Georgia Bill Would Criminalize Giving Food and Water to Voters Waiting in Long Lines

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

Evidence, please.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

If I lived in Georgia I would give out water and food for a penny or a barter.

The "journalist" didn't bother to explain why the provision was put in, but I would guess it's over concern about people, primarily indigent, being "bribed" to show up to vote with the promise of receiving something in return.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression.

How?

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

Already the law in many states.

This is just sick and wrong. The long lines are only in areas where black people live.

As I was reading it I saw there was no wording that said the food and beverage can't be sold. Then got to the end of the article which mentions just that.

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

The law also restricts no excuse absentee voting to people over 65, no cell phones can be used, and no candidates can enter certain polling places.

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Sunday voting and refreshments while waiting in long lines are two things associated with black voters, souls-to-polls.

A Republican Administration is proposing ending Sunday voting and criminalize offering food or water to voters in line.

And they are a group more likely to vote Democrat.

What do you think is the purpose of this proposal?

Evidence, please.

The "journalist" didn't bother to explain why the provision was put in, but I would guess it's over concern about people, primarily indigent, being "bribed" to show up to vote with the promise of receiving something in return.

How?

Why was it never a concern before?

Encouraging people to show up to vote is not criminal as long as there is no associated politicking involved.

If it IS a problem, then why not do something about the long lines?

This is clear and blatant vote suppression. If it passes it should be challenged in court.

Why don't people just bring their own food and water if they want it? And then they can take the packaging with them when they leave. Do you really think that the neighbors of the voting precinct really want to see littering, rats and other ill effects of food sales?

Yes....straw man arguments.......

Evidence, please.

How?

Encouraging people to show up to vote is not criminal as long as there is no associated politicking involved.

I can't speak for the specific reasons in Georgia why they are now implementing a provision like that, but giving people something in return for showing up to vote certainly raises ethical concerns. I can remember times when I was volunteering at polls hearing reports of city union members bribing homeless people with cigarettes and food if they'd show up and vote for their endorsed candidate.

And yes, if lines are too long they should be adding more voting booths or additional polling places.

An article on Georgia’s decreasing number of polling places. According to the article, the reduction has taken place across racial lines but hit minority districts disproportionately due to an increase in voter registration and voting in those areas. More people becoming involved in the process of voting.

Seems to me Georgia should be addressing THIS problem (as shortage of places to vote) rather working on means of preventing or discouraging voting either by other means, like by absentee ballot or by making it even more onerous (ending Sunday voting or shortening hours or days of voting).

Evidence, please.

How?

I can't speak for the specific reasons in Georgia why they are now implementing a provision like that, but giving people something in return for showing up to vote certainly raises ethical concerns. I can remember times when I was volunteering at polls hearing reports of city union members bribing homeless people with cigarettes and food if they'd show up and vote for their endorsed candidate.

And yes, if lines are too long they should be adding more voting booths or additional polling places.

I can see that as a problem overall, and there are strict rules for no politicking etc. at the polls and I do agree with that. But I think it can be done in a non-partisan/rule breaking way.

Waiting in line for 5 hours is crazy. I've never waited longer than 20 mins to vote. Voting is shouldn't be equivalent to a marathon.

Last edited:

Further proof of the right’s contempt for the right to vote and of conservatives’ efforts to suppress the right to vote.

Republicans will do anything – no matter how wrong or reprehensible – to maintain minority rule contrary to the will of the people.

The long lines are only in areas where black people live
Manufactured BULLSHIT. I've often had to wait in long lines.

And humans can survive between 1 & 2 WEEKS without food or water. Thinking people waiting in a line need food or water is beyond stupid.

Recreational Outrage is a stupid past time

It's not manufactured at all. In Georgia at least, line waits have exceed 5 hours and Georgia has steadily been reducing the number of places where you can vote which exacerbates the problem.

Is five hours normal for you? Is it acceptable? I've never waited longer than about 20 minutes.

The long lines are only in areas where black people live.
Sez who?

this long line includes plenty of white people though I doubt if any polling place in georgia could live up to the 12-hours some libs are claiming

View attachment 464757Hundreds of people wait in line for early voting on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, in Marietta, Georgia. Eager voters have waited six hours or more in the former Republican stronghold of Cobb County, and lines have wrapped around buildings in solidly Democratic DeKalb County. | AP Images

Maybe the GOP will provide wheelchairs for seniors who can't stand for 6 hours.

Evidence, please.

How?

Clearly these questions are rhetorical, you’ll receive no honest answers from the right.

Republicans want to make voting as difficult as possible, predicated on the racist, wrongheaded notion that likely Democratic voters – a significant number of whom are Americans of color – are less inclined to vote and prone to abandoning voting if the process is difficult and protracted; fewer Democratic voters benefit Republican candidates.

How can it be voter suppression when they are already at the polls waiting in line to vote?

I had to wait over 30 minutes in line last November, yet I voted as everyone else who was there.

I do agree that making this law section is silly, but other parts are badly needed.

On Page 51, a section prohibits giving free food or drinks to voters waiting in line, among other restrictions. Doing so, would result in a misdemeanor.

Very dumb!
Sunday voting and refreshments while waiting in long lines are two things associated with black voters, souls-to-polls.

A Republican Administration is proposing ending Sunday voting and criminalize offering food or water to voters in line.

Seriously.

What does food and water have to do with fraudulent or illegal voting?

The republicans create the long lines, now they want to make it illegal for people to give those in that line water and food.

People stand in the sun for hours. They need water and food. The health issue alone should be very good grounds to reverse this law if it passes.

It's discrimination to only allow one group to be able to vote by no excuse absentee. Not everyone is being treated the equally under the law. That would be very good grounds to reverse the law too.

I will never understand why people vote for republicans.

Evidence, please.

How?

I dont know the reasoning for prohibiting the handing out of water

but I’m surprised no one has mentioned the problem of biden voters holding their pee for 12 hours

thats remarkable

it seems to me the last thing they need is water or coffee

but seriously I think the lines were long and that is only one of many voting issues that need to be examined in red and blue states

Souls to the Polls? Yeah, they'll take that away too!

Very dumb!
Restrictions on mail in voting are voter supression. It's just that simple

What restrictions? I am in Maryland. In 2020, I made sure my registration was up to date. I then requested a ballot, it was sent to me. I completed it and mailed it in. I never felt suppressed or restricted. I do have a problem with the scenario whereby I don't request a mail in ballot and am sent one. What happens if I am no longer living in the district? Conceptually, in this scenario, the only cross-check or verification is that I am on a registration list that they have. Adding the requirement that I request a ballot either through phone call, online, written mail, or power of attorney, helps reduce the risk. How is that restrictive? It is still "mail-in" voting.

Very dumb!
Restrictions on mail in voting are voter supression. It's just that simple

What restrictions? I am in Maryland. In 2020, I made sure my registration was up to date. I then requested a ballot, it was sent to me. I completed it and mailed it in. I never felt suppressed or restricted. I do have a problem with the scenario whereby I don't request a mail in ballot and am sent one. What happens if I am no longer living in the district? Conceptually, in this scenario, the only cross-check or verification is that I am on a registration list that they have. Adding the requirement that I request a ballot either through phone call, online, written mail, or power of attorney, helps reduce the risk. How is that restrictive? It is still "mail-in" voting.
Read the OP, try again.

Forum List

Back