Join a Union - be strong

The working man should have a seat at the table. Capital is expert at exploiting division. Which is why jobs go to China.
The fascists are now trying to make striking illegal for rail workers.

If the rails are owned by the taxpayers, why should the unions be allowed to muscle these folks?

After all, little old ladies paying their taxes, having to eat cat food so they will have enough money when the tax bill is due, aren't tycoons.

Sure, unions should be able to strike against industrial operators like HC Frick who are willing and able to stand up to them. But the idea of public unions trying to screw the people, I disagree.

If the rails are owned by the taxpayers, why should the unions be allowed to muscle these folks?

After all, little old ladies paying their taxes, having to eat cat food so they will have enough money when the tax bill is due, aren't tycoons.

Sure, unions should be able to strike against industrial operators like HC Frick who are willing and able to stand up to them. But the idea of public unions trying to screw the people, I disagree.

It is the down side of public unions. The actual people who care about the money, are not in the room when wages are being negiotated.

Why would they? They didn't provide that money.

Investors and customers are entitled to more of a say in how the company is run because they supply the capital and the revenue.

Workers are compensated for their work by the salaries and benefits they receive.
They would in this system. Corbyn was going to bring in a new law which demanded that anyone who was going to sell their business had to give the first chance to buy to the workers. The Government would have provided the Capital for them to do so and they would be expected to pay that back.

They would in the system. Corbyn was going to bring in a new law which demanded that anyone who was going to sell their business had to give the first chance to buy to the workers.

There is no law in America, nor any in the UK of which I'm aware, that prevents any worker or consortium of workers from making a bid to buy their own company.

First bid doesn't count, only the last bid means anything.

I worked for a company and was in the union for a couple years, other than paying my dues, they did not do anything for me. The wages were just the same as a non-union company except the non-union company didn't pay dues. My wife worked in a union grocery store however her department wasn't union and when they came around and wanted the department to join, the union rep said he didn't blame them for not joining because the benefits and wages we a tad better for a non-union employee. My dad worked with a union for 20 years at least and he didn't like that they protect the lazy and unproductive employees. My father believed in working hard and being on time. My son just started working in a union job and likes it.

That is about all I know about unions, I don't see the value, however I have always worked well in management.

Basically yes, but that is a right of the employer to decide how much their employees get.
I don't agree it is a right. Now if Employers acted responsibly they might do that but given they do not working men and women need Unions. Of course at the moment the Government when it sees fit puts in a minimum wage which is not always a living wage. At the moment our heating bills and food are going up enormously which is why the railway workers are on strike as they are working for less in real time. The Government and the Bank of England are determined that workers will not get a wage increase. Does the Government stop all of these Employers making a big profit. No it does not. Does it carry the same thing on with landlords and tell them they can't put up rents. No they do not. Now English people are going to have to put up with a massive rise in the cost of food, heating and having a roof over their heads, but they and they alone will not see any more money coming in, as far as this Government is concerned.

Now English people are going to have to put up with a massive rise in the cost of food, heating and having a roof over their heads, but they and they alone will not see any more money coming in

Sounds like The English People should have done better in school and got better jobs.

Its a conservative tactic to try and pit one set of workers against others.

If the work these guys do is so important to the economy they should be paid more. How complicated is that ?

Society needs a reset.

BTW the last rail strike was in 1989. They are hardly militant.

I don't agree it is a right. Now if Employers acted responsibly they might do that but given they do not working men and women need Unions. Of course at the moment the Government when it sees fit puts in a minimum wage which is not always a living wage. At the moment our heating bills and food are going up enormously which is why the railway workers are on strike as they are working for less in real time. The Government and the Bank of England are determined that workers will not get a wage increase. Does the Government stop all of these Employers making a big profit. No it does not. Does it carry the same thing on with landlords and tell them they can't put up rents. No they do not. Now English people are going to have to put up with a massive rise in the cost of food, heating and having a roof over their heads, but they and they alone will not see any more money coming in, as far as this Government is concerned.
Well, if the only explanation of their demands is rising the prices around, then it can cause an inflation spiral. The same will demand utility workers, pilots, health workers, teachers and so on. This will cause employers to raise the prices of their services. And so on.

Well, if the only explanation of their demands is rising the prices around, then it can cause an inflation spiral. The same will demand utility workers, pilots, health workers, teachers and so on. This will cause employers to raise the prices of their services. And so on.
Teachers cant raise their prices. Nor soldiers,policemen and other public servants. Think about it for a moment.

Forum List

Back