Does the Bible speak about cults?

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Is the Bible and God capable of advising on that?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
All religions are cults to some degree
The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

like I said all religions are cults
Yes. But probably not in the sense you think they are.

you have no clue what I think.

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.
No that's you making value judgments where I made none.

I merely stated a fact.
Well your fact is wrong as by definition ALL religions are cults and you have still yet to define by what you mean as cults.

you just agreed with me that all religions are cults.

And you can look up the definition of the word can't you?

I don't make up definitions.

You didn't say ALL religions are cults. I did.

I can look up definitions. I can't read your mind. So for all I know you think cults are Jim Jones types.

Of course you could settle all of this by just saying what you think a cult means.
I said all religions are cults to some degree.
Stop lying.
There is no some degree. That's called a caveat. There's no caveat. There is no limitation using the original meaning. Now if you mean to say that cults are sinister, then that is an entirely different discussion which would be untrue of all religions to some degree.

It all come down to your use of the word. Are you using cult in a derogatory fashion or it's original meaning which was not derogatory?
Is the definition I provided you not sufficient?>

Jesus was a charismatic leader, his followers were are are deeply devoted to him, there is pomp and ritual, there are shrines etc. Are these things not all part of the definition of a cult?

I am not assigning value judgement to any of this why are you insisting that I must?

And yes there are degrees of absolutely everything. nothing is ever simply black or white no matter how much you need it to be.
Yes, it is because I asked a clarifying question. Twice. And explained the distinctions. But don't clarify, it's cool.

I am using the definition as it is written with no value judgement so there is nothing to clarify.

It is your fixation on your own value judgments that is not allowing you to accept my position.
Again... don't clarify it, it's cool.
On which part of the definition do you need clarification?
Your intent on using the word.

You mean the intent you think I have.

I told you i am using the word as defined in the dictionary. I gave you a link to that definition.

I am not attaching any subjective value judgement to the word but you seem to insist that I am.

I have clarified you just refuse to accept it.
Not sure how many different ways I can say it but no lo aclares, es genial.

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.

I merely stated a fact.
Well your fact is wrong as by definition ALL religions are cults and you have still yet to define by what you mean as cults.

I can look up definitions. I can't read your mind. So for all I know you think cults are Jim Jones types.

Of course you could settle all of this by just saying what you think a cult means.
Stop lying.
There is no some degree. That's called a caveat. There's no caveat. There is no limitation using the original meaning. Now if you mean to say that cults are sinister, then that is an entirely different discussion which would be untrue of all religions to some degree.

It all come down to your use of the word. Are you using cult in a derogatory fashion or it's original meaning which was not derogatory?

Jesus was a charismatic leader, his followers were are are deeply devoted to him, there is pomp and ritual, there are shrines etc. Are these things not all part of the definition of a cult?

I am not assigning value judgement to any of this why are you insisting that I must?

And yes there are degrees of absolutely everything. nothing is ever simply black or white no matter how much you need it to be.
Yes, it is because I asked a clarifying question. Twice. And explained the distinctions. But don't clarify, it's cool.

I am using the definition as it is written with no value judgement so there is nothing to clarify.

It is your fixation on your own value judgments that is not allowing you to accept my position.

I told you i am using the word as defined in the dictionary. I gave you a link to that definition.

I am not attaching any subjective value judgement to the word but you seem to insist that I am.

Not to my satisfaction and the person asking for clarification is the one who decides if what they were told is clear, not the one who is intentionally being obtuse.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

Not to my satisfaction and the person asking for clarification is the one who decides if what they were told is clear, not the one who is intentionally being obtuse.
How is using the definition of a word being obtuse?

You are insisting that I am using the word , which by the way, was chosen by the person starting the thread and not me, with some sort of underlying connotation. I am not.

I made a statement of fact which you agreed with and you still need clarification?

It seems that you are the one who is being obtuse and I'm not even sure if it is deliberate.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

You are insisting that I am using the word , which by the way, was chosen by the person starting the thread and not me, with some sort of underlying connotation. I am not.

