Parole and prison; a balancing act

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
"For a small parole violation, we can send an offender to the county jail for two to seven days. The sheriff and the jail staff is great and they work well with us; they've never turned away one of our offenders," Baxter County parole officer Harry Nuccio said. "They get tired of eating beans and they don't want to repeat the experience."

Parole officers must balance three sometimes clashing priorities when it comes to parole violations.
...First comes public safety.

...The next priority is rehabilitation.

...The third priority is not to overload jails and prisons with offenders if at all possible

Parole and prison a balancing act

The third installment. ^^^

"For a small parole violation, we can send an offender to the county jail for two to seven days. The sheriff and the jail staff is great and they work well with us; they've never turned away one of our offenders," Baxter County parole officer Harry Nuccio said. "They get tired of eating beans and they don't want to repeat the experience."

Parole officers must balance three sometimes clashing priorities when it comes to parole violations.

...The third priority is not to overload jails and prisons with offenders if at all possible

Parole is a huge waste of tax dollars, period. If a person is sentenced to 5 years in prison, they serve the five years, they get released, and that should be that. They've served their time, paid their dues, suffered the punishment, and they should be done, finished, unless they break the law again. No need to punish them, release them, and continue to punish them. Once they serve their time behind bars, they should be leased and forgotten unless they break the law again. What is the real purpose of probation anyway?

Parole is a huge waste of tax dollars, period. If a person is sentenced to 5 years in prison, they serve the five years, they get released, and that should be that. They've served their time, paid their dues, suffered the punishment, and they should be done, finished, unless they break the law again. No need to punish them, release them, and continue to punish them. Once they serve their time behind bars, they should be leased and forgotten unless they break the law again. What is the real purpose of probation anyway?
Is parole the same as probation?

No. Probation is a period of supervision in the community imposed by the court as an alternative to imprisonment. Parole is the release of a prisoner to supervision in the community after he/she has completed a part of his/her sentence in an institution.
Frequently Asked Questions USPC Department of Justice

No. It's not a waste.

They are eligible 1/3 through the sentence (depending-see the above link).

No. Probation is a period of supervision in the community imposed by the court as an alternative to imprisonment. Parole is the release of a prisoner to supervision in the community after he/she has completed a part of his/her sentence in an institution.

No. It's not a waste.

Well, in my opinion, it is a waste of taxpayers' hard earned dollars. Let them serve their time, then release them with no strings attached. There's no purpose in continuing to punish them after they serve their time behind bars. Let them complete their sentence behind bars, then release them.

No. It's not a waste.

Well, in my opinion, it is a waste of taxpayers' hard earned dollars. Let them serve their time, then release them with no strings attached. There's no purpose in continuing to punish them after they serve their time behind bars. Let them complete their sentence behind bars, then release them.

OIC, you support mandatory minimums.

Unfortunately many companies and all state and federal agencies now will not hire felons, so the punishment is life long, which is cruel and unusual for those seeking redemption back into society....

No. It's not a waste.

I support one serving time for crime. I support complete freedom once the debt to society has been paid. I support doing time for crime, then release when finished with punishment, no strings attached. If one is sentenced to 5 years, they do their 5 years and get released with no strings attached. I support release from jail or prison, after sentence is fully completed, with no strings attached. I can't make it any more clear than that. I oppose the waste of taxpayers' hard earned dollars on the parole system. If one is given 10 years for a crime, they serve 10 years, plain and simple. They have the right to file appeals and to be represented by a lawyer. Parole is a waste of tax dollars. We waste enough money as it is on luxury living in prisons, placing innocent citizens in prison and jail, and a ridiculous amount of tax dollars on circumstantial evidence cases. Why waste more on the parole system? It doesn't make sense to me.

No. It's not a waste.

I support one serving time for crime. I support complete freedom once the debt to society has been paid. I support doing time for crime, then release when finished with punishment, no strings attached. If one is sentenced to 5 years, they do their 5 years and get released with no strings attached. I support release from jail or prison, after sentence is fully completed, with no strings attached. I can't make it any more clear than that. I oppose the waste of taxpayers' hard earned dollars on the parole system. If one is given 10 years for a crime, they serve 10 years, plain and simple. They have the right to file appeals and to be represented by a lawyer. Parole is a waste of tax dollars. We waste enough money as it is on luxury living in prisons, placing innocent citizens in prison and jail, and a ridiculous amount of tax dollars on circumstantial evidence cases. Why waste more on the parole system? It doesn't make sense to me.
Luxury living in prisons? Do tell.

Yep, you support mandatory minimums and three strikes law.

No. It's not a waste.

