Safeway in San Francisco's Fillmore to close after 40 years

So really, what's happening is the opposite of the claimed scenario of decay/chaos/crime, and just the normal vertical evolution of RE in perpetually hot markets like SF.

So really, it's happening for exactly the reasons I've said. They are simply taking advantage of an unfortunate situation and the residents aren't too pleased about it. You'd know that had you actually read up.

Not at all. This is a positive trend.
I'm not saying it's not.

I'm saying people are becoming less gregarious and more solitary because most people are either narcissistic navel gazers or semi-functional alcoholics ... or both.

Jmho, ymmv.

T.J.'s is slightly more expensive and offers less selection.
Trader Joe's has nowhere near the selection of Safeway.

I find Trader Joe's to be a higher quality meat market. Quality over quantity type of deal, I suppose. And, yes, it certainly can be more expensive. I guess it just comes with the territory.

Last edited:
I find Trader Joe's to be a higher quality meat market. Quality over quantity type of deal, I suppose. And, yes, it certainly can be more expensive. I guess it just comes with the territory.
Then... I'm not sure how adding a Trader Joe's to the disaffected community is going to bring any relief. Except maybe for the shoplifters. They got better shit to steal now...

Trader Joe's has nowhere near the selection of Safeway.
It's a MUCH better store in every way, and serves not only core nutritional needs, but has all manner of other goodies as well.

Its prices are much lower too.

Looks like a win/win to me; better use of the land and a better/cheaper grocer.

And of course the fact that a TJ is moving in puts the lie to the whole decay/chaos/crime narrative.

So really, it's happening for exactly the reasons I've said.
No - the opposite.

The land is MUCH too valuable for its current use, and demand too high for housing/additional retail space.
They are simply taking advantage of an unfortunate situation and the residents aren't too pleased about it.
No unfortunate situation - the exact opposite.

MORE housing/retail space is being created due to the high value of the land and high demand to live in SF.
You'd know that had you actually read up.
I did, but I'm not married to false narratives of urban decay/crime/chaos, so see this situation in its factual light.

And of course the fact that a TJ is moving in puts the lie to the whole decay/chaos/crime narrative.

The problems at Safeway caused by crime and neighborhood decay have been well documented. I'm not going to argue with you about it. If you want to wallow in ignorance be my guest.

Staples and much else are actually cheaper there, and quality is high.

I think their booze is more expensive however.

The problems at Safeway caused by crime and neighborhood decay have been well documented. I'm not going to argue with you about it. If you want to wallow in ignorance be my guest.
Is there crime at inner city stores?

No doubt, but it's not discouraging the superbly run TJ brand from jumping in.

See my prior posts for the rest. :)

Pretty soon it will ALL BE online orders w/pickup.

H-E-B in Texas has 20 or so shoppers at all hours, preparing the orders for people not wishing to shop inside the store.

This TREND will continue and grow.
We all make excuses. Whether that is relatable is fuzzy. We are turning into a dystopian civilization.

Forum List

Back