I made a statement of fact which you agreed with and you still need clarification?

It seems that you are the one who is being obtuse and I'm not even sure if it is deliberate.
Is your intent to use cult in a derogatory fashion?

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

It is my intent to use the word as defined . Do you think the definition I provided is derogatory?

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

It is my intent to use the word as defined . Do you think the definition I provided is derogatory?
Yes. The top definition is derogatory. Or don't you know what spurious means?

Which is why I keep asking you what you meant.

Consider what Colossians chapter 2 has to say regarding cult regulations:
Berean Study BiblePar ▾
Absent in Body, Present in Spirit
(Revelation 3:14–22)
1For I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me face to face, 2that they may be encouraged in heart, knit together in love, and filled with the full riches of complete understanding, so that they may know the mystery of God, namely Christ,a 3in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
4I say this so that no one will deceive you by smooth rhetoric. 5For although I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit, and I delight to see your orderly condition and firm faith in Christ.
Alive with Christ
(Ephesians 2:1–10)
6Therefore, just as you have received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to walk in Him, 7rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
8See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. 9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form. 10And you have been made complete in Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.
11In Him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of your sinful nature, with the circumcision performed by Christb and not by human hands. 12And having been buried with Him in baptism, you were raised with Him through your faith in the power of God, who raised Him from the dead.
13When you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our trespasses, 14having canceled the debt ascribed to us in the decrees that stood against us. He took it away, nailing it to the cross! 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
16Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. 17These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ.c 18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you with speculation about what he has seen. Such a person is puffed up without basis by his unspiritual mind. 19He has lost connection to the head, from whom the whole body, supported and knit together by its joints and ligaments, grows as God causes it to grow.
20If you have died with Christ to the spiritual forces of the world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its regulations: 21“Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!”? 22These will all perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23Such restrictions indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-prescribed worship, their false humility, and their harsh treatment of the body; but they are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

It also says unorthodox and at one time monotheistic religions were unorthodox.

There are also other meanings which you are ignoring.

And oince again you agreed that all religions are cults so WTF are you harping on?

I merely stated a fact.

Stop lying.

It also says unorthodox and at one time monotheistic religions were unorthodox.

There are also other meanings which you are ignoring.

And oince again you agreed that all religions are cults so WTF are you harping on?
That's why I keep asking you to tell me if you are intending to use cult in a derogatory fashion, bulldog.

It's pretty much a yes or no question that goes to your intent. I can only get your intent by you answering a simple question.

But hey, if you want to complain about bulldog and do the exact same thing bulldog is doing, be my guest.

It's pretty much a yes or no question that goes to your intent. I can only get your intent by you answering a simple question.

But hey, if you want to complain about bulldog and do the exact same thing bulldog is doing, be my guest.

Bulldog refused to give me a definition. I gave you the definition of the word i used.

You just refuse to accept it and that's your own issue and not mine.

I am not placing any value judgements on religion in this thread yet you want to infer that.

Bulldog refused to give me a definition. I gave you the definition of the word i used.

I am not placing any value judgements on religion in this thread yet you want to infer that.
There were multiple meaning for the definition provided. You failed to specify which one you were using. The top definition was derogatory. The original definition, which is now down the list of meanings in the definition you provided, is not derogatory.

You refuse to answer if you intended to use the definition in a derogatory fashion. You are still doing it, bulldog.

Definition of cult

1: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious (see SPURIOUS sense 2)also : its body of adherentsthe voodoo culta satanic cult
2a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)criticizing how the media promotes the cult of celebrityespecially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b: the object of such devotion
c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotionthe singer's cult of fansThe film has a cult following.
3: a system of religious beliefs and ritualalso : its body of adherentsthe cult of Apollo
4: formal religious veneration :
WORSHIP
5: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgatorhealth cults

The top definition is derogatory. The third and fourth definitions are not and are the original definition of cult.

