Kid who put noose on statue of black man gets 6 months in prison

ChrisL, you keep missing that the noose was aimed at a minority that would take it as a threat. That was not an effigy, it was a deliberate threat. Give him a year now, the more I think about it.

And all who disagree have to go to 40 hours of re-education training at the nearest FEMA Wal-mart camp.

I certainly hope you are joking. Perhaps a bit frustrated because you realize that you don't really have a valid argument for putting this silly boy in prison for 6 months and possibly ruining his entire future.

ChrisL, you keep missing that the noose was aimed at a minority that would take it as a threat. That was not an effigy, it was a deliberate threat. Give him a year now, the more I think about it.

And all who disagree have to go to 40 hours of re-education training at the nearest FEMA Wal-mart camp.

You can't FORCE people to like you or to agree with you, or use the law to do so. That is very wrong.

Besides the fact that stupid kids like this are much more useful being put to work doing community service. Make him clean up graffiti or trash or something for 6 months as community service. Cities are claiming they are broke, well, there you go! Free labor and a valuable lesson taught, I think.
Or nothing at all. Free speech cannot be criminally prosecuted. That judge needs to go to jail for civil rights violations.

No, they can prosecute him for defacing public property for sure. But in no WAY does the punishment fit the crime here, IMO. Unless of course the boy has a record.
A noose doesn't deface public property though. It was slipped on and it can be slipped off. No crime has been committed.
Apparently it has because he was convicted of one.

A misdemeanor. It is certainly nothing worth 6 months in prison. That is retarded.
I suspect he is being made an example of what not to do so that this type of behavior is not repeated. Explain how you would feel if you were a college coed and walking around campus saw statues or drawings of young women with nooses around their necks. Don't you think that would be a threatening vision? And if young men were allowed to repeatedly put nooses around the necks of pictures or statues of young women, what would that say--that it is okay to create threatening and intimidating imagery toward young college coeds, on the very campus where they live and go to school?

One problem people have with understanding a situation is that they are completely unable to put themselves in that situation but only look on it as a problem for the other person, and see that person as overreacting. The fact is, if this kid is not made an example of what not to do, his actions will be repeated around the campus and farther afield. It amounts to terrorism, instilling fear in a group you don't like.

Explain how you would feel if you were a college coed and walking around campus saw statues or drawings of young women with nooses around their necks. .

I wouldn't like that at all but so what? It should not be a crime to merely offend someone. THINK

That is no more of a "threat" than the picture I posted above of GWB effigy. Same thing.
Nope, you are wrong. And since when did you start dating shootsspeeders?

That is no more of a "threat" than the picture I posted above of GWB effigy. Same thing.

What am I wrong about first of all? Secondly, grow up!!! Good god, I really feel like I'm in grade school around here sometimes! You are like a 40 or 50 year old man, no?

What am I wrong about first of all? Secondly, grow up!!! Good god, I really feel like I'm in grade school around here sometimes! You are like a 40 or 50 year old man, no?
How about that. And you are still wrong. The man committed a threat to a designated group, which is a crime. An effigy of George W. Bush is not. If you don't get, go find a statue like that and hang a noose from it. Your stubborness is immaterial.

How about that. And you are still wrong. The man committed a threat to a designated group, which is a crime. An effigy of George W. Bush is not. If you don't get, go find a statue like that and hang a noose from it. Your stubborness is immaterial.

People make "threats" all the time. Did you happen to miss my video about the NBP leader's rant? Was he hunted down and arrested and sentenced to a 6-month prison sentence? It is ridiculous and just another sign of the government getting out of control.

Burning a flag is free speech so why isn't this?

Former Student Who Put Noose on Ole Miss Statue of James Meredith Get 6 Months in Prison

sep 20 2015 A former University of Mississippi student who admitted helping place a noose on a statue of a civil rights activist is going to prison.

WTVA-TV (WTVA.com | Jail time in James Meredith statue desecration) reports a federal judge sentenced Graeme Phillip Harris to six months in prison beginning Jan. 4. During the Thursday hearing in Oxford, he also ordered Harris to serve 12 months' supervised release. Harris' lawyer argued he didn't deserve jail time.

Harris pleaded guilty in June to a misdemeanor charge of using a threat of force to intimidate African-American students and employees

Hope they enjoy their daily black foot long in jail!!!

Huh? The black guy with a rope over his neck is an illegal threat against a designated group and the white guy with a rope is not?

So not only are you a racist, but you are also a hypocrite. Got it.

People make "threats" all the time. Did you happen to miss my video about the NBP leader's rant? Was he hunted down and arrested and sentenced to a 6-month prison sentence? It is ridiculous and just another sign of the government getting out of control.
But Jake is apparently black and demands to be treated as superior to all other groups with special protections, rights, immunities, welfare, etc.

You are ridiculous to think that you can judge the law as to what is wrong or wrong. You can have an opinion, which is not worth anything other than you feel. Who care?

Huh? The black guy with a rope over his neck is an illegal threat against a designated group and the white guy with a rope is not?

One is a threat against a designated group, and is meant as such, and the other is not. You are racist if you can't understand that, and a hypocrite as well. That's your problem, not mine or the law.

One is a threat against a designate group, and is meant as such, and the other is not. You are racist if you can't understand that, and a hypocrite as well. That's your problem, not mine or the law.
Why is a white guy not a designated group and a black guy is a designated group?

What do white people have to do to become a designated group like black folk?

One is a threat against a designate group, and is meant as such, and the other is not. You are racist if you can't understand that, and a hypocrite as well. That's your problem, not mine or the law.
Why is a white guy not a designated group and a black guy is a designated group?
:lol:
You are simply being immorally stubborn. You know the law, you don't like it, and I suggest you make yourself a test case of the law.

You are simply being immorally stubborn. You know the law, you don't like it, and I suggest you make yourself a test case of the law.
Yes, I do know the law. You are wrong. Hate crimes based on race are illegal period. Black/White/Hispanic/Asian/... does not matter.

Immorally stubborn? Did you make that up? :D

Forum List

Back