Does the Bible speak about cults?

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Is the Bible and God capable of advising on that?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
The bible is the most successful cult book of all time.
That's generally how militant atheists such as yourself see it.
All they want is to control you and to take your money in a steady flow.
Darwin says otherwise, dummy.
Darwin talks about the bible? Got a link?
Darwin talks about why things exist and continue to exist, dummy. Having a discussion with you is like having a discussion with a 8 year old who thinks he's clever.

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
All religions are cults to some degree
The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

like I said all religions are cults
Yes. But probably not in the sense you think they are.

you have no clue what I think.

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.
No that's you making value judgments where I made none.

I merely stated a fact.
Well your fact is wrong as by definition ALL religions are cults and you have still yet to define by what you mean as cults.

you just agreed with me that all religions are cults.

And you can look up the definition of the word can't you?

I don't make up definitions.

You didn't say ALL religions are cults. I did.

I can look up definitions. I can't read your mind. So for all I know you think cults are Jim Jones types.

Of course you could settle all of this by just saying what you think a cult means.
I said all religions are cults to some degree.
Stop lying.
There is no some degree. That's called a caveat. There's no caveat. There is no limitation using the original meaning. Now if you mean to say that cults are sinister, then that is an entirely different discussion which would be untrue of all religions to some degree.

It all come down to your use of the word. Are you using cult in a derogatory fashion or it's original meaning which was not derogatory?
Is the definition I provided you not sufficient?>

Jesus was a charismatic leader, his followers were are are deeply devoted to him, there is pomp and ritual, there are shrines etc. Are these things not all part of the definition of a cult?

I am not assigning value judgement to any of this why are you insisting that I must?

And yes there are degrees of absolutely everything. nothing is ever simply black or white no matter how much you need it to be.

The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.

I merely stated a fact.
Well your fact is wrong as by definition ALL religions are cults and you have still yet to define by what you mean as cults.

I can look up definitions. I can't read your mind. So for all I know you think cults are Jim Jones types.

Of course you could settle all of this by just saying what you think a cult means.
Stop lying.
There is no some degree. That's called a caveat. There's no caveat. There is no limitation using the original meaning. Now if you mean to say that cults are sinister, then that is an entirely different discussion which would be untrue of all religions to some degree.

It all come down to your use of the word. Are you using cult in a derogatory fashion or it's original meaning which was not derogatory?

Jesus was a charismatic leader, his followers were are are deeply devoted to him, there is pomp and ritual, there are shrines etc. Are these things not all part of the definition of a cult?

I am not assigning value judgement to any of this why are you insisting that I must?

And yes there are degrees of absolutely everything. nothing is ever simply black or white no matter how much you need it to be.
Yes, it is because I asked a clarifying question. Twice. And explained the distinctions. But don't clarify, it's cool.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

Yes, it is because I asked a clarifying question. Twice. And explained the distinctions. But don't clarify, it's cool.

I am using the definition as it is written with no value judgement so there is nothing to clarify.

It is your fixation on your own value judgments that is not allowing you to accept my position.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

I am using the definition as it is written with no value judgement so there is nothing to clarify.

It is your fixation on your own value judgments that is not allowing you to accept my position.
Again... don't clarify it, it's cool.

The Tanakh talks about and warns of false prophets, idols, false teachers, fallen messiah created from an image of a man, Baal worship, old teachings(wine), mixed teachings, sorcery and necromancer, but it's the Talmud which historically records and warns of cultism and Josephus records history of various cult (christ) figures as well.
The term later confused as Nazarene (a place that didn't exist until 90ad) was
"HaNotzrim" meaning "off shoot"-cult.
Some of these cults were followers of Yeshu son of Mary of 100bc, followers of Yehuda ben Tabbai around that same 100bc era influencing medieval writers later came to be known as Karaite Judaism, followers of Yehuda the Galilean Christ who died in 6bc, followers of Shimon, Followers of John later known as Mandeans, followers of the ad era Christ Theudas died around 45ad.
Christianity is basically a compilation of all those who followed a christ combined into Romes one world religion they could rule through under a mask the created image of a fallen man given a new name. All the contradicting events are that which occur from compiling all their accts that span era, towns, descriptions, followers, professions, and death scene accts.

Darwin talks about why things exist and continue to exist, dummy. Having a discussion with you is like having a discussion with a 8 year old who thinks he's clever.
You never provide a link and I don't ever take your word for anything because you can never back up anything you say. Ever.

A cult can be described as an insular religious or political practice that seeks to become your only support structure supplanting your family and the wider community. Would you turn your back on family if they didn't want to be part of your belief system? That's how you know someone is in a cult.

We have seen many threads on this where it comes to ones politics. Families falling apart over politics.
Absolutely. I have certain relatives who bought into Trumpism in a big way. They were already annoyingly hyper-christian so it was not a stretch. I don't miss them at all and I don't feel bad that they quit talking to me and retreated into their own little world where they get their political opinions from the pulpit.
I have a few of those in my family. I on the other hand feel a great deal of pain at their absence. There is no one in my family willing to argue Bible with me but politics is a different story. Some of my family that fell into this new cult were quite pleasant to be around before. I miss them.

You never provide a link and I don't ever take your word for anything because you can never back up anything you say. Ever.
That's OK because you denying things that are obvious like if religion did not serve a purpose which provided functional advantages it would have ceased to exist a long time ago only makes you look dumb.

So you can keep making dumb arguments and I'll keep making my points.

That's OK because you denying things that are obvious like if religion did not serve a purpose which provided functional advantages it would have ceased to exist a long time ago only makes you look dumb.

That you have to name call shows a high degree of immaturity, that and that you know that you're arguments can't be backed up properly and that frustrates you, so just project the juvenile insults on me. Want me to back this up with scientific papers? :biggrin:

That you have to name call shows a high degree of immaturity, that and that you know that you're arguments can't be backed up properly and that frustrates you, so just project the juvenile insults on me. Want me to back this up with scientific papers? :biggrin:
But you really are a dummy, Taz. Everyone knows it but you.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

On which part of the definition do you need clarification?

But you really are a dummy, Taz. Everyone knows it but you.
Does that make me dumber than you are? Or are you still dumber, like usual? :biggrin:
Maybe on some things, but generally, no. You display your ignorance and poor manners on a daily basis.

I sleep like a baby at night knowing that you are suffering through life and will continue to do so until you change your ways.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

Your intent on using the word.

Jesus warned us about "wolves in sheep's clothing". The Epistles are littered with warnings of false doctrine. The most notable cults are Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

You mean the intent you think I have.

I told you i am using the word as defined in the dictionary. I gave you a link to that definition.

I am not attaching any subjective value judgement to the word but you seem to insist that I am.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

I told you i am using the word as defined in the dictionary. I gave you a link to that definition.

I am not attaching any subjective value judgement to the word but you seem to insist that I am.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

I have clarified you just refuse to accept it.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

I have clarified you just refuse to accept it.
Not sure how many different ways I can say it but no lo aclares, es genial.

Forum List

Back