Happy Birthday Lothar Meyer, Chemist - Learning Experience for All

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
Julius Lothar Meyer (19 August 1830 – 11 April 1895) was a German chemist. He was one of the pioneers in developing the first periodic table of chemical elements. Both Mendeleev and Meyer worked with Robert Bunsen. He never used his first given name, and was known throughout his life simply as Lothar Meyer
------------------------------------

After learning of today's birthday of Lotar Meyer, from the corrupt Google search engine, I reflected on the"periodic table of the elements" as it is called everywhere.

Here is Meyer's first "periodic table" circa 1864:
Periodic_table_Meyer_1864.png

I thought and thought about this table until it hit me.

Periodic table of the elements is misnamed.
It SHOULD be called "the table of periodic elements" because there is nothing periodic about the table itself.

By 1918, it had been modified and expanded considerably.

Periodic table 1918.jpg

I really don't know how they did it. Meyer and Mendeleev were pretty smart guys.

Today's Table of Periodic Elements, always misnamed "periodic table of the elements". Good chemists, bad grammarians.

Periodic table 2020.jpg

Imagine the creativity of taking only three different building blocks, electrons, protons and neutrons, and constructing ninety-two different elements, some of which are gases, some liquids, and some solids, both hard and soft at temperatures we experience here on earth. Then these ninety-two can be combined into literally millions of other compounds, countless of which are profoundly useful in our lives. This didn't just happen by itself, friend.

"If somebody made God then He wouldn't be God, would He." - Oxford Emeritus Mathematics Professor, John Lennox

Forum List

Back