Zone1 Origins of Christmas

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Does anybody know how Christmas started?

Some say the Christmas is a Christian holiday. I’d love more information about this.

One could write a book.

Basically, nobody knows when the historical personage whom we refer to as "Jesus Christ" was born. When the Romans adopted Christianity, they took their pre-existing feast of the Winter Solstice (Dec 21) and arbitrarily designated it as the "Nativity" - the day when God became Man.

The cultural phenomenon that we celebrate as Christmas has evolved in all Christian cultures, according to their own traditions. It is a fish-mash of different, sometimes contradictory aspects, not to be taken too seriously. The Christmas tree has nothing to do with the Nativity, and the giving of gifts would be more appropriate on the feast of the Epiphany (the "Free Kings," if you will). Santa Clause? Just a fanciful myth that was adopted from one or more European tales.

My own view is that "we" have two separate and distinct holidays on December 25th that should be celebrated separately. First is the Nativity, and second is the cultural holiday of Christmas. Only Christians should celebrate the former, but EVERYONE can celebrate the latter. Which is why Government employees get the day off.

Yes, it is a Christian holiday it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus, the manifestation of Christian principles and values.

Last edited:
The Christian Christmas is a usurpation of the pagan Saturnalia holiday.

This is a common tactic when when religion drives out another another.

Yes, it is a Christian holiday it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus.

There are over a dozen references in the Old Testament to specific dates that are now Jewish holidays. The New Testament only references one holiday which is the Lord’s Day which is the first day of the week on the Jewish Calendar. We know it today as Sunday. The New Testament gives no reference to any other holidays at all.

Well, gee whiz. It reads as though you want to argue about how people organize their religions. They are all faulty, and so are all of the government organizations and corporate organizations.

The next great paradigm for Mankind will be the emergence of a perfect social organization scheme.

The Christian Christmas is a usurpation of the pagan Saturnalia holiday.

This is a common tactic when when religion drives out another another.
Really that common? Can you name a couple of other usurpations of religious celebrations? The Pagans were good people, but just could not compete with the destructive intentions of the Christians.

Well, gee whiz. It reads as though you want to argue about how people organize their religions. They are all faulty, and so are all of the government organizations and corporate organizations.

The next great paradigm for Mankind will be the emergence of a perfect social organization scheme.

There is just a gap in the history of Christians practicing Christmas from the years 400ad through 1869ad. I want someone to fill those gaps in for me.

Really that common? Can you name a couple of other usurpations of religious celebrations?
Have you ever been to South America?
When the Spaniards forced the Incas to adopt Christianity they usurped the Incan complicated religious holiday structure by making all the old Incan Holidays "Saint days" and forced the native to worship Christian Saints instead of their own gods

There is just a gap in the history of Christians practicing Christmas from the years 400ad through 1869ad. I want someone to fill those gaps in for me.
Well, where was that interrogative in your opening discussion?

Some say the Christmas is a Christian holiday. I’d love more information about this.

How did you reach the conclusion that there is a "gap" in the perpetuation of the celebration?

Have you ever been to South America?
When the Spaniards forced the Incas to adopt Christianity they usurped the Incan complicated religious holiday structure by making all the old Incan Holidays "Saint days" and forced the native to worship Christian Saints instead of their own gods
I have never been out of the United States - I am very poor and sheltered.

That's the Christians for you. Can you make up a description for another religion besides the Christians usurping another religion? It should not be that difficult since it is so common.

Christmas started as a celebration of Santa’s Birthday
Every December 25th, the magic elves and Reindeer would gather round to celebrate the birth of the baby Santa.

1670171233958.jpeg

Christmas started as a celebration of Santa’s Birthday
Every December 25th, the magic elves and Reindeer would gather round to celebrate the birth of the baby Santa.

I never heard this version. Thanks for the info. I did hear Miranda Sings’ version of Easter. I’ll post the link in a second.

Forum List

Back