Patriotism

Groups of people, especially with conflicting interests clash and fight.

When nations do it, the motivation for some of the people is often "patriotism".

But, such violence is not limited to Patriots, and Patriots and Patriotism does manifest in other ways.

For Wilde to smear all Patriots by claiming that it is a "virtue of the vicious" is him being an asshole and a fool.

In today's world, plenty of people are being increasingly violent, and they are not Patriots.

Indeed, they are targeting Patriots.
no, those people are acting on their own version of patriotism.

You seem to have a blind spot an can only recognize your personal feelings as patriotic and regard those with different opinions as unpatriotic.

Lots of things. Jazz, Soul, R&B and Hip Hop. Harriet Tubman. She was a real life super hero. Civil rights activists in general and their victory through democracy rather than violence. Football. Basketball. 60s - 70s muscle cars. 80s fashion. McDonald's. Barbecue. Reliable infrastructure and government. I love the vibrancy and multicultural mashup that is South Florida. American movies and TV shows are better. Squid Game was pretty good though. And there are a lot of great foreign movies but no one can touch a big Hollywood blockbuster. And a million other things.

How does it make you feel when so many of your fellow lefties spend so much time talking shit on America, as though it is a shit place full of shit people?

How does it make you feel when so many of your fellow lefties spend so much time talking shit on America, as though it is a shit place full of shit people?
Amused. I don't catch hurt feelings over the opinions of randos.

These opinion have real world effects. People's lives are changed, sometimes ruined. People sometimes die.
Lol. And? What specifically are you talking about? Give an example. My general sentiment though is life is messy what do you want? To deny people a right to opinions you don't agree with?

Lol. And? What specifically are you talking about? Give an example. My general sentiment though is life is messy what do you want? To deny people a right to opinions you don't agree with?

When their opinions are shit and their voicing them leads to people being hurt, discussing that,

is not denying them their right to speech. But judging them on their actions and the results of those actions.

When their opinions are shit and their voicing them leads to people being hurt, discussing that, is not denying them their right to speech. But judging them on their actions and the results of those actions.
I never suggested otherwise, I was asking you a question. Who cares if you think they're opinions are shit? What does that have to do with patriotism? When opinions and speech lead to violence that's a crime called Incitement. It's one of the Jan. 6th commission is looking into with Bannon and Trump.

I never suggested otherwise, I was asking you a question. Who cares if you think they're opinions are shit? What does that have to do with patriotism? When opinions and speech lead to violence that's a crime called Incitement. It's one of the Jan. 6th commission is looking into with Bannon and Trump.

Their opinions are hurting the country. and teh very idea of American Patriotism.

That's your opinion. So what? They probably feel the same way about you.

They are welcome to make that case.

Someone who "loves" something, would be offended, if someone else, is talking shit about that something.

You listen to people talking shit about America, and despite your claim of Patriotism, you are only "amused".

They are welcome to make that case.

Someone who "loves" something, would be offended, if someone else, is talking shit about that something.

You listen to people talking shit about America, and despite your claim of Patriotism, you are only "amused".
Feelings are subjective when you understand what that means then maybe you can make a rational point.

Feelings are subjective when you understand what that means then maybe you can make a rational point.

Patriotism is a feeling that you claim to have.

Yet, you admit that when you hear people talking shit about the Nation that you claim to love, what you "feel" is amusement.

That is a very rational point. Address it.

Patriotism is a feeling that you claim to have.

Yet, you admit that when you hear people talking shit about the Nation that you claim to love, what you "feel" is amusement.

That is a very rational point. Address it.
It's not a rational point and it makes me think that you don't understand what subjective or rational means. Love is a feeling, which is subjective, which means we all experience it differently.

It's not a rational point and it makes me think that you don't understand what subjective or rational means. Love is a feeling, which is subjective, which means we all experience it differently.

Are you claiming that all the "somethings" you love, you have no problem when people talk shit about them?

Is this your "normal"?

Do you like it when people talk shit about you? At work, if you hear that someone is telling your boss lies about what a shitty person you are, does that amuse you?

Because is AMERICA, is the only thing you "love" that it amuses you when people talk shit about it, then that is not "love" you are feeling,

Are you claiming that all the "somethings" you love, you have no problem when people talk shit about them?

Is this your "normal"?
Depends on the context I suppose. If someone were talking shit about my mum in my face we'd have a problem but randos online saying what they hate about America doesn't really bother me much. Of course my mother has feelings and America being an imaginary human construct does not.
Do you like it when people talk shit about you? At work, if you hear that someone is telling your boss lies about what a shitty person you are, does that amuse you?
It does. I'm an independent contractor and I am my own boss, so yeah, I'd probably be amused by that as well.
Because is AMERICA, is the only thing you "love" that it amuses you when people talk shit about it, then that is not "love" you are feeling,
You're free to tell someone they don't love something they say they do, but love remains subjective and that remains a hilariously irrationally statement.

Depends on the context I suppose. If someone were talking shit about my mum in my face we'd have a problem

Good. That is real love.

but randos online saying what they hate about America doesn't really bother me much. Of course my mother has feelings and America being an imaginary human construct does not.

America is real. People who love something, generally don't deny it's existence. You might want to remember that, the next time you try to convince someone that you are Patriotic.

It does. I'm an independent contractor and I am my own boss, so yeah, I'd probably be amused by that as well.

You're free to tell someone they don't love something they say they do, but love remains subjective and that remains a hilariously irrationally statement.

Independent contractors depend on contracts. If someone was going around and talking shit to clients that you were a bad contractor, you would be "amused"?

That is not very credible.

Forum List

Back