I don't really understand the Dems' "need," for lack of a better word, for a national $15 min wage.

So if you're against a $15 minimum wage...how much do YOU make.

Wanna bet they won't say?

Wanna bet it's a hell of a lot more than $15/ hour?

You are correct. People with a skill set will make more ore than minimum wage. What is your point? What part of this common sense equation don't you understand?

It's an option for many because no one enforces the law.

They do in civilized parts of the country. I don't know WTF goes on in red America.

They don't anywhere. It's why millions come here illegally. You can make up all the lame excuses you want. Now when those here illegally are made legal, they will lose their jobs, go on welfare and millions more will come to replace them.
Nonsense.

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.

I mostly agree with you. What I can't understand is how a high school kid will make a $15/hour starting wage while some poor schmuck who's been working at Home Depot for ten plus years only makes $17/hour after numerous raises spread over a decade. My younger brother is a Home Depot store manager. We were discussing this insane disparity the other night. And it's not just Home Despot either. So you're telling the guy who's finally hit $20/hour at a union carpenter's job after five years hard labor that Johnny high school dropout can make $15/hour flipping fucking burgers . . . to start? Skilled labor used to be a valuable thing . . .

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.
Fifty years ago, minimum wage buying power was considerably stronger. One hour of work would buy five gallons of gasoline. Today, one hour of work at federal minimum wage about a gallon-and-a-half.

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, one hour of work would buy five loaves of bread and get back change. Today, one hour of work at federal minimum wage, a little over two loaves.

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, working forty hour a week, one income could support a family of three (That would be a married couple with one child).

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, a teenager, working part-time, living with his/her parents, attending college classes could buy a muscle car. Today, the same situation, the teenager buys a used bicycle.

The list goes on, but, the RWNJs are convinced, in the good old days minimum wage workers had life much too good. They want minimum wage workers to rely on social programs to survive, so they can b!tch about how lazy the working poor have become.

When your boy Quid Pro,Nancy,Chuckie and pals are done a 15dollar minimum wage will buy a pint of gasoline.....because....you know...they care about the poor.

If what you say is true, the businesses that pay minimum wage must have a large turnover as the employees move on to greener pastures. But, training new help must get tiresome, and the mistakes trainees make get costly.

But, you RWNJs know everything about the business world, so no one can argue with your superior wisdom.

Most minimum wage jobs are low (or no) skill with minimal training, if any.

WHAT THE HELL?????????
You can't just go against the narrative like that!!!
Liberal policies are not grounded in reality!! We can't have this! If everyone just goes willy nilly and go against group think mentality - then we all can't enjoy basking in the glory of our virtue signaling!!!

Now... get back in line and tow the party message!!!
rightwinger - show this guy how it's done!... he is speaking against the narrative!!

There,,, RW will be here to straighten you out

WHAT THE HELL?????????
You can't just go against the narrative like that!!!
Liberal policies are not grounded in reality!! We can't have this! If everyone just goes willy nilly and go against group think mentality - then we all can't enjoy basking in the glory of our virtue signaling!!!

Now... get back in line and tow the party message!!!
rightwinger - show this guy how it's done!... he is speaking against the narrative!!

There,,, RW will be here to straighten you out
What do you want me to tow?

Alabama, Mississippi and West Virginia are 3 of the states most heavily dependent on government handouts. A $15 minimum wage will eliminate food stamps, Section 8 Housing, and earned income credits for all workers in these states. A $15 minimum replaces these programs with actual wages - eliminating the federal government infrastructure which supports them, and thus reducing the size of government.

Last but not least, in eliminating all wage subsidies, and making corporations pay their own damn workers, you are reducing both wage and wealth inequity.

Minimum wage has not been touched in eleven years. Increases are long overdue.
Why should the lowest skilled worker bear the burden of supporting corporate profits?

Alabama, Mississippi and West Virginia are 3 of the states most heavily dependent on government handouts. A $15 minimum wage will eliminate food stamps, Section 8 Housing, and earned income credits for all workers in these states. A $15 minimum replaces these programs with actual wages - eliminating the federal government infrastructure which supports them, and thus reducing the size of government.

Last but not least, in eliminating all wage subsidies, and making corporations pay their own damn workers, you are reducing both wage and wealth inequity.
HAhahahahaaa!!!
Yeah... no.
Obviously you paid no attention to west coast cities/states that already did this. Some even rescinded after so many businesses laid people off, and others went out of business.
Raising the min. wage to this degree will ABSOLUTELY result in massive layoffs.
What.... you think money grows on trees???
You think these businesses just have $millions stuffed in desk drawers??
The vast majority of businesses that pay min. wage operate on razor thin margins. They cannot BEGIN to increase their wages like that.

You guys are too funny...well... not really... your group think fantasy land now have a President just as out of it as you are.

They do in civilized parts of the country. I don't know WTF goes on in red America.

They don't anywhere. It's why millions come here illegally. You can make up all the lame excuses you want. Now when those here illegally are made legal, they will lose their jobs, go on welfare and millions more will come to replace them.
Nonsense.

Watch. It's going to happen.

It is not true that most cannot.
Investing in automation would benefit all.
Reducing staff is not always feasible.
Hiring illegals is , well illegal. This is not an option.
Small businesses are going to do what they have to do to survive. I suggest you do some research on what the true profit margins are in these companies. I was a small business owner, I know the "studies" about $15 an hour MW are fantasies.

Minimum wage has not been touched in eleven years. Increases are long overdue.
Why should the lowest skilled worker bear the burden of supporting corporate profits?
Haha.... thanks, I knew I could count on some nonsense from you.
Corporate profits?? You do realize that these corporate profits you speak of are not companies that pay min. wage.... right?
They pay much less than that.
They have their shit made in Chinese slave labor camps. They would be uneffected by $1000 min wage.
People who work min. wage, work in retail and restaurants. Both extremely thin margin industries. Whatever wage increases they have will immediately result in higher prices. Companies like this are already REELING from Covid.
Have you paid any attention??? Macy's, JC Penney, Bed Bath and Beyond.... closed down everywhere... the fuck all they can afford to pay what stores they have left to double their wage costs.

You are old enough to be an adult now. Playtime fantasies are for children.

Yeah, I see your point. The sky is falling.

Think I'll take a nap, you keep a look out on that sky for me.
Thanks.

So if you're against a $15 minimum wage...how much do YOU make.

Wanna bet they won't say?

Wanna bet it's a hell of a lot more than $15/ hour?
When you're on a fixed income, it makes a big difference. Maine has gone from 7.50 to 12.15 in the past five years and yes, it does cause a rise in consumer prices. I supported it, but enough is enough. $15 is overkill for Maine; if areas have such a high cost of living that $15 is necessary to get by, let them institute it there, not here.

Forum List

Back