I don't really understand the Dems' "need," for lack of a better word, for a national $15 min wage.

When I was 15 I started working at $4.25 an hour, minimum at the time, and was up to $5.00 an hour after a year, and $6 an hour after two. And that was just a clerk job at a pharmacy.
Adjusted for inflation what you made as a kid WAS equal to $15/hr and yet you expect adults to subsist on half that now.

Telling.

Imagine taking a $50/ / hr pay cut and trying to get by. I doubt you care because you'll never be faced with that

Actually it's $8.78, and again, I was only making it for about 8 months before I got a raise for being competent.
What year? You already stated it was $4.75

1990, and it was $4.25 when I started.

When I was 15 I started working at $4.25 an hour, minimum at the time, and was up to $5.00 an hour after a year, and $6 an hour after two. And that was just a clerk job at a pharmacy.
Adjusted for inflation what you made as a kid WAS equal to $15/hr and yet you expect adults to subsist on half that now.

Telling.

Imagine taking a $50/ / hr pay cut and trying to get by. I doubt you care because you'll never be faced with that

Actually it's $8.78, and again, I was only making it for about 8 months before I got a raise for being competent.
What year? You already stated it was $4.75

The Fed wasn't pumping billions into the markets constantly in 1990.

82 million workers over 16 make minimum wage. That's over HALF the work force.

We ain't talking about kids making sneaker money. We're talking about people trying to survive...on poverty wages

Telling.

Well that's sort of my point. When I was a kid in an urban area making min wage, I was in school and worked part time. Later, I worked 40 hrs week at two part time min wage jobs while still in HS, but I was supplementing my family's income, and had no intention of trying to live on my own. Full time employers didn't want punks like me, so they had to pay more than min wage.

Now adults, or young people not in school, have taken those jobs. The night shifts. The jobs that only offer 20 hours. The full time low skill jobs don't exist. But we have non-nuclear family units, and even nuclear families, where while one parent is home to watch the kids, the other parent is working a shift on non-regular hours. In NYC $15/hr may not produce liveable wages. But in Jesusland stocking the Wal-Mart shelves and getting home in time to milk the cows weed the truck farm and catch some sleep before the next day works out.

I watched an interview this morning in which an XL pipeline employee reported the minimum wage for them was reportedly just over $21. If that is, if they were to allow the Democrats to set their minimum wage they would lose approx. $17 an hour.
That's ridiculous. It's not a MAXIMUM wage dumbass...it's a MINIMUM. You see the difference right?
So you think you could survive on $8/ hr now?

How can you expect someone else to?

I watched an interview this morning in which an XL pipeline employee reported the minimum wage for them was reportedly just over $21. If that is, if they were to allow the Democrats to set their minimum wage they would lose approx. $17 an hour.
That's ridiculous. It's not a MAXIMUM wage dumbass...it's a MINIMUM. You see the difference right?

I would expect them to be able to earn more than $8 an hour.

Minimum wage isn't supposed to support someone, nor is it supposed to be a job someone does long term.

Sorry, but I was able to get a raise being a 15 or 16 year old kid by just doing my job competently.

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.
Fifty years ago, minimum wage buying power was considerably stronger. One hour of work would buy five gallons of gasoline. Today, one hour of work at federal minimum wage about a gallon-and-a-half.

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, one hour of work would buy five loaves of bread and get back change. Today, one hour of work at federal minimum wage, a little over two loaves.

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, working forty hour a week, one income could support a family of three (That would be a married couple with one child).

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, a teenager, working part-time, living with his/her parents, attending college classes could buy a muscle car. Today, the same situation, the teenager buys a used bicycle.

The list goes on, but, the RWNJs are convinced, in the good old days minimum wage workers had life much too good. They want minimum wage workers to rely on social programs to survive, so they can b!tch about how lazy the working poor have become.

Minimum wage isn't supposed to support someone, nor is it supposed to be a job someone does long term.

Sorry, but I was able to get a raise being a 15 or 16 year old kid by just doing my job competently.

Minimum Wage Jobs are not supposed to support families.

If what you say is true, the businesses that pay minimum wage must have a large turnover as the employees move on to greener pastures. But, training new help must get tiresome, and the mistakes trainees make get costly.

But, you RWNJs know everything about the business world, so no one can argue with your superior wisdom.

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.
minimum wage is an anti black program. again, the kkkers showing off.

The Minimum Wage: Enemy of Blacks – The Future of Freedom Foundation (fff.org)

Last edited:

If what you say is true, the businesses that pay minimum wage must have a large turnover as the employees move on to greener pastures. But, training new help must get tiresome, and the mistakes trainees make get costly.

But, you RWNJs know everything about the business world, so no one can argue with your superior wisdom.

Up or out has always been the regime of the minimum wage worker.

We ain't talking about kids making sneaker money. We're talking about people trying to survive...on poverty wages
Progs played their roles in this. Endless 2% GNP increases at best is our future on average.

Some companies will be able to afford $15 an hour MW and still be profitable. Most cannot and will either invest in automation, reduce staff, or hire illegals to survive. Many will go bankrupt.

It is not true that most cannot.
Investing in automation would benefit all.
Reducing staff is not always feasible.
Hiring illegals is , well illegal. This is not an option.

Some companies will be able to afford $15 an hour MW and still be profitable. Most cannot and will either invest in automation, reduce staff, or hire illegals to survive. Many will go bankrupt.

It is not true that most cannot.
Investing in automation would benefit all.
Reducing staff is not always feasible.
Hiring illegals is , well illegal. This is not an option.

It's an option for many because no one enforces the law.

That just didn't happen here.

Not all but a large portion of the work force here has 15 dollar an hour minimum.

The state minimum wage is over 13 dollars an hour. By state law we have to have the highest state minimum wage in the nation.

The areas that are close to the areas that have 15 dollars an hour also have that as the starting wage so they can get workers.

It has not harmed my state or area. In fact we have low unemployment compared to the rest of the nation.

I'm tired of having to supplement worker income with public assistance because their employer won't pay them a living wage.

No one who works a 40 hour week job should need or qualify for public assistance but it's common now.

We are basically supplementing their income with our tax dollars. That's not what the government is for. The government isn't supposed to pay people to work at a private business. The government is supposed to make sure that private business pays the employee a proper living wage with proper benefits.

We are making those filthy rich business even more filthy rich by allowing them to pay such very low wages.

The minimum wage has not been increased since the bush boy years. It's way beyond time to increase the minimum wage.

... I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.
Bendog, all federal minimum wage rates were passed by U.S. congresses and signed by U.S. Presidents. The federal minimum wage rate limits the extents that a lower rate state is able to undermine other states minimum wage rates. Paradoxically, the poorer economies, (which are of those states, (and particularly employees within those states) more opposed to the federal minimum laws, derive more than other states net benefits due to those same laws.
Respectfully, Supposn

It's an option for many because no one enforces the law.

They do in civilized parts of the country. I don't know WTF goes on in red America.

They don't anywhere. It's why millions come here illegally. You can make up all the lame excuses you want. Now when those here illegally are made legal, they will lose their jobs, go on welfare and millions more will come to replace them.

How does raising wages and prices change that? Let me guess, you think companies are just going to eat the higher labor costs and not pass them on, right?

LOL

Forum List

Back