Georgia Bill Would Criminalize Giving Food and Water to Voters Waiting in Long Lines

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

If I lived in Georgia I would give out water and food for a penny or a barter.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!

Come on man they all mailed in their vote

It’s the Republicans in Georgia who wrote and pushed the no excuses absentee ballots to begin with. Republicans have always used the absentee ballot to drive voter turnout. Now that the Democrats are using it, they want to take it away. It will end up hurting them, too.
They should be writing legislation to address the issues that are causing hours long lines at polling places in these neighborhoods, rather than legislation prohibiting providing water to voters waiting hours in the heat, or food to voters waiting hours in any weather. But of course they don’t want to, they’ve been using these tactics of voter suppression very aggressively since Shelby v. Holder, removing hundreds of polling places from poor and minority neighborhoods.
Republicans are now full on anti democracy, which equates to being anti American.

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August, you’ll be motivated to get out of that line and give up when your dehydration makes you sick. You might even end up passing out and getting transported to the ER. That’s gonna suppress your vote. This isn’t rocket science.

It’s the Republicans in Georgia who wrote and pushed the no excuses absentee ballots to begin with. Republicans have always used the absentee ballot to drive voter turnout. Now that the Democrats are using it, they want to take it away. It will end up hurting them, too.
They should be writing legislation to address the issues that are causing hours long lines at polling places in these neighborhoods, rather than legislation prohibiting providing water to voters waiting hours in the heat, or food to voters waiting hours in any weather. But of course they don’t want to, they’ve been using these tactics of voter suppression very aggressively since Shelby v. Holder, removing hundreds of polling places from poor and minority neighborhoods.
Republicans are now full on anti democracy, which equates to being anti American.
Voting is responsibility also. We are passed the point in many areas where voting for begging should be the norm. The founders knew this. They were not mean. And they lived in a time where what was normal then is not normal now. The Western Hemisphere has some of the lushest and richest lands with minerals and fertile lands in the world. Yet poverty exists in many nations that should not. And for some reason people coming here form there live the same way!

Voting is responsibility also. We are passed the point in many areas where voting for begging should be the norm. The founders knew this. They were not mean. And they lived in a time where what was normal then is not normal now. The Western Hemisphere has some of the lushest and richest lands with minerals and fertile lands in the world. Yet poverty exists in many nations that should not. And for some reason people coming here form there live the same way!
I’m having a hard time understanding your point.
Yes voting is a responsibility - but voters shouldn’t be expected to spend half a day in line in inclement weather conditions to vote, as was the case in Georgia and several other jurisdictions that have aggressively limited polling locations post-Shelby, the Supreme Court decision that gutted the Voting Rights Act. Many poor voters can’t get that much time off work, or childcare for that many hours.A voter shouldn’t have to bring a chair, cooler of drinks and food, etc. to vote in America. We have the capacity to provide enough polling locations that voters would wait at most an hour in line to vote.
I have never waited more than 15 minutes to vote, in the several jurisdictions where I have lived in my adult life. I haven’t lived in poor minority neighborhoods in states where Republican controlled legislatures were taking every legal action to suppress the vote. This is not accidental, this is entirely intentional. It’s morally reprehensible.

Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August, you’ll be motivated to get out of that line and give up when your dehydration makes you sick. You might even end up passing out and getting transported to the ER. That’s gonna suppress your vote. This isn’t rocket science.
7, 8, 12 hours! Well damn!

Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August,
I get a gateway 504 error when i try to read the link

so I’m flying blind here

but I’d be surprised if anyone stood in line 12 hours

Why don't people just bring their own food and water if they want it? And then they can take the packaging with them when they leave. Do you really think that the neighbors of the voting precinct really want to see littering, rats and other ill effects of food sales?

Because if you have to wait in line for 7, 8, 12 hours in the blazing heat of a Georgia primary election in August,
I get a gateway 504 error when i try to read the link

so I’m flying blind here

but I’d be surprised if anyone stood in line 12 hours
This was in the article:
"New voting restriction bill that passed the Georgia House makes it a misdemeanor to give food or water to people waiting in line to vote. The same Georgia that makes some people wait 10+ hours in line to vote..."

Kind of hard to believe, but if its on the internet it must be true.

Very dumb!
Restrictions on mail in voting are voter supression. It's just that simple

Very dumb!

What's wrong with Suppressing illegal votes and election fraud? With mail in ballots, its extremely difficult to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt who exactly is voting. And further, the libs don't even pretend to make an effort in validation of mail in voting.

Georgia register 360,000 new voters last year.. The hard core Republicans want to stop people from voting.

Very dumb!

What's wrong with Suppressing illegal votes and election fraud? With mail in ballots, its extremely difficult to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt who exactly is voting. And further, the libs don't even pretend to make an effort in validation of mail in voting.

There were NO illegal voters.. You have to stop listening to Trump's lies. In 2016 he claimed 3 to 5 million illegals voted.

The long lines are only in areas where black people live.
Sez who?

this long line includes plenty of white people though I doubt if any polling place in georgia could live up to the 12-hours some libs are claiming

1615050642449.jpeg
Hundreds of people wait in line for early voting on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Marietta, Georgia. Eager voters have waited six hours or more in the former Republican stronghold of Cobb County, and lines have wrapped around buildings in solidly Democratic DeKalb County. | AP Images

Forum List

Back