Patriotism

Operation Mass Appeal - Wikipedia

Operation Mass Appeal was an operation set up by the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) in the runup to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. It was a campaign aimed at planting stories in the media about Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction. The existence of the operation was exposed in December 2003, although officials denied that the operation was deliberately disseminating misinformation. The MI6 operation secretly incorporated the United Nations Special Commission investigating Iraq's alleged sto....
irrelevant---Iraq violated the cease fire- right there is reason enough to CONTINUE the war

Patriotism is based on emotion, and as with any emotion, it can become terribly distorted, easily manipulated and ultimately counterproductive.

As we're seeing.
I agree with what you said, but I probably disagree on what you think we are seeing.

Fuck patriotism. It means nothing.

Fuck this shit union. It's useless.

I want Texas independence because I can think of no reason why we need a federal government. All it does is tax and spend on shit I don't need or get no benefit from.

I agree with what you said, but I probably disagree on what you think we are seeing.

I want Texas independence because I can think of no reason why we need a federal government. All it does is tax and spend on shit I don't need or get no benefit from.
Well, you'd have my full support.

In a thread discussing Patriotism, you posted a quote that "Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious".

I'm not "vicious", I might be pissed off at all the leftards being assholes, but that is not me being "vicious", that is me reacting in a normal manner to people who are assholes

And I am a Patriot.
Take a minute to ponder what Wilde meant by that quote. But then again you'd have to actually read Oscar Wilde's writings to do that

No, he was an asshole who, like GWB, went way too far.

You owe Blues Man a beer.
Iraq violated the cease fire
saddam gassed his own people--like hitler
saddam violated a cease fire - like hitler
sadddam started TWO wars, hitler 1
saddam was in a position to fk up the world's economy
etc

Take a minute to ponder what Wilde meant by that quote. But then again you'd have to actually read Oscar Wilde's writings to do that

I've not read much "Literature". I read mostly genre fiction or non-fiction.

If you had some hidden point due to unstated context, make it, or I will just take it as I see it, which is as an attack on the very idea of Patriotism.

I've been thinking about patriotism recently.

Often patriotism is used as a political tool, more or less like "cancel culture", it's used to try and force people to think a certain way, often forcing people to accept right wing policies for fear of being called "non-patriotic".

I've also looked at the rise of patriotism in China under Xi.

I've ended up looking at the terminology of Patriotism. "Love of one's country" and comparing it with love in other ways, especially loving a husband or wife.

Often, the manifestation of love between two people isn't about what a person RECEIVES, it's about what they GIVE. People often give up things because they value their loving relationship more than they value those things they did before the relationship.

So, essentially patriotism which is all about a person RECEIVING things from their country, like wealth, like comfort, like a certain way of life etc etc, would be like a man saying he loves his wife because she gives him sex.

Whereas the proper way (in my opinion) of seeing patriotism would be more like, a man gives up drinking on a Friday night to spend it with his wife because he knows his wife doesn't like him going away. This would be the equivalent of a person treating their country with respect. Not littering, not committing crime, participating the political process intelligently and for the greater good of society, rather than for personal gain.

This is often no so clear cut. When the US went to war in Iraq in 2003, people who went to fight might be considered "Patriots" for risking their life for their country. However someone who refused to go fight might also be considered a "Patriot" because the Iraq War was clearly a private enterprise using public money and public services (the armed forces) for profit.
When I was a little kid, my parents would take me to the Fourth of July parade in our town.

When the American flag would pass by, I would see these old men who had served in WWII and Korea salute and tears would be running down their faces. That seemed very strange to me at the time.

I went to many such parades over the years and then I joined the military myself and served for 20 years. I saw a lot of evil in the world and often thought of the creature comforts and freedoms my former high school buddies were enjoying while I was away.

When I retired, it was the month of June. No long after, I went to a Fourth of July parade, and when that flag went by, I'll be damned if I didn't choke up and it took everything I had not to bust into tears. That really caught me by surprise.

Not long after that, I was at a get-together at a friend's house and one of the other guests started complaining that the local 7-Eleven was out of cherry-flavored slurpee.

I almost bitch-slapped the guy. It took me a while to adjust to civilian life. :lol:

Then I started hearing political assholes equating "patriotism" to banning the burning of the flag. And how you must be a friend of the terrorists if you don't wear a flag pin or are against torture. These same pricks had magnetic yellow ribbons on their SUVs.