No, I do NOT support mandatory minimums. No, I do NOT support the "three strike" law.
Luxury living in prison: Big screen TV's, completely equipped gyms, computers, libraries, outside rec areas, games and videos, etc.

No. It's not a waste.

No, I do NOT support mandatory minimums. No, I do NOT support the "three strike" law.
Luxury living in prison: Big screen TV's, completely equipped gyms, computers, libraries, outside rec areas, games and videos, etc.

Libraries? Seriously? How many prisons have all of that.
United States
In the United States, the Federal Bureau of Prisons, an agency of the U.S. Department of Justice, has put into place the Trust Fund Limited Inmate Computer System (TRULINCS) on February 19, 2009. This allows inmates access to electronic messaging through e-mails. The message must be text only, and must be conducted in a secure manner between inmate and the public. Messages are subject to monitoring. Currently all institutions operated by the Bureau of Prisons have TRULINCS. However outside of the TRULINCS program, nearly all states prohibit Internet use by inmates, limiting technology based access to educational opportunities.[9]
Internet in prisons - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Yeah, you do support them. You just don't realize it.

United States
In the United States, the Federal Bureau of Prisons, an agency of the U.S. Department of Justice, has put into place the Trust Fund Limited Inmate Computer System (TRULINCS) on February 19, 2009. This allows inmates access to electronic messaging through e-mails. The message must be text only, and must be conducted in a secure manner between inmate and the public. Messages are subject to monitoring. Currently all institutions operated by the Bureau of Prisons have TRULINCS. However outside of the TRULINCS program, nearly all states prohibit Internet use by inmates, limiting technology based access to educational opportunities.[9]

What about the fully equipped gyms, the libraries, big screen TV's, games and videos, outside rec areas, etc.? No, I do NOT support them, in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I have already explained what I support. Should I repeat it for your benefit?

United States

What about the fully equipped gyms, the libraries, big screen TV's, games and videos, outside rec areas, etc.? No, I do NOT support them, in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I have already explained what I support. Should I repeat it for your benefit?

:cool-45: sure thing.

You need an outside rec area and not every prison has a fully equipped gym. It depends on the state and on whether it's a privately owned prison or a state owned prison. Video games are more likely found in a privately owned prison. Most states you can order a tv but they only come in one size (I think). You can get a black and white one or a 13 inch. They charge you out the whazoo for it. Go to your state resources and check it out.
This is Washington State information on their commissary.
Prison Life - Commissary Store

Commissary prices for Mississippi:
http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/PDF Files/price list 2013_1.pdf

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists

United States

You need an outside rec area and not every prison has a fully equipped gym. It depends on the state and on whether it's a privately owned prison or a state owned prison. Video games are more likely found in a privately owned prison. Most states you can order a tv but they only come in one size (I think). You can get a black and white one or a 13 inch. They charge you out the whazoo for it. Go to your state resources and check it out.

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists
So, you're saying that the videos from inside prisons, shown on TV documentaries, is all staged and fabricated to impress someone viewing? And, the many articles that have appeared over the years, concerning prison life, are all phony and misrepresentations? And, the sources you, are fully representative of prisons in this country? So, according to you, and your sources, big careen TV's are rare, fully equipped gyms are rare, fully equipped outside rec areas are rare, video games and other games are rare, libraries are rare, and computers are equally rare? Do I understand you properly?

So, according to you, and your sources, prison life is dull, boring, and without any luxuries. In other words, it's rare to find a prison with the things that I've mentioned? So, all of the stories about inmates researching legal information on computers and in prison libraries to assist them in appeals, are lies? Prisoners do not have gyms, rec areas, games, etc.? Right?

I'll go check my resources and post them for your benefit.

United States

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists
So, you're saying that the videos from inside prisons, shown on TV documentaries, is all staged and fabricated to impress someone viewing? And, the many articles that have appeared over the years, concerning prison life, are all phony and misrepresentations? And, the sources you, are fully representative of prisons in this country? So, according to you, and your sources, big careen TV's are rare, fully equipped gyms are rare, fully equipped outside rec areas are rare, video games and other games are rare, libraries are rare, and computers are equally rare? Do I understand you properly?

So, according to you, and your sources, prison life is dull, boring, and without any luxuries. In other words, it's rare to find a prison with the things that I've mentioned? So, all of the stories about inmates researching legal information on computers and in prison libraries to assist them in appeals, are lies? Prisoners do not have gyms, rec areas, games, etc.? Right?

How many times do I have to reiterate that it is a state thing? I think you are intentionally obtuse. So, just so we are clear: I bring you the information from the states themselves and you run to reality tv? Do go on.

