John Wayne's America

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
This subject came up on another thread (albeit off-topic) and it deserves it's own thread.

In 2017 both Left and Right, Democrat and Republican, offer what they believe America should be. Most Americans don't agree with those visions which explains why so many Americans think we're headed in the wrong direction (26% Satisfied vs. 72% Dissatisfied), why they chose to elect Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton (rather vote for an unknown than more of the same crap). IMHO, one reason for the dissatisfaction is because both parties continue to market fear over hope, authoritarianism over freedom. President Obama was elected on a promise of "Hope and Change" but allowed the Democrats to jam (and try to jam) programs down the throats of Americans "for their own good" whether they liked them or not. Even though it's been less than 2 weeks, it doesn't appear Trump will do much better even though I think he's better than Hillary.

IMO, the America most voters want is the one envisioned in John Wayne's 1973 " "America, Why I Love Her" album. Yes, it's a lot of rah-rah, but as the words in the text link below prove, it really is what our nation should be. Not fearful or oppressive, but in Ronald Reagan's words, a "'shining city upon a hill." Compared to the current vision of the Republican America, much less Trump's America or the Democrat's America, I prefer John Wayne's America. IMHO, it's where I think most Americans want to be.

Text: The Pledge of Allegiance Lyrics - John Wayne
"Whose bright stars are fifty states...each bearing its own stamp of individuality. People...two hundred million strong...people who have come to her from all corners of the earth....A land of laws...with an ingenious system of checks and balances that allows no man to become a tyrant...and lets no group prevail...if their power is not tempered with a real concern for the governed...A land where the right of dissent and of free speech is jealously guarded...where the ballot box is the sword...and the people its wielder....A land where freedom of worship is a cornerstone of her being...A land graced with temples and churches, synagogues and altars that rise in profusion to embrace all the religions of the world....A land forged by the hot steel of raw courage...and formed forever...by the awful crucible of civil war....Where man in pursuit of an honest life will not be denied his chance...where her citizens move freely within her vast borders without hindrance or fear...A land brimming with opportunity...where freedom of choice is the guide for all.....The courts of our land are open to all. Its wheels of justice grind for all causes...all people. They look to every avenue for justice...every concern of the law...and they temper their reasoning with mercy..."

A minority elected Trump with all time low.

He is the first president to fall in popularity since elected.

He is not the answer, dw.

I heard John Wayne had 40 pounds of impacted crap in his colon when he died. He sure walked funny, so it must have either been that, or all that gay sex.

We have alt-facts, alt-right, and now alt-memories....... Wayne was a fun actor, nothing more.

Who can name the four movies in which his character was killed?

Man, you are good! I have know the answers for years. How long did you have to think about the question?

A minority voted for Hillary. I fail to see how your point applies to voters being unhappy with the status quo and the direction of our nation.

ukn1hy0r_02vs-asb7b8uw.png

I heard John Wayne had 40 pounds of impacted crap in his colon when he died. He sure walked funny, so it must have either been that, or all that gay sex.
Nice derail. You, sir, are part of the reason why we have President Trump instead of President Webb.

The Shootist. In The Man who shot...... he was already dead at the beginning of the movie.
Yeah, I just took the ending in that he was dead. I would concede on that one.
There's a difference between being killed and dying. He was dying in "The Shootist", but as Dr. Jimmy recommended, it wasn't a pleasant way to go, so he chose to find a way to be killed. He was killed at the end of the movie in a shootout, so it fits the question asked.

View attachment 110040
Funny but also sad. What is sadder that not a single Liberal posting on this page agrees with the idea that we should "embrace all the religions of the world" or, where justice is concerned, Americans should "temper their reasoning with mercy". Just more evidence they are hypocrites and not worthy of elected office.

View attachment 110040
Funny but also sad. What is sadder that not a single Liberal posting on this page agrees with the idea that we should "embrace all the religions of the world" or, where justice is concerned, Americans should "temper their reasoning with mercy". Just more evidence they are hypocrites and not worthy of elected office.
Of course not. It's Islam above all others with the left.

View attachment 110040
Of course not. It's Islam above all others with the left.
Funny, but disagreed. For the most part, I think it's atheism against everything else. If anything, they are simply using Islam as a wedge between Christians and Jews. From the posts of some RWers on this forum, it's working.

Forum List

Back