Zone1 Do Christians only have 9 Commandments or No Commandments?

Cougarbear

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2022

Interesting enough, the concept is that the Old Testament is an old law for only those people of Israel since the time of Moses. Not before and not after the death of Jesus Christ. And, as stated by this Christian and many others, the 10 Commandments only have actually 9 Commandments eliminating the Commandment of the Sabbath. To keep it holy and to rest on the Sabbath.

Now, I suggest that there is an error as Jesus was questioned to what is the greatest of the 10 Commandments. Not to get caught in a trap, he answered the trappers that the Ten Commandments can be given in just 2 Commandments; "“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. “This is the first and great commandment. “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." So, were all the laws and commandments done away with?

What are some of your thoughts on this? What are your Christian churches views on keeping one day holy and how is that accomplished? I personally know it is a blessing to rest from all the cares of the world we have of the 6 preceding days. I went to college for 4 straight years, summer, spring, fall and winter semesters for 4 straight years with no breaks. The only way I managed was to have that one day to rest and do the work of the Lord only and partake of His Sacraments.

Interesting enough, the concept is that the Old Testament is an old law for only those people of Israel since the time of Moses. Not before and not after the death of Jesus Christ. And, as stated by this Christian and many others, the 10 Commandments only have actually 9 Commandments eliminating the Commandment of the Sabbath. To keep it holy and to rest on the Sabbath.

Now, I suggest that there is an error as Jesus was questioned to what is the greatest of the 10 Commandments. Not to get caught in a trap, he answered the trappers that the Ten Commandments can be given in just 2 Commandments; "“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. “This is the first and great commandment. “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." So, were all the laws and commandments done away with?

What are some of your thoughts on this? What are your Christian churches views on keeping one day holy and how is that accomplished? I personally know it is a blessing to rest from all the cares of the world we have of the 6 preceding days. I went to college for 4 straight years, summer, spring, fall and winter semesters for 4 straight years with no breaks. The only way I managed was to have that one day to rest and do the work of the Lord only and partake of His Sacraments.
if you read it completely it is for the children of isreal,, not christians,,

We have two commandments. Love one another as I have loved you. and Spread the gospel.

The 10 are part of Jewish Law. Put yourself under Jewish Law and break one, you are guilty of all 600+ laws.

James 2:10 Whoever breaks one commandment is guilty of breaking them all. ... For whoever keeps the whole Law but fails in one point is guilty of breaking all of it.​

We have usurped the 10 Jewish commandments as a moral compass (not as a part of religion) to live by, given to us by God.

Last edited:
We were grafted into the Jewish line, but that does not put us under Jewish Law. Because Christ put us under a better covenant:

Hebrews 8:6-9 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. For if that first covenant <(the law) had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.

Forum List

Back