Mexican to be executed in Texas

US court won't stop execution of Mexican | News.com.au

US court won't stop execution of Mexican

A US federal appeals court is refusing to halt the execution of a Mexican national convicted of killing a Houston police officer, despite diplomatic pressure and pleas from the Mexican government.

#####

Not what I'd be doing.

If I were an American citizen I'd be staying out of Mexico...as IMO there will be a lot of angry people there after this.

Like when Indonesia execution-homicides Aussie boys Chan and Sukumaran, the hatred of Indonesia will be white-hot among many people in Australia.

Can you imagine that?

American court standing up for American sovereignty.

Hooray!

In Medellin vs. Texas (2008), the International Court of Justice ruled that Texas could not execute a convicted murderer. The Supreme Court ruled that decisions of the International Court of Justice are not binding domestic law. The vote was 6 to 3 (Souter, Breyer, Ginsburg).

Maybe so...but it won't surprise me if some innocent Americans pay dearly for the federal court's refusal to halt the execution.

The Mexican govt is basically begging, as Australia begged Singapore not to execute Aussie Nguyen..."our sovereign nation, our laws" they said. Even the Pope was begging.
Singapore hanged him anyway.
Some years passed, then Singapore Inc wanted to do some large business deal in Australia...and the Australian govt said a big "NO"!
Many people cheered. Many people.

Anyway, it's about time Texas and the other US DP states put bulldozers thru their death chambers.
They're supposed to be civilised.

Innocent Americans are murdered in the US every day by illegal aliens. I do agree though. I never travel to Mexico anymore. It is a shithole not worth visiting.

One would think Jews would be the last people cheering for death chambers and the cold-blooded killing in them by the state.

Why would that be genus? The guy murdered a police officer.....Comprendí?

That's not the point.
The point is, the actions of the federal court, and the actions of the govt of Texas.

700+ people on death row in CA.
Some Mexican nationals I believe.

Mexicans on death row: A denial of rights - Los Angeles Times

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr. is scheduled to be executed Thursday in Texas.

He is not a sympathetic figure — he was convicted of bludgeoning a 16-year-old girl to death with a piece of asphalt after raping her — and his gruesome crime is in many ways similar to those of dozens of other death-row inmates across the country. But here's what is different: He is a Mexican citizen, and when he was arrested in 1994, he was never told that under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, he was entitled to ask the Mexican consulate for help. By the time he found out, he was sitting in a cell on death row. etc.

Some suggest that the court-appointed attorneys weren't up to the task (one has since been suspended twice in connection with other cases). And Leal's current defense team, paid for by the Mexican government, says that DNA evidence used in the original case was botched. The lawyers are asking for a new test they say will prove Leal never raped the girl.

Leal's current appeal isn't about whether the death penalty ought to be abolished. It's not even about whether he committed the crime for which he was convicted. Rather, it is a test of the United States' willingness to afford foreign nationals accused of crimes in this country the same protections it demands for Americans when they are arrested and accused overseas.

Last edited:

Both the court and Congress have an opportunity to right a wrong.
They ought to seize it and ensure that the United States meets its international obligation. Doing so will protect American citizens abroad from being made to pay the price for others' mistakes.

#####

I'd be careful just exactly what I'm clapping for, if I were an American citizen.
Especially if I or mine were at any time going to travel overseas.

One would think Jews would be the last people cheering for death chambers and the cold-blooded killing in them by the state.

That's not the point.
The point is, the actions of the federal court, and the actions of the govt of Texas.

He is not a sympathetic figure — he was convicted of bludgeoning a 16-year-old girl to death with a piece of asphalt after raping her — and his gruesome crime is in many ways similar to those of dozens of other death-row inmates across the country. But here's what is different: He is a Mexican citizen, and when he was arrested in 1994, he was never told that under the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, he was entitled to ask the Mexican consulate for help. By the time he found out, he was sitting in a cell on death row. etc.

Some suggest that the court-appointed attorneys weren't up to the task (one has since been suspended twice in connection with other cases). And Leal's current defense team, paid for by the Mexican government, says that DNA evidence used in the original case was botched. The lawyers are asking for a new test they say will prove Leal never raped the girl.

Leal's current appeal isn't about whether the death penalty ought to be abolished. It's not even about whether he committed the crime for which he was convicted. Rather, it is a test of the United States' willingness to afford foreign nationals accused of crimes in this country the same protections it demands for Americans when they are arrested and accused overseas.

Cry me a river.. He should have more rights than an American citizen?....He rapped and beat to death a 16 years old girl.... I'd be happy to pull the lever myself

No sympathy...sentence should be life in prison no parole.

Death chambers are evil.
Why would you support the state's killing human beings in death chambers?
Why should the U.S. tax payer be forced to pay to warehouse convicted murderers at $60,000 each per year for as long as they live? ... :doubt:

The cost is about $35,000 per year, and in the end it costs more to execute a convicted killer than it does to incarcerate them for the rest of their lives. I have mixed emotions when it comes to the death penalty. I know, without a doubt, that minorities receive the death penalty much more than whites, based on all things being equal, and I am pretty certain we've executed at least a few innocent people over the years. Despite that, I do believe some people really do deserve the death penalty.

That's not the point.

Cry me a river.. He should have more rights than an American citizen?....He rapped and beat to death a 16 years old girl.... I'd be happy to pull the lever myself

Just because he was convicted doesn't mean he was guilty.

Last edited:
US court won't stop execution of Mexican | News.com.au

US court won't stop execution of Mexican

A US federal appeals court is refusing to halt the execution of a Mexican national convicted of killing a Houston police officer, despite diplomatic pressure and pleas from the Mexican government.

#####

Not what I'd be doing.

