My Truck feels Lonely since I drive an Electic Trike

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
I have put in almost 250 miles in the last month on an Electric Trike that qualifies as a Low Speed Electric Bicycle. I use it for almost every short drive of less than 3 mile radius unless I need to haul something large or heavy or the weather is just trashed. The good news is, traffic isn't a problem since it can be used on the Bike Lanes and the LE tolerates it on sidewalks when there are no bike lanes and the traffic would jam up with a slower vehicle when it becomes a safety issue. Top speed is pre-programmed to 21.9 to comply with the 20mph law. It can go faster but the programming won't allow it.

1589428381164.jpeg

This isn't a stock bike. The Forks are Chrome alloy with two anti toque bars. The Brakes have been upgraded. The 7 speed system has been upgraded. Obviously the addition of the electric kit is top of the line with Odometer, Speedometer, and more. It has 1500 watts but it's preprogrammed to comply with the law to 750 watts. The battery is a Lipo4 25 AH. The range is unknown. So far, I have gone non stop 20 miles. On a heavy 3 wheeler made of Steel and my weight of 250 lbs and on the return trip, loaded the basket with groceries, that's a good distance. But you have to understand, on any bicycle, 20 miles isn't just a ride, it's an adventure.

The distance is real world. It's not a cement track, banked oval. This is Western Slope Colorado and the first 10 miles was a heavy, heavy climb out with no pedaling. I will admit that I kept it down to about 17 or 18 miles per hour though and on one very steep hill, it did slow down to about 14mph which is still too fast to pedal assist even with the 7 speed. I know of a commercial e-bike company here that makes all sorts of fantastic claims where there's can go 35 miles according to the manual using a 15AH battery and costs somewhere over 4000 bucks but, again, this is Western Slope Real World Colorado and anywhere you are going to, at least half of it will be a heavy uphill climb. Cost for this "Hotrod" totaled about 1200 bucks including the larger battery.

We can drive golf carts in my neighborhood.
Have really thought getting one. Had one at the weekend place but it wouldnt qualify for a golf cart here.
The big gnarly tires,lift and a flatbed in back kinda disqualified it.
But yeah I think it would be cool to be able to run up to the corner store or Sprouts rather than driving the truck.

• Banned
That thing is uglier than homemade soap.

Almost everyone that sees it on the street smiles, gives thumbs up and has positive comments. And you are wrong. It's not uglier than homemade soap, it's just plain FUGLY and it does the job. And operating costs are almost zero. Repairs are almost zero. No registration or insurance required. Although I have a license, no operators license is required. Paying thousands of dollars a year just to go get a loaf of bread doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you can use FUGLY to do it for essentially nothing.

Poor people think like you do but Rich people know why one of these would be used. And yet, it costs to build about what a piece of crap used car will cost. Not a good first vehicle but a great 2nd vehicle. It would be ideal for anyone on a low income. But poor people are poor for a reason.

• Banned
Have really thought getting one. Had one at the weekend place but it wouldnt qualify for a golf cart here.
But yeah I think it would be cool to be able to run up to the corner store or Sprouts rather than driving the truck.

The advantage of the Low Speed Electric Bicycle over the Golf Cart of even the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle is that the Low Speed Electric Bicycle can operate on ANY public road regardless with the exception of the Interstate or otherwise posted roads. In one neighborhood the Leos do tolerate
Golf Carts although it's against the law. They just can't go outside the neighborhood.

Almost everyone that sees it on the street smiles, gives thumbs up and has positive comments. And you are wrong. It's not uglier than homemade soap, it's just plain FUGLY and it does the job. And operating costs are almost zero. Repairs are almost zero. No registration or insurance required. Although I have a license, no operators license is required. Paying thousands of dollars a year just to go get a loaf of bread doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you can use FUGLY to do it for essentially nothing.

Poor people think like you do but Rich people know why one of these would be used. And yet, it costs to build about what a piece of crap used car will cost. Not a good first vehicle but a great 2nd vehicle. It would be ideal for anyone on a low income. But poor people are poor for a reason.

I see where you're coming from but give me a golf cart everytime.
How long does a charge last?
When lived up at the weekend place for a few years I found plugging in the cart in every four days worked best and that was with daily use. Could have gone much longer if it wasnt for the hills.

It's not for me but kudos to you for being secure enough to ride that thing. You should just go all in with the silliness factor and add handlegrip streamers and a horn with a big red ball.

The advantage of the Low Speed Electric Bicycle over the Golf Cart of even the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle is that the Low Speed Electric Bicycle can operate on ANY public road regardless with the exception of the Interstate or otherwise posted roads. In one neighborhood the Leos do tolerate
Golf Carts although it's against the law. They just can't go outside the neighborhood.

My neighborhood is HUGE as in 8'000 acres huge.
If I have business on the other side of the neighborhood I'd drive my truck.

I have put in almost 250 miles in the last month on an Electric Trike that qualifies as a Low Speed Electric Bicycle. I use it for almost every short drive of less than 3 mile radius unless I need to haul something large or heavy or the weather is just trashed. The good news is, traffic isn't a problem since it can be used on the Bike Lanes and the LE tolerates it on sidewalks when there are no bike lanes and the traffic would jam up with a slower vehicle when it becomes a safety issue. Top speed is pre-programmed to 21.9 to comply with the 20mph law. It can go faster but the programming won't allow it.

