of an expired drivers license. All the information on the card is valid, the only thing that expires on a Texas drivers license is the right to drive. Not who you are. Or your citizenship status, or date of birth.

So why does the day after it expires mean you can't use it to vote?
Ok. Good example. I would support modifying that law to provide a grace period (eg 90 days) after expiration. A current or recent ID means that the person has taken steps with the state to validate that they still are alive and living within the district.

Driving is considered a privilege. Voting is a right.

People often pay for privileges, they shouldn't need to pay for a right.

Voting is a right reserved for US Citizens meeting criteria as spelled out in the law. VoterID is a means to validate that the person voting is meeting that criteria.

You're half right. The constitution mandates that you must be a citizen to be elected to federal office, and federal law requires citizenship to vote in a federal election. But citizenship is not a requirement for non-federal elections.

Forum List

Back