Joel Osteen

When Jesus called priests "Sons of vipers, and hypocrites", he was trying to keep the sheep from walking into the slaughter house.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH JOEL OSTEEN? » PhilipWagner.com

Excellent article, and makes a point that I have been making over and over for the past many years.

He is a motivational speaker. My pastor friend watched him and he never once opened the Bible.

More people would speak out about him but these ministries are run like corporations and they have lawyers who would take everything you've got from you.

I like him and may start watching him regularly. I am more interested in his missive, than his background.

Everything I have read so far definitely has me interested.

Sunni Man said:
Joel Osteen is one of the 'New Age' type of inspirational preachers. Lots of pop psychology with just a smidgen of Bible teaching in order to qualify as a church. .

Reply:
He may very well be - like I said, I know very little about him and wasn't impressed by the one thing I did hear. But - the point of the article Boop posted seemed to be directed toward HOW some Christians give their opinions about others. Osteen was definitely the person being discussed, but I thought the comments could be applied to many situations.

That is what I thought was helpful and worth consideration.

K.

Muahaha. It's working just as I planned.

Saw that pic and couldn't help myself lol.

Arrogance is hard to see in the mirror.

I don’t know that those who have spoken from arrogance would apologize or recognize their error – but I’m hoping that you, the reader, will be more aware of what is appropriate and Christ-like.

Christians – Please!! Don’t follow this example and criticize publically those ministers whose methods you don’t agree with or understand.

Leaders – this has got to stop. Please, Please – it’s NOT your job to judge everyone publically.

Let’s encourage each other, let’s pray for one another and teach those you influence to have more grace.

It is difficult enough to be a minister because of the challenges we face – the spiritual warfare we encounter! We don’t need our own Christian brothers needlessly attacking.

We need to preach about what we are FOR not what we are AGAINST.

Excellent article, and makes a point that I have been making over and over for the past many years.

Joel Olsteen will be a famous false prophet like Billy Graham was. False prophets are antichrists who use the words written or spoken by us true saints for their own selfish purpose to control other sinners and make good livings off of their followers contributions.

All us true saints who preached the true gospel ( the voice of God ) were made homeless with only food, clothing and a safe place to sleep promissed to us by our Creator. We can't be preaching against the false gods of religious people and worship them ourselves. That would make us hypocrites.

When Jesus called priests "Sons of vipers, and hypocrites", he was trying to keep the sheep from walking into the slaughter house.
There were No 'priests' when Jesus walked the earth.

He was referring to corrupt jewish Rabbi's. . :cool:

The true saints were referring to the antichrists who use our testimonies for their own selfish benefit to gather a following and make money off of them. We saints are made homeless and only promissed food, clothing and a safe place to sleep at nights while walking around being a testimony to the true Christ, which is our created existence in God.

Arrogance is hard to see in the mirror.

I don’t know that those who have spoken from arrogance would apologize or recognize their error – but I’m hoping that you, the reader, will be more aware of what is appropriate and Christ-like.

Christians – Please!! Don’t follow this example and criticize publically those ministers whose methods you don’t agree with or understand.

Leaders – this has got to stop. Please, Please – it’s NOT your job to judge everyone publically.

Let’s encourage each other, let’s pray for one another and teach those you influence to have more grace.

It is difficult enough to be a minister because of the challenges we face – the spiritual warfare we encounter! We don’t need our own Christian brothers needlessly attacking.

We need to preach about what we are FOR not what we are AGAINST.

Christians, publicly scream from the top of your lungs. False preachers have the capability of losing thousands on thousands of souls.

Here is how they do it:
Romans 16:17-18
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

This is why they are so prevalent:
2 Timothy 4:3-4
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

This is how you discern:
1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

How to test:
2 John 1:7
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

John 7:24
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

^ Not judging the man but using righteous judgement< scripture, to recognize false doctrine, or scripture that has been added to or taken away from, exposes a false teacher.

And what to do when you hear one:
Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

2 John 1:10-11
If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

Our role:
Ephesians 5:11
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

And you had better know your Bible when you do it, because I guarantee you, they do. Pray for discernment. You'll get it in abundance :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Joel Osteen was born in Texas and has an estimated net worth of $40 million dollars. A pastor, author, and televangelist, Joel Osteen is the pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. He took over his father's role as a pastor and televangelist, despite having very little formal religious training, in 1999. Since then, the Lakewood Church broadcast has grown exponentially and can be seen in 100 different countries.

