Does the Bible speak about cults?

It's pretty much a yes or no question that goes to your intent. I can only get your intent by you answering a simple question.

But hey, if you want to complain about bulldog and do the exact same thing bulldog is doing, be my guest.

Bulldog refused to give me a definition. I gave you the definition of the word i used.

You just refuse to accept it and that's your own issue and not mine.

I am not placing any value judgements on religion in this thread yet you want to infer that.
There were multiple meaning for the definition provided. You failed to specify which one you were using. The top definition was derogatory. The original definition, which is now down the list of meanings in the definition you provided, is not derogatory.

You refuse to answer if you intended to use the definition in a derogatory fashion. You are still doing it, bulldog.
I don't think the first definition was derogatory. There was a time where people did think monotheistic religions were unorthodox and spurious.

I may think that all religions are spurious but I am not making that argument in this thread.

So even though every other listed definition applies to religions you are fixated on just one and you are insisting that I am implying something I am not.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you I am not making value judgements here and that you yourself said all religions are cults
Look up the definition for the word spurious.

Or you could just be disingenuous and deny that cult now has a derogatory meaning and that is how you meant to use it.
You do like to fixate don't you?

So I said I am not making value judgements and the the adjective spurious implies a value judgement. So if i say I am not making value judgements maybe you should take that as my intent and not fixate on the subjective definitions of the word
Of course you are making a value judgement. I have had enough conversations with you in the past to know that you do not value religion.

Your problem is that you are having a discussion on religion and you have provided a definition which has multiple meanings and you have gone on record as saying your use of the word is captured in the definition but you refuse to identify the specific definition you are using. That makes what you are doing no different than what bulldog did to you.

So while you could easily see that bulldog was being disingenuous, you can't see how you are doing the exact same thing he did.

I disagree. I specifically stated that I was not making any value judgements in this thread. And I haven't. And since I have repeatedly told you I was implying no value judgements you should have been able to infer that I was ignoring the parts of the definition that was subjective but you couldn't do that could you?

It's true that I have no use for gods but not all cults are based on the belief in a supreme being.

Some people say Buddhism is a cult and yet Buddhism is a non-theistic philosophy.

So yes all religions are cults and that is not a value judgement it is a fact and one with which you have agreed.

And I ask people to define their terms all the time and since the term gun nut is 100% subjective, unlike the definition of cult, there was good reason to ask Bulldog to define his terms.
So then you must have been using the word "cult" to mean...

3: a system of religious beliefs
4: formal religious veneration :
WORSHIP

Right?

Yes the part of the definition you chose to ignore which is much closer to the etymology of the word than the subjective use of the word today

It's pretty much a yes or no question that goes to your intent. I can only get your intent by you answering a simple question.

But hey, if you want to complain about bulldog and do the exact same thing bulldog is doing, be my guest.

Bulldog refused to give me a definition. I gave you the definition of the word i used.

I am not placing any value judgements on religion in this thread yet you want to infer that.
There were multiple meaning for the definition provided. You failed to specify which one you were using. The top definition was derogatory. The original definition, which is now down the list of meanings in the definition you provided, is not derogatory.

You refuse to answer if you intended to use the definition in a derogatory fashion. You are still doing it, bulldog.
I don't think the first definition was derogatory. There was a time where people did think monotheistic religions were unorthodox and spurious.

I may think that all religions are spurious but I am not making that argument in this thread.

So even though every other listed definition applies to religions you are fixated on just one and you are insisting that I am implying something I am not.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you I am not making value judgements here and that you yourself said all religions are cults

Or you could just be disingenuous and deny that cult now has a derogatory meaning and that is how you meant to use it.

So I said I am not making value judgements and the the adjective spurious implies a value judgement. So if i say I am not making value judgements maybe you should take that as my intent and not fixate on the subjective definitions of the word
Of course you are making a value judgement. I have had enough conversations with you in the past to know that you do not value religion.

Your problem is that you are having a discussion on religion and you have provided a definition which has multiple meanings and you have gone on record as saying your use of the word is captured in the definition but you refuse to identify the specific definition you are using. That makes what you are doing no different than what bulldog did to you.

So while you could easily see that bulldog was being disingenuous, you can't see how you are doing the exact same thing he did.

I disagree. I specifically stated that I was not making any value judgements in this thread. And I haven't. And since I have repeatedly told you I was implying no value judgements you should have been able to infer that I was ignoring the parts of the definition that was subjective but you couldn't do that could you?

It's true that I have no use for gods but not all cults are based on the belief in a supreme being.

Some people say Buddhism is a cult and yet Buddhism is a non-theistic philosophy.

So yes all religions are cults and that is not a value judgement it is a fact and one with which you have agreed.

And I ask people to define their terms all the time and since the term gun nut is 100% subjective, unlike the definition of cult, there was good reason to ask Bulldog to define his terms.

WORSHIP

Right?

Yes the part of the definition you chose to ignore which is much closer to the etymology of the word than the subjective use of the word today
I didn't ignore any of them, dummy. It was you who ignored the derogatory meanings. I asked you to clarify because there were different material meanings. Which you refused to do like bulldog did to you.

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Is the Bible and God capable of advising on that?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
A cult is any organization or personality that is put above God. In other words, it is idolatry and idolatry is covered extensively in the Bible.

This means that virtually any organization, even Christian ones, are susceptible to it.

You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship

WORSHIP

Right?

I didn't ignore any of them, dummy. It was you who ignored the derogatory meanings. I asked you to clarify because there were different material meanings. Which you refused to do like bulldog did to you.
of course you did you fixated on just one of the definitions. You were obsessed with the most subjective definition of the word even though I repesatedly told you I was not making any subjective value judgements

And I do not find the words unorthodox or spurious to be particularly derogatory.

WORSHIP

Right?

of course you did you fixated on just one of the definitions. You were obsessed with the most subjective definition of the word even though I repesatedly told you I was not making any subjective value judgements

And I do not find the words unorthodox or spurious to be particularly derogatory.
You are wrong again. I started with what the original definition of "cult" was and explained that the definition evolved into something derogatory. Both definitions are included in the link you provided; the original non-derogatory definition and the newer derogatory definition. Which is why I was asking to clarify your use of the word. I wasn't fixated on anything. I was asking you to clarify what you meant just as you asked bulldog to clarify what he meant. The irony is off the chart.

WORSHIP

Right?

You are wrong again. I started with what the original definition of "cult" was and explained that the definition evolved into something derogatory. Both definitions are included in the link you provided; the original non-derogatory definition and the newer derogatory definition. Which is why I was asking to clarify your use of the word. I wasn't fixated on anything. I was asking you to clarify what you meant just as you asked bulldog to clarify what he meant. The irony is off the chart.
And the fact that I repeatedly told you I was not making value judgements should have clued you in on the definition I was using but you fixated on the word spurious.

And I don't find the word spurious to be derogatory as all it means in inauthentic or untrustworthy.

WORSHIP

Right?

And the fact that I repeatedly told you I was not making value judgements should have clued you in on the definition I was using but you fixated on the word spurious.

And I don't find the word spurious to be derogatory as all it means in inauthentic or untrustworthy.
Does not matter because it does not directly answer the question.

I think you are spurious.

WORSHIP

Right?

This whole thing started because you inferred something incorrectly.

You had it in your head that I was making a value judgement when I repeatedly told you I wasn't.

WORSHIP

Right?

This whole thing started because you inferred something incorrectly.

You had it in your head that I was making a value judgement when I repeatedly told you I wasn't.
Nope.

Forum List

Back