Reparations..A Local Solution?

***yawn***
I have no idea as to how you inferred that I felt guilty or was advocating feeling guilty for anything in the historical past. I did not mention slavery..in fact, the link does not mention slavery..the reparation is more about unfair housing and job practices.

Do you know what reparations are? Do you know what reparations are when used in the context of American politics?

Or does someone need to spell that out for you?

It doesn't matter what you did or did not say. The implication was already there.

Except....you don't live in Evanston, do you? It is not your money--thus...it is none of your business, right?

Except...

It doesn't matter where it happens, when the precedent is set, when the first domino falls, when you knock down the first card in the house... the rest will fall in line.

You're so naive it hurts.
Good ole Domino theory..and here I though that sort of thing had been completely debunked after Vietnam and McNamara--and if so..so what?
I see no problem at with local communities choosing how to address this--it might even become a 'thing' this helping bit.
Oh wait..THAT'S what you're afraid of--now isn't it?

This is a bit interesting--and promising...as people come to their own conclusions and effect their unique local solutions!

Decades ago, in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Cordelia Clark ran a restaurant out of her kitchen and parked cabs for her taxi company in her backyard because Black residents were effectively barred from owning or renting storefronts in town.
Now Evanston is poised to become the first U.S. city to offer reparation money to Black residents whose families suffered lasting damage from decades of discriminatory practices.
"It's about time that something has come from the hard work of African Americans in this city, proving that they should be treated as anyone else," said Clark's great-granddaughter, Delois Robinson, 58.
Evanston's initial approach to reparations is narrow and targeted. The city council, which has already committed $10 million over a decade to the effort, will vote on Monday to begin with a $400,000 round of payments. The first phase will provide $25,000 to a small number of eligible Black residents for home repairs, down payments or mortgage payments in a nod toward historically racist housing policies.
The program could become a model for other cities and states grappling with whether to pursue their own reparations programs. The burgeoning national movement has gained traction amid a reckoning on racial inequity following the police killing of George Floyd and other Black Americans last year.

In Congress, a bill that would establish a national reparations commission to study the issue has drawn around 170 co-sponsors in the House of Representatives, all Democrats. President Joe Biden has not endorsed the legislation but says he supports a study. Advocates plan to lobby the White House for executive action if the bill, as expected, fails to pass a divided Senate.
Umno.
Whether you like it or not--- it is happening in Evanston....which is, I think, one of the points, eh? If the majority in a polity wish to spend their money in a certain way..that's really none of our business.

Liberal idiots committing idiocy.

Except....you don't live in Evanston, do you? It is not your money--thus...it is none of your business, right?

Except...

It doesn't matter where it happens, when the precedent is set, when the first domino falls, when you knock down the first card in the house... the rest will fall in line.

Good ole Domino theory..and here I though that sort of thing had been completely debunked after Vietnam and McNamara--and if so..so what?
I see no problem at with local communities choosing how to address this--it might even become a 'thing' this helping bit.

When it has the potential to impact my bottom line, I have every right to be afraid.

Or is that what you want? Fear instead of willful cooperation?

***yawn***
I have no idea as to how you inferred that I felt guilty or was advocating feeling guilty for anything in the historical past. I did not mention slavery..in fact, the link does not mention slavery..the reparation is more about unfair housing and job practices.

Do you know what reparations are? Do you know what reparations are when used in the context of American politics?

It doesn't matter what you did or did not say. The implication was already there.
In your head..the implication was already there..in YOUR head.
If you want my take...slavery is a wash..it was the times..but the hundred-plus years of Jim Crow---the persistent and pernicious abuses that occurred..do require some redress..and i like the local approach. It's neighborly.

The gist of my OP is simply local empowerment can resolve issues.

Specifically, what issues will it resolve? I don't mean address or acknowledge, I mean actually resolve.

$25,000 is a tidy sum, but it's not enough to change anyone's life in a significant way.

why should white people now feel guilty for what their ancestors did?

most white folks ancestors lived in other countries when we had slavery then came here 50 or mores years later and faced their own discrimination

Clue, people, clue!

Except...

When it has the potential to impact my bottom line, I have every right to be afraid.

Or is that what you want? Fear instead of willful cooperation?
I don't give a shit--as far as wants go-- on this issue. I like local govt.--doing the will of the residents--and not towing ANY ideological baggage.

Curious..just what part of what Evanston is doing has the potential to effect your bottom line...and why?

NO REPARATIONS FOR ANYONE ANY WHERE
Quite the simple concept, No taxpayer money should be spent on any form of reparations

***yawn***

If you want my take...slavery is a wash..it was the times..but the hundred-plus years of Jim Crow---the persistent and pernicious abuses that occurred..do require some redress..and i like the local approach. It's neighborly.

Stop making me burst out in riotous laughter.

What do you think a leftist wants when he or she demands reparations? For what? Hillary losing in 2016? For the Patriots not making the playoffs last year?

No, you idiot. They want reparations for slavery. When the words "slavery" or "reparations" are used within the context of American societal politics, they are most certainly directed at the white race. There is no one else to foist the guilt on but them. You surely are stupid if you think it means or implies anything else, especially when we're discussing this on a political forum.

