People just read the title. They don't click on links, nor do they read articles

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
Even people who share “fake news” stories typically never read (or even click on) them. That is, people are not sharing the content because they read the stories, grew convinced of their factual accuracy, and are genuinely trying to inform others. Instead, people typically share these stories based on their headlines, for a whole host of social reasons, while recognizing them to be of questionable accuracy (see here, here, here, here and here for more on this).

No, America is not on the brink of a civil war | Musa al-Gharbi

So, there's this study (first link) that says when you make a post, like we do here on USMB, people will only read the title. Often, they won't click on your link or read the article.

So, a catchy title is everything. The link can lead to lies, misinformation or whatever, nobody will read it.

Often, the poster knows the source is questionable. The poster is only interested in the title too.

I'm sure there's one or two of you who read everything, but you are very much the exception.

Do you believe this?

Even people who share “fake news” stories typically never read (or even click on) them. That is, people are not sharing the content because they read the stories, grew convinced of their factual accuracy, and are genuinely trying to inform others. Instead, people typically share these stories based on their headlines, for a whole host of social reasons, while recognizing them to be of questionable accuracy (see here, here, here, here and here for more on this).

So, there's this study (first link) that says when you make a post, like we do here on USMB, people will only read the title. Often, they won't click on your link or read the article.

So, a catchy title is everything. The link can lead to lies, misinformation or whatever, nobody will read it.

Often, the poster knows the source is questionable. The poster is only interested in the title too.

I'm sure there's one or two of you who read everything, but you are very much the exception.

Do you believe this?
who the fuck is Musa al gharbi?...

When I first arrived at USMB, I was horrified.

All these fake news stories! WTF!

But now I realize that nobody reads the fake news stories. That they know the stories are fake. They know the websites that host these stories are fake news sites.

It's the title of the fake news story that's important to them.

But now I realize that nobody reads the fake news stories. That they know the stories are fake. They know the websites that host these stories are fake news sites.

No, its having the common sense not to pay attention to fake news, a concept you never heard of.

but yet here you are doing what you say everyone else is doing....

Nobody reads the article or clicks on the link.

So, the title serves as a talking point for discussion.

Do you believe this?
Links posted by libs are all fake news....if a news agency is hiding shit from you.... they are dishonest and cannot be trusted and are not worth anyone's time....

You’re an interesting troll. When people read your posts (including any links) and reply to rebut, refute or whatever, you tend to simply move on instead of discussing.

Forum List

Back