Is "soul sleep" biblical?

Episcopius2 is absolutely correct in his finding of the verses that teach the true doctrine on this subject.​

When Christ layed down his life and before he was resurrected he visited the dead spirits.

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Here we learn that Christ went to the world of spirits and preached the gospel. Among these spirits were those who lived on the earth in the days of Noah who had died and were waiting for the resurrection who were disobedient and were probably destroyed in the flood. I don't think that Christ preached to sleeping spirits. So this is the first evidence that the departed spirits do not sleep until their resurrection.

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

In this verse it is reiterated that Jesus went unto the dead spirits and preached the gospel. Jesus allows those who have died without a knowledge of the gospel to hear it in the spirit world. These verses are another evidence that the spirits of those who are dead are not asleep but are awake and able to hear the gospel to be preached unto them and receive it.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has received further revelation on this subject. Below is a vision given to Joseph F. Smith regarding the preaching of the gospel unto the dead:

Doctrine and Covenant 138

Last edited:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison
These are DEMONS condemned to EARTH, not the imaginary "souls" of dead human beings.

When SATAN led 1/3 of the angels to war against God BEFORE the creation of Man, they were CAST DOWN TO EARTH where they are imprisoned to this day.

I saw Satan fall as lightening to the earth -- Jesus

Satan is the God of this world

Satan is the prince of the power of the air

The CONSISTANT error of the followers of the Catholic Cult and her daughters is your desire to believe that YOU contain an IMMORTAL SOUL that continues when you die. YOU DONT. There is NO HOPE that you will ever live again after death, EXCEPT THE RETURN OF CHRIST and the RESURRECTION of the DEAD.

Last edited:
There is no redemption for the Devil and his angels. The verses quoted in my previous post show that those who lived on the earth in the days of Noah are among the dead who were preached to. Jesus did not go to Satan and his angels to preach the gospel. They are already damned and will be thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone.

Revelation 20:10

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 19:20

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 21:8

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Pardon my confusion here, but is your view that soul sleep is true, and that since the person whose soul is sleeping has no awareness of time, being 'asleep' for 2000 years would be like a blink of an eye? So from their perspective it would be like dying and waking up to be present with God?

Thanks for your thoughts!
I guess one could characterize the transition from life to death and back to life as "sleep" but that term connotes some level of awareness of time and I don't believe we'd have that. For us, when the body dies, our consciousness will seem to never stop. We will simply go from one reality to the next, even if our body had been in the grave for centuries.

The Biblical narrative details how that Satan, in the Old Testament, has not yet been banned or thrown out of heaven yet.

In the Old Testament, Satan has left his first estate, and LEFT His OWN HABITATION in heaven and has chosen to come to earth and he is an adversary { a judge } to the man, that God has created.

As we see throughout the Old Testament that Satan and specific Angels are allowed by God to test individuals here on earth. As we see with Adam and Eve in the Garden and where God even sends - " lying spirits " in the mouths of False Prophets to cause them EVEN LIE MORE than they had previously been lying.

1Ki 22:21 And there came forth a spirit, presenting before the LORD, and said, I will persuade Ahab.

:22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? / HOW ? And THE SPIRIT said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And " the Lord said " You shalt persuade him, and prevail also: GO FORTH, and do so.

:23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

Again - 2Ch_18:21 A Spirit said,
I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And " the Lord said " You shalt persuade him, and prevail also: GO FORTH, and do so.
:22 behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

From the beginning, Satan and other angels were given permission and authority from God to test and manipulate the created humans themselves, to sin. Satan was even allowed to test and tempt Eve, Adam and also Job. - 1Ch_21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and tempt David to number Israel.

The Bible shows that - a holy God can coincide and even be working himself - with and alongside wickedness, evil and perversion.

Jesus Christ himself was among evil men and women, God even used the wicked Romans to fulfill his goal and purpose in the death of his only Son, who was killed by the hands of very wicked men.

Satan also was allowed, by God, to tempt, seduce and bribe Jesus. Satan offered Jesus the control and power of all of the kingdoms of the earth if Jesus would simply bow down and worship him and serve him. Satan was allowed to tempt Jesus to commit suicide by jumping from various high places.

Yet, through all of this,

this was not something that God would prevent Satan and spirits from leaving the earth and existing in other places in the heavens. This is what Satan and other angels had been doing since the beginning.

It was not until God morphed / formed and manifested his Holy Spirit into a man called Jesus who was born from a woman, then we see Satan is very upset, the Angels are very upset....

Then Satan / The Dragon - goes upward into the heavens and calls upon other Angels to make war against God and other non- participating angels themselves, and Satan and HIS angels are cast out and forced down to earth and thrown out of heaven forever.

Revelation 12, it is saying that the war happened because when Christ was born, then the Dragon /
Satan began to attack the woman, Israel, and her seed which was Christ.

:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne. :6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, :8 And prevailed not;
neither was their place found any more in heaven.

in conclusion

The Bible shows that there are no FALLEN ANGELS in the Old Testament. Please allow me to explain why, using the Bible.