What that town is doing is mandating generosity instead of encouraging it. They are making people feel guilty for something they took no part in, nor were even alive to.

Last edited:
The gist of my OP is simply local empowerment can resolve issues.

Specifically, what issues will it resolve? I don't mean address or acknowledge, I mean actually resolve.

$25,000 is a tidy sum, but it's not enough to change anyone's life in a significant way.
Nor should it..really...it's a symbol. But powerful in its own right..as you can see by the responses here.

Since they're not actually giving out cash...i imagine a bit more comfort..a new home..a chance.

Quite the simple concept, No taxpayer money should be spent on any form of reparations
Here's something quite simple as well...you run things how you like in your town..and let others run them the way they want to..in theirs!
Do you remember when the Republicans were all about local govt.? Gone are the days!

This is a bit interesting--and promising...as people come to their own conclusions and effect their unique local solutions!

Decades ago, in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Cordelia Clark ran a restaurant out of her kitchen and parked cabs for her taxi company in her backyard because Black residents were effectively barred from owning or renting storefronts in town.
Now Evanston is poised to become the first U.S. city to offer reparation money to Black residents whose families suffered lasting damage from decades of discriminatory practices.
"It's about time that something has come from the hard work of African Americans in this city, proving that they should be treated as anyone else," said Clark's great-granddaughter, Delois Robinson, 58.
Evanston's initial approach to reparations is narrow and targeted. The city council, which has already committed $10 million over a decade to the effort, will vote on Monday to begin with a $400,000 round of payments. The first phase will provide $25,000 to a small number of eligible Black residents for home repairs, down payments or mortgage payments in a nod toward historically racist housing policies.
The program could become a model for other cities and states grappling with whether to pursue their own reparations programs. The burgeoning national movement has gained traction amid a reckoning on racial inequity following the police killing of George Floyd and other Black Americans last year.

In Congress, a bill that would establish a national reparations commission to study the issue has drawn around 170 co-sponsors in the House of Representatives, all Democrats. President Joe Biden has not endorsed the legislation but says he supports a study. Advocates plan to lobby the White House for executive action if the bill, as expected, fails to pass a divided Senate.
Umno.
Whether you like it or not--- it is happening in Evanston....which is, I think, one of the points, eh? If the majority in a polity wish to spend their money in a certain way..that's really none of our business.
. . . if folks, that is, a large percentage of them, like 40% or more, don't believe that the government is legitimate, yet are just going along. . .

. . . and then it decides to confiscate their wealth for such a program, do you really think they will continue to pay taxes?

:dunno:

They suffered from DECADES of Democrats Mayoral control of the city (since 1931), racist turd Daley over and over get the 90% black vote then ignores them until the next election comes around.

This is largely a liberal decades long caused problem, but watch the democrat lies come out......
I believe what you are saying is correct..but my point is that instead of sitting around whining and waiting for the next politician to pander to them, they are coming up with and implementing their own solutions.
They are uplifting their community..and that benefits us all.

There is nothing uplifting about taking money from one group and giving to another based on race.

This will just further divide an already torn apart nation. The whites will feel, correctly put upon. And the blacks will feel, again correctly, that they are entitled based on their skin color.
Yet...the people in Evanston are OK with it. Not seeing a lot of entitlement stuff going on..instead..seeing some people owning homes..getting capital repairs..maybe getting some medical bills paid--seems a pretty good thing for a community to do for itself.

Are they though? Or are teh whites just cowed or leaving? And how would you expect an increased sense of entitlement to manifest?

From the link:

In Evanston, Black residents are eligible for the housing program if they, or their ancestors, lived in the city between 1919 and 1969 or if they can show they suffered housing discrimination due to the city's policies. The recipients will be randomly selected if there are more applicants than available funds in the housing program.
Evanston, home to Northwestern University, lies between Chicago to its south and the wealthy North Shore suburbs along Lake Michigan. About 16% of its 75,000 residents are Black.
As across the United States, Blacks in Evanston were subjected to "redlining," a practice in which banks refused to make housing loans in predominantly Black neighborhoods. That kept Black residents from home ownership, a key source of wealth.
The impact of historic and systemic discrimination on Evanston's Black community persists. The Fifth Ward, where Robinson's great-grandmother ran two businesses out of her home, is predominantly Black and struggling with inferior infrastructure.

The city's campaign will draw from a new tax on legalized marijuana. Supporters say the funding mechanism is particularly apt, given how devastating the country's criminalization of marijuana has been to Black communities.

Here's something quite simple as well...you run things how you like in your town..and let others run them the way they want to..in theirs!
Do you remember when the Republicans were all about local govt.? Gone are the days!
So then put it to a local Vote.... Yes for reparation s to stop blacks from rioting or No tell them to go pound sand.

Umno.
. . . if folks, that is, a large percentage of them, like 40% or more, don't believe that the government is legitimate, yet are just going along. . .

. . . and then it decides to confiscate their wealth for such a program, do you really think they will continue to pay taxes?

:dunno:
Yeah..I do think so..mainly because..absent the ideological impetus..the numbers are far to small to impact their lives.

***yawn***

More like highway robbery and racist to boot

Forum List

Back