Remember when some of you said that Trump was an "authoritarian"?

Is it "authoritarian" of Biden to BAN menthol cigarettes? flacaltenn has a thread on the topic of banning menthols, but this thread isn't about that. This thread is about whether or not it's "authoritarian" of Biden to ban menthols.
Don wasn’t authoritarian but he certainly was a dumb ass. Yet another thing he has in common with old Joe.
Obama was smart and he campaigned hard in all 47 states

Yes and no.

The fact that he has that power is, in a way, authoritarian. He has that power though because of laws made decades ago and it did not suddenly become more authoritarian because Biden is using it now. Him exercising his powers is not and should not be a surprise.
its not like poor old joe even has any idea of what he is doing or reading of the teleprompter

Is it "authoritarian" of Biden to BAN menthol cigarettes? flacaltenn has a thread on the topic of banning menthols, but this thread isn't about that. This thread is about whether or not it's "authoritarian" of Biden to ban menthols.
Trump was not an Authoritarian. He was an Autocrat.

Yes and no.

The fact that he has that power is, in a way, authoritarian. He has that power though because of laws made decades ago and it did not suddenly become more authoritarian because Biden is using it now. Him exercising his powers is not and should not be a surprise.
its not like poor old joe even has any idea of what he is doing or reading of the teleprompter
Doing a heap load better than Trumpy!

Don wasn’t authoritarian but he certainly was a dumb ass. Yet another thing he has in common with old Joe.
Obama was smart and he campaigned hard in all 47 states
Meaning?

I'd be OK with banning cigarettes period.

Well, we could ban cigs, illicit drugs, alcohol, fast food, sweets, etc., and we'd undoubtedly be a much healthier and productive nation.

I'd be OK with banning cigarettes period.

Well, we could ban cigs, illicit drugs, alcohol, fast food, sweets, etc., and we'd undoubtedly be a much healthier and productive nation.
All those other items have legitimate uses.
Cigarettes do not.
Really that simple.
No they don't.
REALLY?
Alcohol cannot be used as a sedative?
A cheeseburger does not provide calories for sustenance, same for sweets?

Perhaps you're taking a narrow view here?

REALLY?

Alcohol is NOT a sedative. It's a toxin.

Calories are not "sustenance", they're units of energy. Sustenance is the vitamins, proteins, fats and nutrients which build strong healthy bodies. Cheeseburgers do provide nutrients, but are not a "balanced" meal because of the high amounts of animal fats it contains.

Alcohol is NOT a sedative. It's a toxin.

Calories are not "sustenance", they're units of energy. Sustenance is the vitamins, proteins, fats and nutrients which build strong healthy bodies. Cheeseburgers do provide nutrients, but are not a "balanced" meal because of the high amounts of animal fats it contains.
ALL sedatives are depressants and, in your words, toxins.
Take a little _____ you relax. Take more, rendered unconscious. Take even more? Dead.

Cheeseburgers? Apparently you forgot to watch that Super size Me show.

REALLY?

I must have missed your response but since the thread has been resurrected:

I may be taking a narrow view here but marking those other products as having 'legitimate' uses is just a silly word game that leads to nonsensical conclusions. I can use cigarettes as a sedative as well but such a use is no more or less 'legitimate' than using alcohol as one and is just as moronic considering the plethora of better alternatives. Using both those products for their mental effects is also just as legitimate of a use than using them as sedatives. The fact is, you are not the arbiter of what is legitimate for Joe Noone to consume. That right is held by the individual taking the substance alone.

What you consume is not subject to my definition of legitimate as you have ownership over your own body. You have a right to put whatever you want into it.

I must have missed your response but since the thread has been resurrected:

I may be taking a narrow view here but marking those other products as having 'legitimate' uses is just a silly word game that leads to nonsensical conclusions. I can use cigarettes as a sedative as well but such a use is no more or less 'legitimate' than using alcohol as one and is just as moronic considering the plethora of better alternatives. Using both those products for their mental effects is also just as legitimate of a use than using them as sedatives. The fact is, you are not the arbiter of what is legitimate for Joe Noone to consume. That right is held by the individual taking the substance alone.

What you consume is not subject to my definition of legitimate as you have ownership over your own body. You have a right to put whatever you want into it.
Nicotine is a stimulant. Try again.

Kind of a bait and switch, given that the title of the thread only mentions Trump.

Is it authoritarian to ban a dangerous product which is killing people? Who pays the medical bill when these people die? These poisons should have been taken off the market 50 years ago. Once the Surgeon General's Report was released.

Tobacco is a product that has no useful purpose other than to addict, sicken and kill people. But the Tobacco Industry employed thousands of people in the 1960's, and make the tobacco companies very rich, as well as tobacco farmers, and just like the gun lobby, the government does nothing to stop them.

The US government will let you kill people with impunity if Big Business can make enough money and employ enough people doing it. And they will protect your right to murder citizens if you donate enough money to their campaigns. Just ask Big Pharma about the ongoing opiod crisis.

You have little to no understanding the meaning of "authoritarianism".
Yes it is authoritarian to ban products which people like whether or not it is good for them.

Authoritarian tyrants always claim to be working for the good of their people or their country or the public or who ever.

People do not need to be taken care of.

Big pharma did not cause the opiod crises, government did

Who in their right mind eats a Big Mac? That's made from pink slime, not beef. I'm sick for 3 days when I eat at McDonalds.
Hundreds of millions eat them.'t and in fact You don't and in fact neither do I but the rest have every right to.

It's called freedom. At this point everybody with the intelligence to inhale air knows Tabaco is bad for them. If they choose to use it, it's none of your's or the government's business. I don't want a government that protects me from myself (and I'm not a smoker).

No it's not "freedom" at all. When it's my money going to help cure the results of their "freedom", that's not freedom at all.

Americans are being sold a bill of goods around the word "freedom", while the Republican Party continues to erode REAL freedoms, like abortion rights, voting rights, and the right to justice under the law.

Your "freedom" is not impugned by being required to get a vaccine. But it is impugned if you can't vote for the candidate of your choice.

Americans are being sold the idea that if they can't do whatever they want at any time, their "freedom" is being taken away. There is nothing so gullible as Americans being sold their "freedumbs". You can wrap any odious behaviour in the "freedumb" issue, you have a winner.

Forum List

Back