Does raising the minimum wage reduce poverty?

Anomalism

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2020
If the answer is no, and I'm pretty sure it is, then why have a minimum wage at all? If you raise the minimum wage to $15 all you're doing is ensuring that any job worth less than that won't exist legally, and that means unskilled people will have less job opportunities and less possibilities for expanding their value in the market. Grown people should not be inhibited by the government when it comes to their ability to negotiate their own labor. It's immoral, patronizing and it doesn't actually achieve its intended effect. It does ensure less jobs and less business opportunities though.

The minimum wage is well-intentioned, and our economy can survive despite it, but all it really does is limit the people that are worth the least. The impact a $15/hr minimum wage would have on the job market, particularly in more rural states, is no doubt massive. I consider myself left wing. I support a lot of left wing ideas. This is not one of them though. There shouldn't be a minimum wage. It's not actually helping poor people. I think it's bad for everybody.

Last edited:
All minimum wage does is increase prices to compensate for the increase. While there should be a minimum wage the idea that it needs to be moved all the time.

there should be a minimum wage
I disagree. Having one at all says it's okay for the government to mitigate a person's ability to negotiate with their labor in the market. Having one at all also highly increases the odds of it being raised and limiting the market more.

If the answer is no, and I'm pretty sure it is, then why have a minimum wage at all? If you raise the minimum wage to $15 all you're doing is ensuring that any job worth less than that won't exist legally, and that means unskilled people will have less job opportunities and less possibilities for expanding their value in the market. Grown people should not be inhibited by the government when it comes to their ability to negotiate their own labor. It's immoral, patronizing and it doesn't actually achieve its intended effect. It does ensure less jobs and less business opportunities though.

The minimum wage is well-intentioned, and our economy can survive despite it, but all it really does is limit the people that are worth the least. The impact a $15/hr minimum wage would have on the job market, particularly in more rural states, is no doubt massive. I consider myself left wing. I support a lot of left wing ideas. This is not one of them though. There shouldn't be a minimum wage. It's not actually helping poor people. I think it's bad for everybody.
The minimum wage gives people more financial incentive to get off the government dole.

You think there will be jobs that just don't get done? That's just goofy.

Does Warren Buffet making another billion in dividends reduce poverty? not in the least.

The minimum wage gives people more financial incentive to get off the government dole.

It would do the opposite. I've known of many cases where people limit their income to continue getting government goodies. Increasing the MW would only result in them working less hours making them even lazier.

Baloney. One can attempt to negotiate their wages regardless. The power always rests firmly with the employer though. Minimum Wage law evens the scales a bit and rids "the market" of cheapskates currently paying too little over the table. What's patronizing is pretending that any job could be "worth less" than MW, that government may be adversely impinging upon a worker's liberty with this, and that individual "Grown people" with apparently no skill possess some kind of magic bargaining power.

Everything I get every month like coffee at the store was up by at least $2- $3 yet I see the local quick stop is still only paying $11 an hour and if you get the poison jab you don't even have to wear a mask all day and rebreath your own exhaust.

Cont' edit.

Rent I see is generally around $800 a mo.

Our own electric is up over $200 a month and all we have is lights, computer and refrigeration on that generally. Heating is all separate. Was $80 month til the electric company got a greedy ceo.

Does raising the minimum wage make a difference? Sure it does but then everything else goes up too and the taxes all go up also.

Last edited:
Everything I get every month like coffee at the store was up by at least $2- $3 yet I see the local quick stop is still only paying $11 an hour and if you get the poison jab you don't even have to wear a mask all day and rebreath your own exhaust.
Inflation is rampant because they have been slamming out trillions from the gov't. And have restricted supply from shutting down the world economy.

The problem is Gov't and always has been the problem.

Inflation is rampant because they have been slamming out trillions from the gov't. And have restricted supply from shutting down the world economy.

The problem is Gov't and always has been the problem.
Not only that but we have corporate raiders who are allowed to by a large swath of stock, raise the crap out of their own benefits, wages, etc. and then dump.

Not only that but we have corporate raiders who are allowed to by a large swath of stock, raise the crap out of their own benefits, wages, etc. and then dump.
Al Capone would be proud of them. It is why I've said NEVER RAISE the debt ceiling again. Take the money away from the Feds........Cut the Fed agencies to the bone and return the power to the states.

Baloney. One can attempt to negotiate their wages regardless. The power always rests firmly with the employer though. Minimum Wage law evens the scales a bit and rids "the market" of cheapskates currently paying too little over the table. What's patronizing is pretending that any job could be "worth less" than MW, that government may be adversely impinging upon a worker's liberty with this, and that individual "Grown people" with apparently no skill possess some kind of magic bargaining power.

I would support the minimum wage if not for the dozens of social programs we have. But if we are to be honest here, nobody is going to work for little money when they do better just going on the dole, so MW is completely useless yet alone raising it higher.

Forum List

Back