I'm telling you that it differs by state. Libraries are not rare. Updating them is a little hard to do and dependent on the resources. The fact that you consider them a luxury item is asinine. Hence, the seriously?

You can search through a computer without being on line as we know it and it can be used for education. Federal prisons are a whole 'nother ball game.

You will find the video games more than likely in private prisons instead of those owned by the state.

You have to have an outside rec area. Not every prison is going to have a full gym.

But, sure, you go run and do what you can to misconstrue what I actually said.

Last edited:

United States

Take A Tour Of America s Cushiest Prison - Business Insider
Luxury prisons - AskMen
America s most luxurious jail California prison is charging inmates 155 to upgrade to fancy wing with widescreen TV and quiet surroundings Daily Mail Online
America s 10 Cushiest Prisons - Forbes
Prisons in United States have too many comforts - Journal News News sports jobs community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
http://scholar.valpo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1471&context=core_reader
States Spend Almost Four Times More Per Capita on Incarcerating Prisoners Than Educating Students Studies Say Fox News
Do prisoners have too much luxury too many privileges Watt s The Story

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists

United States

Luxury prisons - AskMen
America s most luxurious jail California prison is charging inmates 155 to upgrade to fancy wing with widescreen TV and quiet surroundings Daily Mail Online
Prisons in United States have too many comforts - Journal News News sports jobs community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
States Spend Almost Four Times More Per Capita on Incarcerating Prisoners Than Educating Students Studies Say Fox News

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists
Luxury prisons - AskMen

United States

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists

How many times do I have to reiterate that it is a state thing? I think you are intentionally obtuse. So, just so we are clear: I bring you the information from the states themselves and you run to reality tv? Do go on.

I'm telling you that it differs by state. Libraries are not rare. Updating them is a little hard to do and dependent on the resources. The fact that you consider them a luxury item is asinine. Hence, the seriously?

You can search through a computer without being on line as we know it and it can be used for education. Federal prisons are a whole 'nother ball game.

You will find the video games more than likely in private prisons instead of those owned by the state.

You have to have an outside rec area. Not every prison is going to have a full gym.

Luxury prisons - AskMen

United States

Commissary prices for PA
Commissary Lists

FYI - I posted LINKS where you can see for yourself exactly what I'm talking about. Check out the links and tell me that prisoners don't have luxuries. And, it's not just a "STATE" thing either. Also, I wasn't speaking of "EVERY" prison.

From the first link-a federal prison which clearly states:
Federal Prison Camp in Alderson, W. Va. is our pick.

Key words: white collar criminals
They get to enjoy yoga and other luxuries inmates in other prisons don't have ...

From your second link: The special needs jail. The ones where you are out of your cell for one hour?
The rest are federal prisons.

From your third link:
The program is open only to inmates convicted of misdemeanors who receive prior approval from a judge. Approval is contingent on passing a health screening, which includes a TB test, and a background check to ensure a non-violent past, according to ABC News.

Your fourth link is by and large a reiteration of the others. Again-federal prison.

You're fifth link is opining and no access to read the entirety of it.

You're sixth link written by high school students?

The link from Fox news does not have anything to do with luxury.

The last one is opining to the prison system in the UK.

Tell me, do you know the difference between federal and state?

From the first link-a federal prison which clearly states:
Federal Prison Camp in Alderson, W. Va. is our pick.

Key words: white collar criminals
They get to enjoy yoga and other luxuries inmates in other prisons don't have ...

From your second link: The special needs jail. The ones where you are out of your cell for one hour?
The rest are federal prisons.

From your third link:
The program is open only to inmates convicted of misdemeanors who receive prior approval from a judge. Approval is contingent on passing a health screening, which includes a TB test, and a background check to ensure a non-violent past, according to ABC News.

Your fourth link is by and large a reiteration of the others. Again-federal prison.

You're fifth link is opining and no access to read the entirety of it.

You're sixth link written by high school students?

The link from Fox news does not have anything to do with luxury.

The last one is opining to the prison system in the UK.

Tell me, do you know the difference between federal and state?
Yes, I do know the difference. And, I originally stated "luxuries in prison", and did NOT say either "state" nor "federal". You're the one that mentioned the difference, not me. Go back and read my original comment on this matter and see if I said either "state", or "federal" prison. My point is "luxuries" in prisons, and I neither stated "state", nor "federal". In addition, this conversation was about parole, and NOT about either "state" or "federal" anything. I am against "parole", period. I am against "luxuries" in prisons, period.

Now, I have stated my opinion, and I stand by it. If you disagree, fine, no problem. You're entitled to your opinion, and have the right to express it. Again, I am against "parole". I am against "luxuries" in prisons.

Forum List

Back