I believe that the Statement made by Jesus where
he said he beheld Satan Falling Like Lightening From heaven - this was a prophecy of a future event. OR a past event where Satan had SIMPLY entered the earth. This does not necessarily mean that Satan falling from heaven like lightening is the event of Satan being thrown out of heaven. But rather Satan known that Jesus is on earth and he leaves heaven to enter into the earth to destroy Jesus.

the Bible clearly shows that the spiritual forces of evil even today and at the time when the New testament was written - they were and are today - located / dwelling / located and residing here on earth and their POWERS also are active today - in The Celestials / heavenlies.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in The Celestials / heavenlies

This Greek word in The Celestials / heavenlies = is the Greek word
The spiritual wickedness are even today - in - The Celestials / heavenlies

Also located, where the Angels - who are themselves ““ Spirits ““ are also located - today the principalities, powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, the powers of spiritual wickedness and the POWERS OF GOOD are CURRENTLY / NOW in - The Celestials / heavenlies \

What does this mean - spiritual wickedness in The Celestials / heavenlies ? When the New Testament was written, the authors believed that Satan and his Angels were not kicked out of heaven but were on earth and also held power in the Celestials / heavenlies

Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him
in his own right in the The Celestials / heavenlies

Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in The Celestials / heavenlies in Christ Jesus:

Eph 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in The Celestials / heavenlies might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in The Celestials / heavenlies in Christ:

Don’’ t you agree - that the powers of spiritual wickedness in The Celestials / heavenlies …… - this is also where The Anointing and Spirit Of God and the Powers of his Angels also are located. Does this seem very clear in God’’ s word. ?

From the very beginning we see in - Rev 1: Verse - 1

That the Book Of Revelation is - The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, TO SHEW unto his servants THINGS WHICH MUST SHORTLY COME TO PASS; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Verse - :3 Blessed he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein:

FOR THIS TIME AT HAND.

From the very beginning, in Revelation, we see clearly that the entire Book is dedicated to - SHEWING unto his servants
THE THINGS WHICH MUST SHORTLY COME TO PASS; = the future.

In fact, my friends, there is not a single event or happening revealed in Revelation that mentions, brings up or reveals a single event from the past.

Every single last event in the Book is solely and entirely { only } about the Present and the Future only.
Also, very important - we notice the Greek word : π* λ* α* ν* ω* ν* - meaning deceived ““

Rev 20:10 And the devil that ““ deceived = π* λ* α* ν* ω* ν* ““ them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
Again this same Greek word is used in

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceived = π* λ* α* ν* ω* ν* ““ the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

This is what is very, very important, notice what The Holy Spirit is saying here - it is saying that ““ Satan, which had deceived the whole / entire world - was cast out into the earth, and his ANGELS were cast out with him.

From the very beginning, in Revelation, we see clearly that the entire Book is dedicated to - SHEWING unto his servants
THE THINGS WHICH MUST SHORTLY COME TO PASS; = the future.

Nothing from the past is revealed, transpiring or ongoing in the Book Of Revelation.

What The Holy Spirit is saying here, in the original manuscripts - it is saying that ““ SATAN, WHICH HAD DECEIVED THE WHOLE / ENTIRE WORLD - WAS CAST OUT INTO THE EARTH, AND HIS ANGELS WERE CAST OUT WITH HIM.
We are not talking about Satan or a Cherub falling out of the heavens or being CAST OUT of heaven because he rebelled against God by misguiding and tricking two confused sinners named Adam and Eve in a little tiny miniature secluded garden. Nor are we find anywhere in the manuscripts that angels were cast out for lusting after women and having relations with them.

Satan and his Angels are CAST OUT _ ONLY _ AFTER THEY HAD - deceived the whole entire world. The manuscripts are very clear.

The passages in Revelation are very chronological, very event- ly laid out step by step, event by event, exactly as God will do.

Chapter - 1. ”” Jesus commands John to Write a book and sent the book to the churches.

Saying - Write in a book what you have seen, WHAT IS NOW and what WILL TAKE PLACE LATER”” - not the past events and past timeline of his creation.

Rev 4:1 - in the manuscripts - continues to clarify and distinguish that this has absolutely nothing to do with the past. Saying Come up hither, and I
WILL SHEW THEE THINGS WHICH MUST BE HEREAFTER.

Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Rev 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

If we read the book from the beginning, relying upon the original manuscripts the Bible bears these facts out clearly. - Satan and His Angels are thrown out of heaven / FALLEN - only after they HAD succeeded in DECEIVING THE WHOLE / ENTIRE WORLD - then - WAS CAST OUT INTO THE EARTH, AND HIS ANGELS WERE CAST OUT WITH HIM.

A thread someone posted today in this section brought to mind a belief called "soul sleep," which is held by Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses. In a nutshell, it's the view that when we die, our soul "sleeps" until the resurrection and final judgment.

The timing of the other thread was interesting because just last night this topic came up in an online small group I'm part of, and someone in our little group believes in soul sleep. I mentioned that what Jesus said to the thief on the cross - "today you will be with me in paradise" - shows that soul sleep is unbiblical, but she said that doesn't make sense because Jesus did not go directly to paradise that day. (That's a whole topic in and of itself, but apparently that is one of the arguments used by those who believe in soul sleep.)

My view is that soul sleep is a false idea, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Mainly I'd like to hear the arguments / scriptures for and against this in order to be more confident that the standard view is indeed correct.

I wanted to hear what the Christians here have to say about this, especially anyone who has studied this topic before. Thanks!
it is Biblical

Forum List

Back