Joel Osteen Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

He hasn't drawn a salary from his ministry, or his church, in years. All his income comes from his writing. Since the core of his message is that God does not want people to be poor, something for which there is significant evidence in the Scripture, I see no reason to criticize him for being rich.

The Bakkers, on the other hand, drew a salary, and used the ministry to support their expensive lifestyle while preaching that God wanted people to sacrifice their last dime to support His work.

Defending success and fame: Joel Osteen says he is keeping the faith | PennLive.com

I don't think he's anything like Bakker. He doesn't ask for money on TV, he doesn't accept a salary from his church.

He has six books, which continue to sell well, and he's made investments.

He gives millions to charity, and he doesn't live a celebrity lifestyle.

Frankly, I think he's one of the good guys, and I think he is being blessed.

God is good to His people, but “my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked” (Ps 73:2-3.)

This is really interesting. He says that “almost stumbled”… his “steps had nearly slipped.” This makes it sound like he almost sinned… but didn’t. Yet, at the same time, we are told that he did fall into sin. He became “envious” of the arrogant and the wicked. He coveted the prosperity of the wicked… and covetousness is a sin (Exodus 20:17.) He saw what they had and he wanted it for himself. This is sin. It is failing to be content with what God has given us.
Why Do the Wicked Prosper While God?s People Suffer??? ? Psalm 73 | Ramblin' Pastor Man

We recently hosted Hank Hanegraaff (The Bible Answerman) at SMCC. He has some very helpful insights (here and here) into Joel Osteen's confused views of faith, doctrine and Scripture:

Joel Osteen and Prosperity Gospel

The Prosperity Gospel is much like all other religions in that it uses faith, it uses doing good things to leverage material blessings from God. Essentially, use God to get things from God.

"God has already done everything He's going to do. The ball is now in your court. If you want success, if you want wisdom, if you want to be prosperous and healthy, you're going to have to do more than meditate and believe; you must boldly declare words of faith and victory over yourself and your family" From Your Best Life Now, p.132

"If you are believing for your child to find God, go help somebody else's child to develop a relationship with God. If you're struggling financially, go out and help somebody who has less than you have ... f you want to reap financial blessings, you must sow financial seeds in the lives of others ... If you want to see healing and restoration come to your life, go out and help somebody else get well" From Your Best Life Now, pp. 224, 250-51

This is not the Gospel. This is a false Gospel. Joel teaches that we open ourselves to God to get more from God. He teaches that we use our words to speak into existence a better reality. This straight from the Word of Faith Movement. This is not what is taught throughout the New Testament. Consider what the Apostle Paul wrote. And remember that he wrote this while in prison.

Philippians 4:10-13 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
The False Promise of the Prosperity Gospel: Why I Called Out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer | Pastor Rick Henderson

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRue4nwJaA"]John Piper - Why I abominate the prosperity gospel - YouTube[/ame]

This particular thread isn't the place to get into it, but if you want to know why you are wrong, feel free to start a thread, let me know about it, and prepare to be taught why God doesn't want everyone to be poor.

Joel Osteen was born in Texas and has an estimated net worth of $40 million dollars. A pastor, author, and televangelist, Joel Osteen is the pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. He took over his father's role as a pastor and televangelist, despite having very little formal religious training, in 1999. Since then, the Lakewood Church broadcast has grown exponentially and can be seen in 100 different countries.

Joel Osteen Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

He hasn't drawn a salary from his ministry, or his church, in years. All his income comes from his writing. Since the core of his message is that God does not want people to be poor, something for which there is significant evidence in the Scripture, I see no reason to criticize him for being rich.

The Bakkers, on the other hand, drew a salary, and used the ministry to support their expensive lifestyle while preaching that God wanted people to sacrifice their last dime to support His work.

And he saves, and apparently invests wisely.

I'm not going to appoint him a saint or anything. I just think he maybe has a snowball's chance of drawing me back into the fold.

edited to add; he is very specific. He is not just talking about wealth, money. He is talking about mental, emotional, spiritually-fed, having ALL your needs met through Christ, not just 'blab it and grab it, name it and claim it' b.s.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back