Zone1 It's December. Non-Believers, Put Your Kvetching Here:

All the complaining about how Jesus was born in March, the Christmas tree is pagan and idolatry, half our traditions came from Yule and Solstice....whatever makes you feel better. I'm convinced you do this because 11 months of the year you all hate on Christianity, so then feel guilty taking part in the celebrations in December. You reconcile this by telling yourself it's "not really Christian".

Here's a little tip from Christians: celebrate it or not, we don't care. We don't generally go to Christmas events and grill people as to whether they're REALLY celebrating the Birth of Christ or just partaking in general merry-making. It's fine. Either way. It's fine.

But how about refrain from the REALLY impolite act of telling religious believers that the way they celebrate their holiday is wrong. Or if you can't refrain, kindly start doing that to Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Wiccans, etc too. We can't wait to see how THAT goes.

But if you really CANNOT refrain: just put all the usual December kvetching here. Also, all USMB members, when they start the kvetching in other threads, just refer them to this one. The general unbelievers December complaint thread.
The Jesus of the NT was born right before Sukkot.

Totally agree! You also can’t teach history without religion. Absolutely agree on the cultural appropriation bit. My beef with that is that almost everything could be construed as cultural appropriation….music, cuisine, etc is all built upon earlier traditions and contributions that were used to create something new.
History books address this, noting all cultural diffusion that was taking place down through the centuries. I still wonder what unhappy group pounced on these age old events in the effort to turn something that has been very positive and claim it is horrifying.

All the complaining about how Jesus was born in March, the Christmas tree is pagan and idolatry, half our traditions came from Yule and Solstice....whatever makes you feel better. I'm convinced you do this because 11 months of the year you all hate on Christianity, so then feel guilty taking part in the celebrations in December. You reconcile this by telling yourself it's "not really Christian".

Here's a little tip from Christians: celebrate it or not, we don't care. We don't generally go to Christmas events and grill people as to whether they're REALLY celebrating the Birth of Christ or just partaking in general merry-making. It's fine. Either way. It's fine.

But how about refrain from the REALLY impolite act of telling religious believers that the way they celebrate their holiday is wrong. Or if you can't refrain, kindly start doing that to Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Wiccans, etc too. We can't wait to see how THAT goes.

But if you really CANNOT refrain: just put all the usual December kvetching here. Also, all USMB members, when they start the kvetching in other threads, just refer them to this one. The general unbelievers December complaint thread.
Yes, most conservatives are truly this ignorant.

Ancient peoples celebrated the Winter Solstice millennia before the advent of Christianity.

Indeed, Winter Solstice celebrations were misappropriated by Christians in an effort to foment their recently invented religion.

You’re the new kids on the block.

Ancient peoples celebrated the Winter Solstice millennia before the advent of Christianity.

Indeed, Winter Solstice celebrations were misappropriated by Christians in an effort to foment their recently invented religion.

Are you challenging her historical claims that Christmas was started by Jesus found in Luke 2:10?

And behold the angel of the Lord bowed down to the Christ child as they both celebrated the birthday of Santa Clause. Luke 2:10

Last edited:
Nothing was "misappropriated" or even "appropriated". There was simply something more worthwhile to celebrate.

Why don't you ask me if I know about Winter Solstice and when it was largely and widely celebrated rather than assume I'm ignorant about it?

Why don't you ask me about my background knowledge and how that contributes to my understanding here?

Oh wait, better to just denigrate entire swaths of people.

Why don't you ask me if I know about Winter Solstice and when it was largely and widely celebrated rather than assume I'm ignorant about it?

Why don't you ask me about my background knowledge and how that contributes to my understanding here?

Oh wait, better to just denigrate entire swaths of people.

What was winter solistice? When was it largely celebrated? When was Christmas first practiced in the church? When was Christmas made an official holiday in the United States?

Nobody is assuming your ignorance. They are assuming your omission of knowledge.

Forum List

Back