I Had No Idea All Smokers Were Mega Wealthy

Just to clarify, my point is that 'taxing the Hell' out of singled-out non-necessities is foolish and wrong-headed because taxes were never intended to make We The People curb our inalienable freedoms; they were intended to support and pay for infrastructure which should not include lifestyles. Marxist Democrats have thrown that out the window today as they tax and punish those whose lifestyles they disagree with and throw $$$$$ at those who 'obey.'

It's pretty simple actually, you are free to smoke, I am free to shove that stogie up your ass if you blow smoke in my face. Problem solved, no laws, no draconian taxation.
We are all adults with free will. We all make choices, including myself, in what we choose to indulge in. As thinking people I’m sure we recognize that some of those indulges have a high public health cost associated with them. I’m fine with a higher tax to cover that cost (why should nonconsumers have to cover it?). I am still going to enjoy my choices: wine and chocolate,

We are all adults with free will. We all make choices, including myself, in what we choose to indulge in. As thinking people I’m sure we recognize that some of those indulges have a high public health cost associated with them. I’m fine with a higher tax to cover that cost (why should nonconsumers have to cover it?). I am still going to enjoy my choices: wine and chocolate,
Wine and chocolate are dangerous and should be taxed to the hilt and more IMO. How about YOU pay $12 for a glass of mediocre wine? OR maybe $12 for a chocolate candy bar?

Last edited:
Wine and chocolate are dangerous and should be taxed to the hilt and more IMO. Alcohol has caused much death and mayhem and chocolate is no doubt the root of lots of morbid obesity that is also a scourge on your so-called 'public health.' But then, I don't believe 'public health' is any business of the government. Since YOU do, maybe you should contribute more tax $$$$$.
Nope. We all end up paying for it one way or another so we should pay for our vices. I have no problem with paying my share, but not yours,

Nope. We all end up paying for it one way or another so we should pay for our vices. I have no problem with paying my share, but not yours,
Government should not subsidize people who make bad health choices. They need to pay for it themselves. In the case of Medicare, recipients paid into that program so they should be entitled to good health care. Those who are otherwise healthy and capable but don't work and live off government hand outs should not have government paid health care. Taxes should be levied fairly no matter what the substance.

I remember when the Al Gore suits hit the tobacco industry. States that applied for the settlement swore they would dedicate the money to help people quit smoking, offset smoking related health costs, educating the young into not starting in the first place. States like mine pocketed the money and spent it on all kinds of pet projects not in the least bit associated with tobacco products.

During the DumBama years, the motto was nobody making less than 250K will see a new tax of any kind. Nothing! As soon as he invaded the White House, his first mission was to tax the poor via the largest federal tax in many years. Afterwards he started to keep income tax refund checks from who? That's right, the poor, because it's the poor who could least afford to buy health insurance.

The biggest problem with our voting system is we allow the completely politically ignorant to vote. If the blacks and poor ever educated themselves about American politics and how the Democrats have been screwing them for decades, there would be no Democrat party.

What stupid OP. Tobacco is not a necessity (even though some think it is)….tax the hell out of it, pot, and booze to help pay for tbe damage it causes. Nothing to do with wealth.

Then why don't the Democrats campaign on that? We are going to tax what "we" feel are non-necessities? I don't feel abortions are a necessity. When Republicans get in, why don't we tax the hell out of them?

Sounds like nasty-ass tobacco on the market. People are suddenly hacking and coughing and choking on cigarettes which used to be palatable, affordable, and unobjectionable to bystanders.

About 15 years ago the government forced them to start using carpenter glue in their cigarettes to help prevent house fires. People would be smoking and fall asleep. Today cigarettes go out if you don't puff on them frequently enough.

Why should THEIR share of their own healthcare costs be decreased? They brought this on themselves. Why should the taxpayers bear any part of the costs of their treatment?

I guess for the same reason we taxpayers pay the cost for girls who have children they can't afford, people who never even tried to learn a trade or career and end up at Walmart using food stamps and HUD. We pay for people who did something stupid like experiment with recreational drugs and ended up addicted. You on the left make all kinds of excuses for those people making claim taxpayers need to contribute more, or force industry to overpay no-skill employees.

nicotine.jpg

Right. It would be so unfair to tax people equally. :eusa_shhh:

Then why don't the Democrats campaign on that?
Ray, strictly sticking to the issue of Truck Drivers.
You say you are a Truck Driver, and I totally respect that.

That said, my Grand Father and Father started a "Milk Hauling" business in 1960, a year before I was born.

They started with 2 Semi's and 2 Tankers.
They hauled milk from dairy farms daily, every day, COWS don't take a day off.

My point is this RAY, I rode daily as a pre schooler with my father, he died in 2011, yes I miss him daily, and we drove the I-5 Interstate picking up milk from the various farms, EVERY day.

Point I failed to mention earlier, because Father Time, was that Diesel was 0.23 per gallon back in the late 60's.

I just wish Congress, POTUS (whoever it is) would give a Reduced Price to ALL Truckers.

Ray From Cleveland
I could quickly search for a "I'm a truck driver" quote from you.

But I know that is what you do.

Thank you, not sure what you deliver/haul but I respect every truck driver.

They ALL get my courtesy on the Interstate or Highway.
Thank you Ray for helping.

Ray From Cleveland
I could quickly search for a "I'm a truck driver" quote from you.

But I know that is what you do.

Thank you, not sure what you deliver/haul but I respect every truck driver.

They ALL get my courtesy on the Interstate or Highway.
Thank you Ray for helping.

That said, my Grand Father and Father started a "Milk Hauling" business in 1960, a year before I was born.

My point is this RAY, I rode daily as a pre schooler with my father, he died in 2011, yes I miss him daily, and we drove the I-5 Interstate picking up milk from the various farms, EVERY day.

Point I failed to mention earlier, because Father Time, was that Diesel was 0.23 per gallon back in the late 60's.

I just wish Congress, POTUS (whoever it is) would give a Reduced Price to ALL Truckers.

Thank you very much. I'm an ex-driver to be totally honest. Government took me out of the game just before covid hit. I was just about 60 anyway and without many other choices, accepted the early retirement. Never drove a tanker before and spent all of my years driving a 53' van. We delivered anything non-hazardous to various companies across my state.

I'm the only former truck driver in this place. Everybody else here seems to own their own business, independently wealthy, earn big bucks working from home. Me, I'm just a truck driver and landlord but proud of it.

Thank you for the compliments and recognition of our value to this country. In most cases it's really a thankless job.

Thank you very much. I'm an ex-driver to be totally honest. Government took me out of the game just before covid hit. I was just about 60 anyway and without many other choices, accepted the early retirement. Never drove a tanker before and spent all of my years driving a 53' van. We delivered anything non-hazardous to various companies across my state.

I'm the only former truck driver in this place. Everybody else here seems to own their own business, independently wealthy, earn big bucks working from home. Me, I'm just a truck driver and landlord but proud of it.

Thank you for the compliments and recognition of our value to this country. In most cases it's really a thankless job.
I have total respect for truck divers.
I could share the family business, but only in a private message.
Why, because others will ridicule.
Between you and me, my father started a Milk Hauling Business that extended to the ENTIRE west coast.

He went from 2 tankers to over 50, before he passed.
He bought out Dairygold. Just Saying.
He went from 2 tankers to 50.

I went for Teaching. It has worked out well.

I wish you well Ray.

Tell that wish to Biden who single handedly screwed all drivers and especially truck drivers with his stupid decisions which caused gas prices to soar.

Forum List

Back