Retired firefighter found guilty for shooting at lost black teen on doorstep

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I don't find it credible that anyone who points a shotgun at other and pulls the trigger did not mean to kill them. Even if their death is not a guranteed outcome, it has a high probability of occurrence.

There is a reason that one of the rules of firearm safety is "never point your weapon at anything that you're unwilling to kill or destroy".

A jury convicted a white Michigan man of assault on Friday for firing a shotgun at a black teen who knocked on his door to ask for directions on his way to school.

Brennan Walker, 14, had missed his bus on the morning of April 12, so he stopped at the Rochester Hills home of Jeffrey Zeigler to ask for directions. But the boy was met by the shotgun-wielding homeowner and ran away, barely escaping injury as Zeigler fired at him.

Zeigler, 53, was found guilty of assault with attempt to do great bodily harm and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

181011-jeffrey-craig-zeigler-mug-ac-407p_d6ab3c47264b9ec87c37bdf34083d8a6.fit-760w.jpg

Jeffrey Craig ZeiglerOakland County Sheriff's Office
Though he was charged with suspicion of assault with attempt to murder, the jury "determined Mr. Zeigler did not intend to kill Brennan Walker," said defense attorney Rob Morad.

The lawyer said the gun charge alone comes with a mandatory two years behind bars, to be completed before the assault sentence even starts. The assault conviction could carry anywhere from a few months to a 10-year maximum, he said.

Asked if Zeigler would appeal, Morad said, "There are issues we need to look at, and we’ll decide when the time comes."

The teen's mother, Lisa Wright, said Friday after the verdict that the boy was in therapy indefinitely as a result of the attack. "This will affect my son forever," she said.​

There are details you leave out..l

1. His wife was downstairs screaming that someone was trying to break into the house.

I highly doubt he was "looking for directions."

2. He ran downstairs with the shotgun, RAISED IT UP, then lowered it when he saw the thief running away. The gun discharged accidentally. The thief was never in any danger.

He's paying a high price BECAUSE HE BE WHITE, and the thief is black.

Pontiac — The wife of a Rochester Hills man charged with trying to shoot and kill a lost teenager who knocked on their door tearfully recounted that traumatic morning during her husband's trial Thursday in Oakland County Circuit Court.

Dana Zeigler said she had just finished a shower and was preparing to get dressed for work April 12 when she heard her doorbell. Dana Zeigler said she looked out the window and saw no vehicles — outside of their own — parked outside and knew of no one who would be stopping by shortly after 8 a.m.

When she saw a strange teenager wearing a skull cap and backpack at her door, she screamed at him, “What are you doing on my porch?”

She testified that he responded, “I am on my way to school” as he opened the storm door and she believes, attempted to open the inner wooden door

She screamed for her husband, Jeffrey Zeigler, who she said was in a “dead sleep” from medication he took the night before. Zeigler told investigators he takes pain killers, muscle relaxers and Valium for injuries he has suffered to his hips, back and arms.

Zeigler rushed down the stairs and seeing the teenager, ran to his first-floor office where he kept firearms, including a loaded 12-gauge Mossberg shotgun.

Dana Zeigler broke down in tears as a security video showing the incident was played again for the jury — this time in slow motion. She bent forward on the witness stand, gripping her face with both hands and dabbing at her eyes with a tissue. Zeigler, seated a few feet away, was visibly moved by his wife’s distress

He overreacted, but I saw the video and he clearly points the barrel UP. He's in his house and his wife is freaking out. Seems like a nice kid but he was in a strict technical sense, trespassing. I don't see how you charge the homeowner/shooter with anything.

The going to some strangers house "asking for directions to his school" excuse is bullshit. The thug was obviously casing homes in the neighborhood to target because he knew that a lot of people in that neighborhood were elderly.

I hope the thug gets shot dead the next time he attempts to rob elderly people.

There is no such thing as an accidental discharge with modern firearms. Unless one is being attacked or threatened self defense is not an issue. Zeigler was irresponsible and is paying for it.

I don't find it credible that anyone who points a shotgun at other and pulls the trigger did not mean to kill them. Even if their death is not a guranteed outcome, it has a high probability of occurrence.

There is a reason that one of the rules of firearm safety is "never point your weapon at anything that you're unwilling to kill or destroy".

A jury convicted a white Michigan man of assault on Friday for firing a shotgun at a black teen who knocked on his door to ask for directions on his way to school.

Brennan Walker, 14, had missed his bus on the morning of April 12, so he stopped at the Rochester Hills home of Jeffrey Zeigler to ask for directions. But the boy was met by the shotgun-wielding homeowner and ran away, barely escaping injury as Zeigler fired at him.

Zeigler, 53, was found guilty of assault with attempt to do great bodily harm and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

181011-jeffrey-craig-zeigler-mug-ac-407p_d6ab3c47264b9ec87c37bdf34083d8a6.fit-760w.jpg

Though he was charged with suspicion of assault with attempt to murder, the jury "determined Mr. Zeigler did not intend to kill Brennan Walker," said defense attorney Rob Morad.

The lawyer said the gun charge alone comes with a mandatory two years behind bars, to be completed before the assault sentence even starts. The assault conviction could carry anywhere from a few months to a 10-year maximum, he said.

