Zone1 Is It Wrong To Pray At A Restaurant?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I wouldn't think so because I think that it classifies of freedom of religion. I'm asking because for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas my fiancée and I like to say blessings over our meals and this year for Thanksgiving we're going to Perkins. Now back in the day that wouldn't have been a problem at all and I am less worried about attracting attention than I am about when it comes to today's day and age of persecutions against Christians.

I wouldn't think so because I think that it classifies of freedom of religion. I'm asking because for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas my fiancée and I like to say blessings over our meals and this year for Thanksgiving we're going to Perkins. Now back in the day that wouldn't have been a problem at all and I am less worried about attracting attention than I am about when it comes to today's day and age of persecutions against Christians.

What are you doing at a restaurant on Thanksgiving?

• Banned
What are you doing at a restaurant on Thanksgiving?

I said for Thanksgiving not on Thanksgiving. We're having an early Thanksgiving dinner together because we both got other plans on Thanksgiving Day itself.

lg325 If prayer aloud is forbidden then why did Jesus Himself do it and taught all of His disciples the Lord's prayer?

lg325 If prayer aloud is forbidden then why did Jesus Himself do it and taught all of His disciples the Lord's prayer?

Matthew 6​

King James Version​

6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy

Matthew 6:6 - But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Last edited:

Matthew 6​

King James Version​

6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy

That doesn't answer my question. I thought that you were saying at first that you didn't want to pray at a restaurant aloud so that you wouldn't disturb people, but Jesus prayed aloud in the Bible so I think that both silently and aloud are acceptable. In church the pastor even leads people in prayer all the time.

Just don't expect everyone else to do it.

That doesn't answer my question. I thought that you were saying at first that you didn't want to pray at a restaurant aloud so that you wouldn't disturb people, but Jesus prayed aloud in the Bible so I think that both silently and aloud are acceptable. In church the pastor even leads people in prayer all the time.
A restaurant is not a church. How would you like it if the people sitting next to you in church were discussing a ball game?

It's okay Road Runner. If we're needing anything these days, it's thanking God for the food wherever we happen to eat. Prayer was part of the Last Supper with his Disciples, and according to the book of Luke:

Luke 22:19 says, “And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying,​
"This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.”​

Also here:
  • So shine your light before men, that they see your good works, and glorify your Father that is in heavens. YLT so let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and may glorify your Father who [is] in the heavens.

Matthew 5:16 - Bible Gateway

My grandfather taught me when I was young that the Bible was written in such a way that the average person could understand what it meant. The Last Supper is told by different gospel books, so I would say to you trust what you read and understand its meaning. You don't need any other teacher but the Word of the Lord, or basically, the Good Book. :yes_text12:

When I see people in the same restaurant I'm eating in, I've seen them join hands in a family circle (or a circle of close friends) and thank God for food, fellowship, and it touches my heart that our God gave us freedom to follow Jesus' teachings as we understand what we read in the Bible. To me, it's a total blessing to see a family of believers bowing heads, closing eyes and thanking God for all his blessings. It makes me feel like we are not alone in our faith, even though the people may be of another Church than Presbyterians. We laugh at ourselves and say that we are the "frozen chosen." :laugh2: It's just a humor, but I think I heard it first in Albany Oregon where the church was led by a very scholarly clergyman, and he used jokes frequently that helped us laugh and not be too morbidly preoccupied with solemnity. We moved a lot when the kids were young.

Sure, it’s ok.

Just like it’s ok if a Muslim pulls out a prayer rug and prays to Allah right next to you at the restaurant.

I am sure you will be okay with it too, right?

who's kidding who ...

funny how they always look around for who is not joining in so they can smirk and hold their noses and say to their children who among them does not belong ... the christian blessing before each meal.

- where better than the public restaurant.

Forum List

Back