Zone1 Do Christians only have 9 Commandments or No Commandments?

We were grafted into the Jewish line, but that does not put us under Jewish Law. Because Christ put us under a better covenant:

Hebrews 8:6-9 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. For if that first covenant <(the law) had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
Paul also spoke of two Priesthoods. The Higher Priesthood after the Order of Melchizedek and the Lesser Priesthood after the order of Aaron the Levite. The Children of Israel under Moses were given the Lesser Priesthood with all the ordinances and covenants of that Priesthood, which is the authority and power of God. Jesus brought a the higher law because he believed the people were ready for it. Some were and most weren't and still aren't. However, under the higher law which is the law of Christ, the Priesthood after the order of the Son of God or Melchizedek (as not to use the Lord's name in vain too much). It wasn't that the lesser covenants were faulty. They just weren't complete to bring all to the highest Celestial Glory as Paul spoke of in First Corinthians Chapter 15.

Interesting enough, the concept is that the Old Testament is an old law for only those people of Israel since the time of Moses. Not before and not after the death of Jesus Christ. And, as stated by this Christian and many others, the 10 Commandments only have actually 9 Commandments eliminating the Commandment of the Sabbath. To keep it holy and to rest on the Sabbath.

Now, I suggest that there is an error as Jesus was questioned to what is the greatest of the 10 Commandments. Not to get caught in a trap, he answered the trappers that the Ten Commandments can be given in just 2 Commandments; "“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. “This is the first and great commandment. “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." So, were all the laws and commandments done away with?

What are some of your thoughts on this? What are your Christian churches views on keeping one day holy and how is that accomplished? I personally know it is a blessing to rest from all the cares of the world we have of the 6 preceding days. I went to college for 4 straight years, summer, spring, fall and winter semesters for 4 straight years with no breaks. The only way I managed was to have that one day to rest and do the work of the Lord only and partake of His Sacraments.
The Old Testament does appear to me to be rules for the nation of Israel. What does it mean that Christ "fulfilled the law"? I can confirm that I do not know. Peter was given specific instructions to violate Jewish law.

The Old Testament references many holidays with very specific descriptions. The New Testament only mentions one holiday (holy day) and that is Yom Rishon. It doesn't specifically say Yom Rishon but it says the first day of the week. This is known as the Lord's Day. We don't know what calendar they were using but I think it is extremely safe to assume they were using the Jewish calendar. Yet, you are right, if Christians are going to elevate the ten commandments as a guide then that would include the fourth commandment to rest completely on Sabbath.

Does it have to be Sunday?
For me, Mr. Meister, it (being a Christian) is 24-7-365 task series, and I still make mistakes and need to have the Lord's forgiveness if he sees my confession of error as sincere. I believe in what Christ actually did, to teach people to care about others including enemies and people who mistreat us. He also became the sacrificial lamb to open Heaven to believers and to put Hell and it's operator, Satan, out of business. I have a lot of joy when I get to attend services on Sundays because of disabilities that cause me to miss going a lot. I even pray for friend and foe here because that is a requirement to love thine enemies. Thank you for your years of service as a moderator extraodinaire. And I apologize for going off topic. 😇

Okay, lets take Saturday then.......does it have to be a Saturday?
Yes, if by Saturday you mean the seventh day of the week. However, much of Europe and some other part of the globe label the seventh day of the week Sunday.

The law now lives inside of Christians by faith and the Holy Spirit. No more sabbath days or holy days. The law died on the cross. That's Scripture.

The law now lives inside of Christians by faith and the Holy Spirit. No more sabbath days or holy days. The law died on the cross. That's Scripture.
I have heard that my whole life but never read the scripture verse that says anything of the sort.

Interesting enough, the concept is that the Old Testament is an old law for only those people of Israel since the time of Moses. Not before and not after the death of Jesus Christ. And, as stated by this Christian and many others, the 10 Commandments only have actually 9 Commandments eliminating the Commandment of the Sabbath. To keep it holy and to rest on the Sabbath.

Now, I suggest that there is an error as Jesus was questioned to what is the greatest of the 10 Commandments. Not to get caught in a trap, he answered the trappers that the Ten Commandments can be given in just 2 Commandments; "“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. “This is the first and great commandment. “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." So, were all the laws and commandments done away with?

What are some of your thoughts on this? What are your Christian churches views on keeping one day holy and how is that accomplished? I personally know it is a blessing to rest from all the cares of the world we have of the 6 preceding days. I went to college for 4 straight years, summer, spring, fall and winter semesters for 4 straight years with no breaks. The only way I managed was to have that one day to rest and do the work of the Lord only and partake of His Sacraments.
YOU can go back as far as you like and you'll se the 2 sides of the stones on which the 10 commandments were written.One side is called the law in regard to God and the other the law in regard to man.

As to the Sabbath, it was made for man,to not keep it is to 1) err in your faith as you treat as not made for man and 2) you separate who you are from what you do. As they said in the Middle Ages "You can't give what you don't have" . You will have no effect on spreading the Gospel if people see you keep the Law but dont' care about the LawGiver

Forum List

Back