View attachment 335757

This isn't a stock bike. The Forks are Chrome alloy with two anti toque bars. The Brakes have been upgraded. The 7 speed system has been upgraded. Obviously the addition of the electric kit is top of the line with Odometer, Speedometer, and more. It has 1500 watts but it's preprogrammed to comply with the law to 750 watts. The battery is a Lipo4 25 AH. The range is unknown. So far, I have gone non stop 20 miles. On a heavy 3 wheeler made of Steel and my weight of 250 lbs and on the return trip, loaded the basket with groceries, that's a good distance. But you have to understand, on any bicycle, 20 miles isn't just a ride, it's an adventure.

The distance is real world. It's not a cement track, banked oval. This is Western Slope Colorado and the first 10 miles was a heavy, heavy climb out with no pedaling. I will admit that I kept it down to about 17 or 18 miles per hour though and on one very steep hill, it did slow down to about 14mph which is still too fast to pedal assist even with the 7 speed. I know of a commercial e-bike company here that makes all sorts of fantastic claims where there's can go 35 miles according to the manual using a 15AH battery and costs somewhere over 4000 bucks but, again, this is Western Slope Real World Colorado and anywhere you are going to, at least half of it will be a heavy uphill climb. Cost for this "Hotrod" totaled about 1200 bucks including the larger battery.
That's kind of cool. Got to be a strange sight with 250 lb guy and a load of groceries, but cool because of the tech. Knew you were a tech guy. Real surprise you would go this direction of transportation on the western slopes in Colorado.

My neighborhood is HUGE as in 8'000 acres huge.
If I have business on the other side of the neighborhood I'd drive my truck.

Oh....thats 18 square miles.

I have a golf cart and we can ride them to and from the course but we can't leave the gated community with them....but I have several times when I've ran out of beer..... :dunno:

I have a golf cart and we can ride them to and from the course but we can't leave the gated community with them....but I have several times when I've ran out of beer..... :dunno:

We're lucky enough to have two courses so they cover the whole neighborhood.
In my gated section I can drive the Polaris to check my mail or otherwise putt around.

1589433677916.png

Since it is quiet and doesn't pollute, many people won't like it. Electric vehicles just make too much sense. With just a couple of solar panels they can be recharged for free, so oil lovers are upset. It would make one too self sufficient and independent.
As "Hog" fans demonstrate, there's nothing like the feeling of imposing your noise and air pollution on everyone!

Since it is quiet and doesn't pollute, many people won't like it. Electric vehicles just make too much sense. With just a couple of solar panels they can be recharged for free, so oil lovers are upset. It would make one too self sufficient and independent.
As "Hog" fans demonstrate, there's nothing like the feeling of imposing your noise and air pollution on everyone!
/——/ It had nothing to do with being an oil lover. What an asinine statement. We have an infrastructure of gasoline supplies all over the world that took 100 years to build. The range of a gasoline or diesel car is unlimited. Electrics are fine for local travel but the lack of charging stations and the long recharge time makes them impractical. Maybe in 25 years. You big dope.

BTW, in California when the power was cut to stop the fires, all the “electric lovers” cars were useless.

Last edited:
I bought a golf cart for my camp grounds and had planned on using it extenxively but every time I go up there I get called to do a fishing charter and spend all day on the lake. By the time I get back to the camp ground all I can do is make it to bed. Put fishing in a request and it is realy hard for me to say no. Oh well i may use it some time.

/——/ It had nothing to do with being an oil lover. What an asinine statement. We have an infrastructure of gasoline supplies all over the world that took 100 years to build. The range of a gasoline or diesel car is unlimited. Electrics are fine for local travel but the lack of charging stations and the long recharge time makes them impractical. Maybe in 25 years. You big dope.

BTW, in California when the power was cut to stop the fires, all the “electric lovers” cars were useless.

Except those with the newer or the upgraded homes and buildings that had solar power. The US is behind on most western countries on the neutral power systems but it's coming. I am seeing it more and more every day in the form of Solar and Wind. For instance, the power here is Hydroelectric with some Natural Gas, Solar and Wind. The Gas and Diesel systems were shut down over 50 years ago and the last Coal fired one was shut down last year within 250 miles or more. Electricity has gone down in cost, not up. Even with the Forest Fires, electric power is rarely interrupted because we have one of the best power grids in the nation. And we also have ample charging stations all along the Interstate Systems for fast charging of Electric Vehicles already in place. You can drive the entire length of the state (about 400 miles) with one 30 minute lunch stop for a charge in a day easy. That means I can drive from Grand Junction to Denver non stop for a business trip, do my business, spend the night while I recharge the EV and head back the next morning non stop. The claimed range of the EV is right around 400 miles but the real range is about 300 at highway speed. But Business people don't do this. Their time is more important. They take a vehicle to the Airport, park it there, fly that 250 miles, rent a vehicle, do their business and then fly back the same day.

Forum List

Back