Zone1 Can someone explain the "Two Thieves on Calvary Hill" story from the Bible?

My puzzlement comes from why thief number 2 leads a terrible life and then based on a two minute death bed repentance gets to spend eternity in Heaven while the other thief said the wrong thing and went to the other place.
The Bible doesn't say what happened to the other criminal. It was a conversation between one of the criminals and Jesus. Nor whether there was any other conversation Jesus had with those two men before all succumbed to a terrible death.

The lesson to be learned from the passage is that we cannot earn our place in Heaven but it is never too late to accept the salvation Jesus offers.

The Bible doesn't say what happened to the other criminal. It was a conversation between one of the criminals and Jesus. Nor whether there was any other conversation Jesus had with those two men before all succumbed to a terrible death.

The lesson to be learned from the passage is that we cannot earn our place in Heaven but it is never too late to accept the salvation Jesus offers.
That's been my struggle with that story and Christianity in general. There are things that just don't make sense to me.

That's been my struggle with that story and Christianity in general. There are things that just don't make sense to me.
But it is simple. One man maligned Jesus. We don't know what happened to him and that is immaterial to the story. The other man defending Jesus from the first one had opportunity to be blessed by Jesus and received assurance of his salvation.

The story teaches that we cannot earn our way to heaven but it is never too late to receive the salvation Jesus offers.

We don't need to make it any more complicated than that.

What is paradise and what is spirit prison? I have never heard either of those terms in the context of Christianity or the AfterLife.
1Peter 3:18-22 with verse 18 where spirit prison is stated. Then read 1Peter 4:5-6.
Paradise: Luke 23:43, 2Corinthians 12:4 and Revelation 2:7.

My recollection from Bible school is murky but this is what I recall: One thief said to Jesus "If you are the God you say you are, then why don't you save yourself and us from this misery?" The second thief said (I think) "We don't deserve to be saved I accept the punishment for what I've done. It is wrong for you to expect Jesus to save us." The first thief went to Hell but the second thief went to Heaven.

Can a Christian explain their understanding of this bible story? I could certainly be incorrect on my recounting, but this is one that has always puzzled me.
The two thieves represent all of humanity. We are all suffering and dying to one degree or the other, and nothing can stop this. All have sinned and deserve death and suffering. However, the one to the right of Jesus asked him to remember him when he enters his kingdom, while the other curses Jesus up one side and down the other as he demands that Jesus save him from the torture and death if he really has the power to do so or he will not believe that he is the Christ.

We all must decide which thief we want to be. Reaching out to faith in Christ is the key to salvation.

Both men were guilty. One mocked Jesus while the other believed. One was saved. It's pretty much a picture of life.

My puzzlement comes from why thief number 2 leads a terrible life and then based on a two minute death bed repentance gets to spend eternity in Heaven while the other thief said the wrong thing and went to the other place.
because Jesus saves, not our works....

Matthew 20:1-16

King James Version

20 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

All have sinned and deserve death and suffering.
I fundamentally do not believe this. I have not done anything in my life that deserves eternal damnation and torture. This has never made any sense to me and it still does not. I don't want to offend any Christians that is not my intent.

I fundamentally do not believe this. I have not done anything in my life that deserves eternal damnation and torture. This has never made any sense to me and it still does not. I don't want to offend any Christians that is not my intent.
Set aside the notion of eternal damnation and torture. Catholics describe hell as a choice. Those who have no wish to spend eternity with God will not be forced to do so, they can choose separation.

What best suits you? An eternity serving God and one's fellowman or an eternity exempt from this?

1Peter 3:18-22 with verse 18 where spirit prison is stated. Then read 1Peter 4:5-6.
Paradise: Luke 23:43, 2Corinthians 12:4 and Revelation 2:7.
So out of the entire 1500 pages of the Bible there are just a handful of verses that describe Paradise and Spirit Prison? Are they different from Heaven and Hell?

So out of the entire 1500 pages of the Bible there are just a handful of verses that describe Paradise and Spirit Prison? Are they different from Heaven and Hell?
Ya, the best way I’ve seen it said is spirit prison is divided into to parts, paradise and hell. Two waiting places for the judgment and resurrection. Both places have preaching and teaching going on. There is so much I want to know, Don’t you?
After the resurrection there will be two places. Heaven and Perdition. Heaven is divided into 3 levels. Paul saw the 3rd Heaven. He names 3 glories or levels of heaven in First Corinthians chapter 15. Have no idea what Perdition is like. It’s where Satan and Cane are.

Ya, the best way I’ve seen it said is spirit prison is divided into to parts, paradise and hell. Two waiting places for the judgment and resurrection. Both places have preaching and teaching going on. There is so much I want to know, Don’t you?
After the resurrection there will be two places. Heaven and Perdition. Heaven is divided into 3 levels. Paul saw the 3rd Heaven. He names 3 glories or levels of heaven in First Corinthians chapter 15. Have no idea what Perdition is like. It’s where Satan and Cane are.
It seems more likely to me these places came out of the minds of humans and not the Creator. Again no offense intended, the Christian religious text is vast and confusing.

It seems more likely to me these places came out of the minds of humans and not the Creator. Again no offense intended, the Christian religious text is vast and confusing.
That’s why it takes two or more witnesses. We have them. We have four books of scripture. One is another witness and testament of Jesus Christ. But, it’s really not confusing. I just read the words and can figure it out. You should be able to do this too. Read the text again.

That’s why it takes two or more witnesses. We have them. We have four books of scripture. One is another witness and testament of Jesus Christ. But, it’s really not confusing. I just read the words and can figure it out. You should be able to do this too. Read the text again.
Judaism makes more sense to me.

Judaism teaches that the afterlife is dependent on how one lived during their time on Earth. The belief is that God will judge them and those who have lived a good life will go to Heaven and those who have sinned will go to Hell.

Judaism makes more sense to me.

Judaism teaches that the afterlife is dependent on how one lived during their time on Earth. The belief is that God will judge them and those who have lived a good life will go to Heaven and those who have sinned will go to Hell.
So does Christianity. Don’t give me that. The difference is that there are tens of billions that never heard of the God of Israel and may have not had the ordinances and rites given to them. The three verses I gave you shows the love Jesus has for our Father’s children and his brethren and friends. Does Judaism give this opportunity?

My recollection from Bible school is murky but this is what I recall: One thief said to Jesus "If you are the God you say you are, then why don't you save yourself and us from this misery?" The second thief said (I think) "We don't deserve to be saved I accept the punishment for what I've done. It is wrong for you to expect Jesus to save us." The first thief went to Hell but the second thief went to Heaven.

Can a Christian explain their understanding of this bible story? I could certainly be incorrect on my recounting, but this is one that has always puzzled me.
one thief, Sticky Joe and thief two, his other brother Joe both burned in Hell each trying to blame the other brother. That's how I remember it.

The thieves, I think, were actually revolutionaries. The one to his right didn't ask to be saved, he said Jesus, unlike them, was innocent. All he asked was that Jesus remember him when he enters his Kingdom. Faith, humility, and a good heart. He is the only person in the Bible we are sure went to heaven.

Forum List

Back