Georgia Bill Would Criminalize Giving Food and Water to Voters Waiting in Long Lines

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

If I lived in Georgia I would give out water and food for a penny or a barter.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Sunday voting and refreshments while waiting in long lines are two things associated with black voters, souls-to-polls.

A Republican Administration is proposing ending Sunday voting and criminalize offering food or water to voters in line.

And they are a group more likely to vote Democrat.

What do you think is the purpose of this proposal?

Huh?

I already stated the proposed law that I quoted as being silly. There is nothing wrong with offering food and water to people in a line.

Being in line to vote was considered as voter suppression, when not given food or water is also silly, their ability to vote from a line isn't being hindered, but waiting in a line for hours is absurd since that problem should be addressed to reduce waiting times, people shouldn't have to wait long to vote.

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

I thought black people can't vote because they have no valid ID?

What a stupid thread, oh wait it's leftist Newsweek

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Restrictions on mail in voting are voter supression. It's just that simple

Ha ha ha, you are suggesting that people waiting in line to vote are being prevented from using mail in voting ballots?

It's some of that southern hospitality, gone wrong.

The long lines are only in areas where black people live.
Sez who?

this long line includes plenty of white people though I doubt if any polling place in georgia could live up to the 12-hours some libs are claiming

View attachment 464757Hundreds of people wait in line for early voting on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Marietta, Georgia. Eager voters have waited six hours or more in the former Republican stronghold of Cobb County, and lines have wrapped around buildings in solidly Democratic DeKalb County. | AP Images

This is absurd, no one should be waiting for many hours to spend 2 minutes to vote.

There should have been several more polling places set up.

Very dumb!

Ha ha ha, you are suggesting that people waiting in line to vote are being prevented from using mail in voting ballots?
Again, read the OP and the links. The bill includes much more than the water and food thing.

I thought black people can't vote because they have no valid ID?

What a stupid thread, oh wait it's leftist Newsweek
That is what you get for thinking.

On Tuesday, the Missouri Supreme Court upheld the lower court’s ruling, which found the affidavit’s language to be unconstitutional.

“Although the State has an interest in combating voter fraud, requiring individuals voting under option two to sign a contradictory, misleading affidavit is not a reasonable means to accomplish that goal,” Judge Mary Russell wrote in the court’s affirmative opinion.

The long lines are only in areas where black people live
Manufactured BULLSHIT. I've often had to wait in long lines.

And humans can survive between 1 & 2 WEEKS without food or water. Thinking people waiting in a line need food or water is beyond stupid.

Recreational Outrage is a stupid past time

Sympathy begets a return.

"Have a bottle of water, brother, the demoquack candidate appreciates your efforts"

It's not rocket science

And humans can survive between 1 & 2 WEEKS without food or water. Thinking people waiting in a line need food or water is beyond stupid.

It's not manufactured at all. In Georgia at least, line waits have exceed 5 hours and Georgia has steadily been reducing the number of places where you can vote which exacerbates the problem.

Is five hours normal for you? Is it acceptable? I've never waited longer than about 20 minutes.

I waited almost 30 minutes in November, but the turnout was massive, before that I never waited more than 15 minutes in the previous 42 years.

Very dumb!

Again, read the OP and the links. The bill includes much more than the water and food thing.

Sigh, I KNOW that!

But I was reacting to someone else over one section of the bill.

You write this confusing statement which is why I replied to you that way, since I was talking about voting lines:

This is absurd, no one should be waiting for many hours to spend 2 minutes to vote.
I agree

or should it takes days or weeks to count the vote

do counties take the dumbest government workers they cant fire and put them in the elections dept?

"Have a bottle of water, brother, the demoquack candidate appreciates your efforts"

It's not rocket science
You think someone determined enough to stand in line for hours to vote will change their minds because someone hands them a bottle of water? I don't think so.

It's not rocket science
You think someone determined enough to stand in line for hours to vote will change their minds because someone hands them a bottle of water? I don't think so.

Your limited thinking process is questionable

Last edited:

Further proof of the right’s contempt for the right to vote and of conservatives’ efforts to suppress the right to vote.

Republicans will do anything – no matter how wrong or reprehensible – to maintain minority rule contrary to the will of the people.

It also shows they know they can't win if Americans vote.

They know the only way they can win is if they prevent as many democrats from voting as possible.

If I was a regular republican voter, that alone would make me not vote for a republican.

The proper way to win elections is to have a platform that the majority of the people agree with and want to implement.

We haven't had a government by the people, of the people and for the people in a very long time.

I agree

do counties take the dumbest government workers they cant fire and put them in the elections dept?

Vote counting have gotten longer over the years. It used to be that before year 2000, we knew who won the Presidential election by midnight of voting day and for all Congressional elections as well.

Very dumb!
Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August, you’ll be motivated to get out of that line and give up when your dehydration makes you sick. You might even end up passing out and getting transported to the ER. That’s gonna suppress your vote. This isn’t rocket science.
I live in Arizona. People here are smart enough to carry water when they go outside during the summer. If Georgia's citizens are too stupid to carry water in the summer heat, they deserve what they get. If you don't want to wait in long lines, get your ass out of bed and show up early. I hate to wait in lines for anything, so that's what I do.

The long lines are only in areas where black people live.
Sez who?

this long line includes plenty of white people though I doubt if any polling place in georgia could live up to the 12-hours some libs are claiming

View attachment 464757Hundreds of people wait in line for early voting on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Marietta, Georgia. Eager voters have waited six hours or more in the former Republican stronghold of Cobb County, and lines have wrapped around buildings in solidly Democratic DeKalb County. | AP Images
I've seen worse lines in Disneyland and Magic Mountain.

I agree

Vote counting have gotten longer over the years. It used to be that before year 2000, we knew who won the Presidential election by midnight of voting day and for all Congressional elections as well.

Our population keeps increasing and more people are voting. It's not the poll workers who are the issue, no need to blame them. Many areas need more polling places.

There are also very real issues for voting in rural areas where the population is widespread, for example on a number of tribal reservations. These people often depend on a relative or friend to take their ballots to a polling place that maybe a hundred mile drive.

Addressing the issues that prevent voting rather than creating more obstacles to it should be the priority imo, and can be addressed while still maintaining election integrity.

I agree

Our population keeps increasing and more people are voting. It's not the poll workers who are the issue, no need to blame them. Many areas need more polling places.

There are also very real issues for voting in rural areas where the population is widespread, for example on a number of tribal reservations. These people often depend on a relative or friend to take their ballots to a polling place that maybe a hundred mile drive.

Addressing the issues that prevent voting rather than creating more obstacles to it should be the priority imo, and can be addressed while still maintaining election integrity.

The problems are at the feet of the County and state governments. They should have kept up with the changes over the years, but they haven't which is why we are getting more frustrated by their failures to do a simple thing in maintaining a simple set up.

They know the only way they can win is if they prevent as many democrats from voting as possible
Not Democrats persay but IDIOTS. When you were a child did your parents allow you to vote on the family budget? Or when you need automobile repairs to you goto the dentist for help?

People who don't understand the issues should not have a say in designing MY FUTURE via their uninformed vote.

Forum List

Back