Asked if Zeigler would appeal, Morad said, "There are issues we need to look at, and we’ll decide when the time comes."

The teen's mother, Lisa Wright, said Friday after the verdict that the boy was in therapy indefinitely as a result of the attack. "This will affect my son forever," she said.​
I agree with you. This kid seems innocent to me. That guy on the other hand lied about accidentally shooting the gun when he tripped. He never tripped.

1. His wife was downstairs screaming that someone was trying to break into the house.

2. He ran downstairs with the shotgun, RAISED IT UP, then lowered it when he saw the thief running away. The gun discharged accidentally. The thief was never in any danger.

He's paying the price because he ran outside and pointed a shotgun at an unarmed 14-year-old who was running away, then he fired. He may also be paying the price for lying about it, as the article says he claims the gun went off when he tripped, but the video indicates otherwise.

He also apparently was convicted of pointing a gun at someone in 2006. I don't know if that played any part in this conviction.

---------------------------------------------- i'm just laughing at the 'therapy forever' claim Mary Am .

He overreacted, but I saw the video and he clearly points the barrel UP. He's in his house and his wife is freaking out. Seems like a nice kid but he was in a strict technical sense, trespassing. I don't see how you charge the homeowner/shooter with anything.

I doubt going to the door counted as trespassing. I don't see any sort of fence around the house, and unless there are some sorts of signs indicating no one is allowed on the property, I doubt someone coming to your door constitutes trespassing.

More importantly, even if it did count as trespassing, it's almost certainly still illegal to fire a shotgun at someone who is running away from you and clearly presents no threat.

Should of used the "Joe Biden" defense. How can the liberal fault that?

I actually totally agree with this, but he WASNT dressed as a clean cut "white boy" like he is in the interview.

Home invasions and robberies occur using an innocent looking "kid" or a woman to cause you to drop your guard. This is Pontiac, MI. It has a very high black population (50% black, 25% white, 16% Hispanic), meaning the usual crap happens there that happens anywhere with a high black population. Whites living in these areas know what goes on in these neighborhoods.

Last edited:
I actually totally agree with this, but he WASNT dressed as a clean cut "white boy" like he is in the interview.

Home invasions and robberies occur using an innocent looking "kid" or a woman to cause you to drop your guard. This is Pontiac, MI. It has a very high black population (50% black, 25% white, 16% Hispanic), meaning the usual crap happens there that happens anywhere with a high black population. Whites living in these areas know what goes on in these neighborhoods.

Except it's not Pontiac. This took place in Rochester Hills, a town that is only 5% black. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/rochesterhillscitymichigan/PST045217

Your obvious attempt to try to make this about blacks, and somehow the fault of the kid, has failed miserably. :eusa_whistle:

Except it's not Pontiac. This took place in Rochester Hills, a town that is only 5% black. U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Rochester Hills city, Michigan

Your obvious attempt to try to make this about blacks, and somehow the fault of the kid, has failed miserably. :eusa_whistle:
You're right about where it occurred.

But it is still about blacks. Every article makes it about blacks.

Zeigler's wife called the police, reporting that "a black male was trying to break into her house and her husband chased after him into the yard

A jury convicted a white Michigan man of assault on Friday for firing a shotgun at a black teen

This was a very bad, racist decision. He'll get a mandatory 2 years THEN up to 10 years in prison for self-defense.

Last edited:

Except it's not Pontiac. This took place in Rochester Hills, a town that is only 5% black. U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Rochester Hills city, Michigan

You're right about where it occurred.

But it is still about blacks. Every article makes it about blacks.

Zeigler's wife called the police, reporting that "a black male was trying to break into her house and her husband chased after him into the yard

A jury convicted a white Michigan man of assault on Friday for firing a shotgun at a black teen

This was a very bad, racist decision. He'll get a mandatory 2 years THEN up to 10 years in prison for self-defense.

Shooting an unarmed 14-year-old who is running away and nowhere near you is hardly self-defense. :lol:

When I said you are trying to make this about blacks, and the fault of the kid, what I meant is that you are taking an incident which appears to show a man shooting at a fleeing teenager and trying to make it the fault of that teenager simply because of his race, not because of anything he actually did. If the man were black, or Asian, or Latino, he should also have gotten the same punishment.

When you shoot at a fleeing, unarmed, underaged boy who is not threatening you in any way, and you do it on video, you're likely to be convicted of something, regardless of the races of the people involved.

If you think you know a relevant Michigan law that would make shooting at someone running away from you, who looked to be at least 30 feet away, when they are unarmed and have not threatened you, a legal act, please feel free to point it out. Until then, I'll continue to believe your opinion is based entirely on your dislike of black people.

So, you racist motherfuckers will tell whatever lie you want to justify shooting at innocent black people.

The gun didn’t accidentally discharge. Police confirmed that security camera footage showed the racist son of a bitch clearly aimed the shotgun at a boy who was running away.

Racist motherfuckers being racist motherfuckers.

Blacks are always guilty of something -- this verdict is an outrage

Hopefully this guy get a reduced sentence or maybe probation -- Trump should put pressure on them to get this done.

Blacks are always guilty of something -- this verdict is an outrage

Hopefully this guy get a reduced sentence or maybe probation -- Trump should put pressure on them to get this done.
------------------------------------------ MORE Bait eh Biff ??

Forum List

Back