So which definition are you using bulldog ?

There were multiple meaning for the definition provided. You failed to specify which one you were using. The top definition was derogatory. The original definition, which is now down the list of meanings in the definition you provided, is not derogatory.

You refuse to answer if you intended to use the definition in a derogatory fashion. You are still doing it, bulldog.
I don't think the first definition was derogatory. There was a time where people did think monotheistic religions were unorthodox and spurious.

I may think that all religions are spurious but I am not making that argument in this thread.

So even though every other listed definition applies to religions you are fixated on just one and you are insisting that I am implying something I am not.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you I am not making value judgements here and that you yourself said all religions are cults

I don't think the first definition was derogatory. There was a time where people did think monotheistic religions were unorthodox and spurious.

I may think that all religions are spurious but I am not making that argument in this thread.

So even though every other listed definition applies to religions you are fixated on just one and you are insisting that I am implying something I am not.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you I am not making value judgements here and that you yourself said all religions are cults
Look up the definition for the word spurious.

Or you could just be disingenuous and deny that cult now has a derogatory meaning and that is how you meant to use it.

This is the etymological root of the word.

So this is how I use the word. But I do not recant my statement that at one time monotheistic religions were considered unorthodox because they were

Or you could just be disingenuous and deny that cult now has a derogatory meaning and that is how you meant to use it.
You do like to fixate don't you?

So I said I am not making value judgements and the the adjective spurious implies a value judgement. So if i say I am not making value judgements maybe you should take that as my intent and not fixate on the subjective definitions of the word

So I said I am not making value judgements and the the adjective spurious implies a value judgement. So if i say I am not making value judgements maybe you should take that as my intent and not fixate on the subjective definitions of the word
Of course you are making a value judgement. I have had enough conversations with you in the past to know that you do not value religion.

Your problem is that you are having a discussion on religion and you have provided a definition which has multiple meanings and you have gone on record as saying your use of the word is captured in the definition but you refuse to identify the specific definition you are using. That makes what you are doing no different than what bulldog did to you.

So while you could easily see that bulldog was being disingenuous, you can't see how you are doing the exact same thing he did.

Of course you are making a value judgement. I have had enough conversations with you in the past to know that you do not value religion.

Your problem is that you are having a discussion on religion and you have provided a definition which has multiple meanings and you have gone on record as saying your use of the word is captured in the definition but you refuse to identify the specific definition you are using. That makes what you are doing no different than what bulldog did to you.

So while you could easily see that bulldog was being disingenuous, you can't see how you are doing the exact same thing he did.

I disagree. I specifically stated that I was not making any value judgements in this thread. And I haven't. And since I have repeatedly told you I was implying no value judgements you should have been able to infer that I was ignoring the parts of the definition that was subjective but you couldn't do that could you?

It's true that I have no use for gods but not all cults are based on the belief in a supreme being.

Some people say Buddhism is a cult and yet Buddhism is a non-theistic philosophy.

So yes all religions are cults and that is not a value judgement it is a fact and one with which you have agreed.

And I ask people to define their terms all the time and since the term gun nut is 100% subjective, unlike the definition of cult, there was good reason to ask Bulldog to define his terms.

I disagree. I specifically stated that I was not making any value judgements in this thread. And I haven't. And since I have repeatedly told you I was implying no value judgements you should have been able to infer that I was ignoring the parts of the definition that was subjective but you couldn't do that could you?

It's true that I have no use for gods but not all cults are based on the belief in a supreme being.

Some people say Buddhism is a cult and yet Buddhism is a non-theistic philosophy.

So yes all religions are cults and that is not a value judgement it is a fact and one with which you have agreed.

And I ask people to define their terms all the time and since the term gun nut is 100% subjective, unlike the definition of cult, there was good reason to ask Bulldog to define his terms.
So then you must have been using the word "cult" to mean...

3: a system of religious beliefs
4: formal religious veneration :
WORSHIP

Right?

Forum List

Back