If I were an American citizen I'd be staying out of Mexico...as IMO there will be a lot of angry people there after this.

Like when Indonesia execution-homicides Aussie boys Chan and Sukumaran, the hatred of Indonesia will be white-hot among many people in Australia.

Can you imagine that?

American court standing up for American sovereignty.

Hooray!

In Medellin vs. Texas (2008), the International Court of Justice ruled that Texas could not execute a convicted murderer. The Supreme Court ruled that decisions of the International Court of Justice are not binding domestic law. The vote was 6 to 3 (Souter, Breyer, Ginsburg).

W bush was on the side of the international court on that one btw

The Court also rejected Medellín's argument that the President's February 28, 2005 Memorandum was binding on state courts. The Court relied on Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer, 343 U. S. 579 (1952), recognizing that "plainly compelling interests" were at stake in the Medellín case. Yet:
Such considerations, however, do not allow us to set aside first principles. The President's authority to act, as with the exercise of any governmental power, 'must stem either from an act of Congress or from the Constitution itself.'[29]
The majority concluded that neither condition had been met. Neither the government nor the defendant had cited any statutory authority which authorized the President to act. Instead, the President claimed that the Optional Protocol and U.N. Charter implicitly gave him the authority to act. The Court disagreed: "The President has an array of political and diplomatic means available to enforce international obligations, but unilaterally converting a non-self-executing treaty into a self-executing one is not among them."[30] The President also claimed that Congress had acquiesced in the exercise of presidential power by failing to act following the resolution of prior ICJ controversies. But, Roberts held, "A review of the Executive's actions in those prior cases, however, cannot support the claim that Congress acquiesced in this particular exercise of Presidential authority, for none of them remotely involved transforming an international obligation into domestic law and thereby displacing state law."[31] The President also founded his action on "related" statutory responsibilities and an "established role" in litigating foreign policy concerns. But none of the examples cited in the government's brief supported that conclusion, the majority ruled, and none of the examples remotely indicated that the President may pre-empt state law.[32]

Medellín v. Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He killed a COP IN TEXAS in 1994.

1994. He's beyond lucky he's still alive.

The Mexicans have had 20 years to get their cop killer back. Time's up. Sorry. Them's the breaks in the big league.

"I'm from Texas and in Texas we have the death penalty and we use it. That's right, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. That's our policy."
--Ron White

"There is a piece of legislation floating around where if two people are witnesses to any murder you commit, you get executed right away. That means that if there are at least two credible eyewitnesses to a murder you committed, you don't wait on Death Row for 15 years, Jack! You go straight to the front of the line! Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state's putting in the express lane".--Ron White

The Lasting Effects of Humberto Leal Garcia's Execution - The Wire

The Lasting Effects of Humberto Leal Garcia's Execution

When the State of Texas executed Humberto Leal Garcia Jr. last night, it entered the United States into an international incident. The United Nations' top human rights official has said the execution broke international law, and within the United States the lethal injection created a sharp controversy that ended in the Supreme Court approving the move over the objection of the president.
Leal was a Mexican citizen, and the International Court of Justice in 2004 found that he, along with 50 other inmates, hadn't been treated according to the Vienna Convention of Treaties because officials arresting them hadn't informed them of their right to contact their consulates.

It's a stern truth about Texas that the state executes more inmates most years than any other in the nation, but this was its most closely watched in years.
Now it's time to figure out what the impact will be for U.S. citizens, U.S. foreign relations, the International Court of Justice, and the political futures of those involved.
A tangling of jurisdictions: This case has states' rights rubbing up against federal oversight, with an international body chiming in. Basically, the way the hierarchy of enforcement works is this: The state of Texas gets to decide whether or not to execute a criminal, and the U.S. Supreme Court is the only federal entity that can tell it not to, but only on constitutional grounds.
In this case, the International Court of Justice weighed in on the decision as well, saying Mexico was right when it charged the United States had violated the Vienna Convention.
But the International Court of Justice relies on the U.N. Security Council for its enforcement, and that's where it becomes a problem. The Security Council can't take action against one of its five permanent members, which include the United States, so it doesn't really have a say here, aside from making a suggestion. But the U.S. was moving to comply with the court's decision, albeit very slowly.
The Atlantic's Andrew Cohen pointed out today that Congress had been working on a bill to "expressly adopt consular rights," to supplement the requirement of the Vienna Convention, and that the Supreme Court's decision flew in the face of that effort.

#####

The women cried...see photo.
All executions are are more cold blooded killing.
More victims.

She points out Americans' overwhelming support for giving murderers the death penalty, and notes, "in Perry's home state, bowing to the pressures of a Democratic administration, an international court or a foreign government would actually be worse than executing even an innocent man."

#####

Well there you go.
The lust for death chambers and state killings knows no bounds.
Sad really.

Last edited:

He'll be made a 'martyr' in Mexico.

maybe

suppose they will make martyrs of the 400 dead Mexicans

victims of obamas botched fast n furious illegal gun running program

Maybe.

I can only go by what's gonna happen in Australia when Muslim Indonesia execution-shreds Aussie boys Chan and Sukumaran "Defiance, our sovereign nation, our laws, butt out on death penalty", Andrew Chan now a Christian, mentored by The Salvation Army.
Both are guilty, but it will make no difference to the hate that will follow.

Neither guilt nor self-righteousness can be instilled into people who don't feel it. Senses of morality and justice are not monolithic. To me and many others, executing those guilty of horrific crimes is both moral and just. Many of us do not seek guidance on these matters. That's just the way it is.

It's estimated that China executes 10,000 criminals per year and nobody says jack.

But they don't have a bunch of liberals crying about the 'rights' of killers and calling them victims. ... :cool:

Forum List

Back