God Damn !! - Maus banned in Tennnessee for curse words like "God damn!!"

8 curse words and a drawing of a NAKED female mouse.

Its not the end of the world but it is a signpost on the way. One of the board commented that there was a lot of unpleasant stuff in the Pulitzer Prize winning book. There must be a way to depict the Holocaust without subjecting the kids to unpleasentness.

Its easy to mock these people but I am sure they are genuinely doing what they think is best for the kids. But really.....................
Lots of books have been banned by schools over the years. Harry Potter series was banned, I think it was a Tennessee school. To Kill A Mockingbird, Huck Finn, Of Mice and Men, Catcher In the Rye, Animal Farm, The Color Purple. Not much for book banning but the schools can do what they want and kids can go to the city, county or state library and check it out. Not a big deal to me.

Lots of books have been banned by schools over the years. Harry Potter series was banned, I think it was a Tennessee school. To Kill A Mockingbird, Huck Finn, Of Mice and Men, Catcher In the Rye, Animal Farm, The Color Purple. Not much for book banning but the schools can do what they want and kids can go to the city, county or state library and check it out. Not a big deal to me.
Huck Finn is a world masterpiece the greatest American novel.

Huck Finn is a world masterpiece the greatest American novel.
I know but liberals objected to the use of the n word. To me banned books could make for great discussion in the classroom. Huck Finn is a great example because we can look back and see what attitudes were then and where they are now and talk about the change of social conscience in America. Just a wasted opportunity.

Banning this book is not the solution. It looks like yet another case of someone being offended and taking that offense out to the public to try to change everyone's mind. You know, there are many things out there I don't agree with, and there are some things that are downright offensive to me. And, while on occasion, I will let my opinion be known that I don't think something is right, that does not mean that I will work hard to get everyone to be offended as well. Yeah, I think that the "n word" is offensive, and yeah, I think that calling someone that is offensive. However, I don't think that word should be banned from Mark Twain's works. Why? Because it reflects what the social mores were at the time, and we can use that to show how far we have come towards being a bit more civil towards one another.

I don't like political correctness, because it takes things too far and requires everyone to think the same way. That is wrong in my book, because we are all individuals and should be able to think for ourselves. Matter of fact, differing viewpoints are how new ideas get formed. If everyone thought exactly the same way, we'd become stagnant and ripe for someone saying the right things to take over by banning what everyone thought was offensive.

If you don't like something, or it offends you, that is your baggage and you should deal with it yourself, not use your outrage to force everyone else to believe as you do.

People actually read in TN?
I do and I have been here since July of 1996.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (born in FL and raised in KY)

P.S. I do however have several family members who used to live here who were not good at reading at all. Where are they now? Only the Lord can answer that question. My big question is how was my uncle Jack able to read music and the Bible when he couldn't read anything else?

images

funny how history can start to repeat itself.
You fucking hypocrite. You're all for censorship when it is someone you disagree with as your support for FB, Twitter and YouTube have demonstrated--but let someone introduce profanity in the literature of a public school and the school board object and then it is all about book burning. I've seen how much you object to censorship when someone calls you that magic "C" word--but "OH, THAT'S DIFFERENT" Run along hypocrite.

I know but liberals objected to the use of the n word. To me banned books could make for great discussion in the classroom. Huck Finn is a great example because we can look back and see what attitudes were then and where they are now and talk about the change of social conscience in America. Just a wasted opportunity.
But, but, but, that's history that makes people uncomfortable--censor it. But if you want to teach a degenerate unnatural lifestyle to youngsters--That's different. Fucking liberal hypocrites.

You are proof that the public school system is not do its job educating. I guess you might be considered an expert that has been taught nothing. Kudos.
I am not the idiot supporting banning a Pulitzer prize winning book over language.

Do you people even go to school?

No, the decision on the book affects the entire country.
There is no way to deny that the extremist far right would attempt to censor the holocaust story.

And a smaller faction of the left who will do the same.

In fact, the topic provides an opportunity for everyone to air their opinions. At their own peril C.A.p.
the decision affects those that go to that school. Potter, Catcher in the Rye, Huck Finn and many other books have been banned in schools and we have all still survived. I think these books would make great teaching moments, I don't get to decide. I find public libraries banning books much more troublesome.

I am not the idiot supporting banning a Pulitzer prize winning book over language.

Do you people even go to school?
You are the one supporting the censorship of public posts on FB, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. We call that H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y, I spelled it out so you can look it up. Parents have the right to control what their children are exposed to.

Forum List

Back