Safeway in San Francisco's Fillmore to close after 40 years

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
San Francisco is losing yet another well known store, this time a Safeway that has been in the neighborhood for 40 years. The local NAACP president complains about a "food desert" being created, and, in typical fashion, implies it's due to the blackness of the neighborhood instead of the fact that the store, like most of the city these days, has been plagued with rampant shoplifting and crime. That's what drives businesses away. That's what causes food deserts. The people of the community have no respect for the community and so the community implodes.

"I think it's more the theft that is going on in the stores," a customer said to NBC Bay Area on Friday. "It's rampant over here."

Some also took note of the security measures in place at the grocery store.

Meantime, customers are wondering where they will shop moving forward and what impact the closure will have.

While those reasons for store closures may be valid........it is also possible that the Albertson-Safeway and Kroger merger could be an additional factor as they are selling stores in several states

Pretty soon it will ALL BE online orders w/pickup.

H-E-B in Texas has 20 or so shoppers at all hours, preparing the orders for people not wishing to shop inside the store.

This TREND will continue and grow.

San Francisco is losing yet another well known store, this time a Safeway that has been in the neighborhood for 40 years. The local NAACP president complains about a "food desert" being created, and, in typical fashion, implies it's due to the blackness of the neighborhood instead of the fact that the store, like most of the city these days, has been plagued with rampant shoplifting and crime. That's what drives businesses away. That's what causes food deserts. The people of the community have no respect for the community and so the community implodes.

"I think it's more the theft that is going on in the stores," a customer said to NBC Bay Area on Friday. "It's rampant over here."

Meantime, customers are wondering where they will shop moving forward and what impact the closure will have.

Safeway closed down and moved out of Rogers, Arkansass in the later 1980s.

The NAACP never complains about looting or flash mobs at stores in Black neighborhoods. Why is that?

I can't wait for the split when the Lefties have these policies all to themselves. You'd think they'd learn looking at their cities, but no. They have to feel the grinding foot right on their forehead to get it.

I wonder if many of the black shoplifters feel they are entitled to the right to shoplift as part of the reparations they are owned because their ancestors were slaves.

I join other members (and guests) in expressing the deepest sympathy to those people of that community who are well-behaved.

They are now losing another vital business for them.

And my sympathy, too, to all the employees who are now unemployed.

So sad.

Proud of what your cult has done?

Actually, the land is so valuable and the location so desirable that it's being repurposed into a mixed retail/housing plan.

A single story structure occupying the lot is simply not the highest/best use any longer.

Also, a Trader Joe's is opening nearby shortly.

So really, what's happening is the opposite of the claimed scenario of decay/chaos/crime, and just the normal vertical evolution of RE in perpetually hot markets like SF.

Why do you think anyone would believe otherwise?

Where's the spin? There's more single people now. There's less people going in stores as more are ordering. There's no spin there and there's not one thing bad about either fact.
Numerous times I've been in WalMart, and been outnumbered by paid shoppers filling orders, as opposed to actual customers coming in and selecting their own goods. This isn't as innocent as you seem to believe. While the Covid scamdemic provided the perfect opportunity for a soft intro to this method of shopping; retail theft is a prime driver for its promotion. This is about getting people accustomed to shopping like it was done back in the day. Before the Piggly Wiggly introduced the modern grocery store, customers went into the store, handed the grocer a list, and he would retrieve the items for you. This new online method isn't new at all. It's regressive. And a prime driver for it is retail theft.

Last edited:
Numerous times I've been in WalMart, and been outnumbered by paid shoppers filling orders, as opposed to actual customers coming in and selecting their own goods. This isn't as innocent as you seem to believe. While the Covid scamdemic provided the perfect opportunity for a soft intro to this method of shopping; retail theft is a prime driver for its promotion. This is about getting people accustomed to shopping like it was done back in the day. Before the Piggly Wiggly introduced the modern grocery store, customers went into the store, handed the grocer a list, and he would retrieve the items for you. This new online method isn't new at all. It's regressive. And a prime driver for it is retail theft.

My shopping is mostly for produce and protein, and no nitwit is going to make those choices for me.

We don't need to go back to pre covid shopping. An I creasing number of people don't want to go back into stores.

Forum List

Back