I felt terribly disappointed and betrayed.

I still do when I see how this idiocy and wrong-headedness has evolved.

America completely lost its mind after 9/11, and it still has not recovered. That's why I have the Charles MacKay quote in my signature.

My best friend from high school is now a sheriff's deputy in the Deep South. He has become a total jingoistic maniac. I hardly know him any more.

Last edited:
When I was a little kid, my parents would take me to the Fourth of July parade in our town.

When the American flag would pass by, I would see these old men who had served in WWII and Korea salute and tears would be running down their faces. That seemed very strange to me at the time.

I went to many such parades over the years and then I joined the military myself and served for 20 years. I saw a lot of evil in the world and often thought of the creature comforts and freedoms my former high school buddies were enjoying while I was away.

When I retired, it was the month of June. No long after, I went to a Fourth of July parade, and when that flag went by, I'll be damned if I didn't choke up and it took everything I had not to bust into tears. That really caught me by surprise.

Not long after that, I was at a get-together at a friend's house and one of the other guests started complaining that the local 7-Eleven was out of cherry-flavored slurpee.

I almost bitch-slapped the guy. It took me a while to adjust to civilian life. :lol:

Then I started hearing political assholes equating "patriotism" to banning the burning of the flag. And how you must be a friend of the terrorists if you don't wear a flag pin or are against torture. These same pricks had magnetic yellow ribbons on their SUVs.

America completely lost its mind after 9/11, and it still has not recovered. That's why I have the Charles MacKay quote in my signature.

My best friend from high school is now a sheriff's deputy in the Deep South. He has become a total jingoistic maniac. I hardly know him any more.

We did not lose our minds after 9-11. We were angry and there was a war. If anything, we are still far too open and generour with hostile aliens.

I'm not sure the US lost its mind after 9/11. Certainly it wasn't good after 9/11. But before 9/11 the US was gallivanting around the world pretending to be the "World's police force", you could say that even Korea was the US trying to tell people what to do.

The US has supported many dictators, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Pinochet to name a few.

That happens and my Mississippi ass will become a Texan over night!!

Ja, nein! Zie wery vord "nationalist" hast zie vord.. hell, CONTAINZ zie vord "nation" innit, du dumbkopf!

So, you think because a word contains another word, it must mean that this is the only thing it can refer to?

Yeah, no. I had this argument about the "universe" with someone, who claimed because the "universe" has "uni" in it, that means there could only be one "universe". I pointed out there was also a word called "multiverse" which therefore, according to this bad logic, mean there were automatically many "universes".

Get this, there's a word, "pan-nationalism".....

"Pan-nationalism (from Greek: πᾶν, "all", and French: nationalisme, "nationalism") is a specific term, used mainly in social sciences as a designation for those forms of nationalism that are trying to transcend (overcome) traditional boundaries of basic national identities,"

Ja, go figure.

TRUMP: (inaudible) I'm -- and I'm meeting with people that are terrific people, but I have to say something because it's about judgment.

I am the only person on this dais -- the only person -- that fought very, very hard against us (ph), and I wasn't a sitting politician going into Iraq, because I said going into Iraq -- that was in 2003, you can check it out, check out -- I'll give you 25 different stories.

TRUMP: In fact, a delegation was sent to my office to see me because I was so vocal about it. I'm a very militaristic person, but you have to know when to use the military. I'm the only person up here that fought against going into Iraq.

TRUMP WANTED THE TERRORISTS TO WIN!

When I see the fat greasy slob Donald Trump make tough talk and hug the flag, I feel bile rising in my throat.

Bone Spur's fakery, pandering and cowardice are as transparent as Trump Vodka. It amazes me that anyone falls for that bullshit.

Patriotism is based on emotion, and as with any emotion, it can become terribly distorted, easily manipulated and ultimately counterproductive.

As we're seeing.
george-orwell-1117770.jpg

Yeah, maybe if this were some kind of kids entertainment website, I'd look rather "Lightened up", but this is a politics website.
dr-strangelove-stanley.gif

Next time you get all worried about not sounding silly around here, try not being so fallacious. Perhaps a tad more fellatioish or cunninlinguish as suggested by each case. That'll be $10. Cheap! Just email it to MyGreatBigGrumblyNuts.com.

Forum List

Back