CDZ Does anyone really even care anymore?

oldsoul

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2015
Standing with Covington Kids
Let me be blunt. There are plenty of people talking about plenty of things that they "care" about. However, to me at least, the real way to attest to how much you care, and about what, is not in what you say, but in what you DO. So, what is anyone DOING about the things they "care" about? I am not referring to politicians, leaders, academics, or celebrities, I am talking about YOU. I am asking who among us actually DOES something about the things we say we care about? Ask yourself, "What have I done today, this week, this month, or this year, to effect the outcomes in society I wish to see?" How many of us can honestly say we are doing ANYTHING meaningful?

To me, this is one of the fundamental flaws in our current society. We all have things we care about. Many of us are quite vocal about them. How many of us are DOING something to further the struggle we "care" so much about?

I, for one, am doing next to nothing. I am educating myself evermore, but have no real plans to USE that knowledge to further the goals I would like to see met. I can do better.

What say YOU?

agree with Tank , also tru to get out my brand of conservative thinking as best i can , Otherwise , not much , just living life and lucky and happy to be doing that OldSoul .

Let me be blunt. There are plenty of people talking about plenty of things that they "care" about. However, to me at least, the real way to attest to how much you care, and about what, is not in what you say, but in what you DO. So, what is anyone DOING about the things they "care" about? I am not referring to politicians, leaders, academics, or celebrities, I am talking about YOU. I am asking who among us actually DOES something about the things we say we care about? Ask yourself, "What have I done today, this week, this month, or this year, to effect the outcomes in society I wish to see?" How many of us can honestly say we are doing ANYTHING meaningful?

To me, this is one of the fundamental flaws in our current society. We all have things we care about. Many of us are quite vocal about them. How many of us are DOING something to further the struggle we "care" so much about?

I, for one, am doing next to nothing. I am educating myself evermore, but have no real plans to USE that knowledge to further the goals I would like to see met. I can do better.

What say YOU?
How many of us can honestly say we are doing ANYTHING meaningful?

Is it not most people? Really. What do I care about?
  • My kids.
    • I make damn sure they get every bit of guidance and opportunity I can give them. This has been an ongoing activity for some 30 years.
  • My firm.
    • I play an active role in developing junior staff so they can be successful for themselves and for the firm.
  • My community.
    • I use my influence to get done whatever my neighborhood association of me, be it getting increased policing or potholes filled.
    • The pastors of a few churches ask for my help in accomplishing a variety of things, sometimes wanting financial support other times personal involvement in leading an initiative and other times as a participant in a project someone else leads.
    • I contribute annually to my alma mater so that financially needy kids can get an education there and so the school can have first class resources there for the students.
    • When asked to mentor young people, I do so, and occasionally I deliver "how to succeed" lectures at local schools.
    • I adopted two stray kittens.
    • When I have a strong viewpoint about a political matter, I let my councilmember or Congressional Representative know what I think, either privately, in writing, on the phone or by attending the public hearing the matter and speaking up.
    • I invest in "green energy" start ups.
    • I take an active interest in the lives and wellbeing of the people (their families) who work in my home and help them out when and where I can and when they want my help.
    • I don't stand idly by when I see ethical wrongs committed before my eyes.
Some of those things are more meaningful than others, but there'll all some of the things I do in connection with the things I care about. Where I come from it's called "noblesse oblige" but one need not have any "noblesse" to exhibit a bit of "oblige." We all have a duty to carry some weight that isn't our own.

What say YOU?

I say I feel pretty much the same way. I do local volunteer work with local churches and senior center, food banks, and help out in my own neighborhood, get involved in local politics at town and county level; I own a few acres that run through the middle of the block I live on, a little over 20 acres, that I plant a truck garden on a few, graze a heifer or two occasionally, and we and the neighbors have built and maintained a small private park for the neighborhood kids to play in; I built it originally for my own kids and their friends but they outgrew it years ago so with the neighbors pitching in with building and maintenance and insect control it kind of expanded into a real park covering a few acres that can be lit up at night, mostly restricted to toddlers and an adult has to be present when in use and to open it up and lock it back at night.

Not much of a distinction between Party at this level, it's more of a reality thing than an ideological hassle. Not very exciting, unless you can really get into stuff like a couple of plumbers heatedly arguing over whether a right of way or city code should be 17.5 inches from something or other versus 16.25 inches that goes on for over an hour or more, that sort of thing. The last Major Crisis to set the town on fire was the Mayor wanting to jack up the Little League fees from $15 to $100 and started a firestorm of virulent hatred, death threats, and acrimony. I helped vote it down; It cost my parents $2 for me way back when, which would only be about $60 adjusted for inflation now, so we countered with raising it to $20 and requiring parents to commit to more hours of maintenance and the like. That was 3 years ago and it's working fine. Money raising has been adequate by various sales and fund raising type functions.

Outside our own town, we mostly write checks, monthly to four assorted charities, Salvation Army, a local homeless shelter run by Christians, an orphanage in West Texas, and a food bank in our county, doe which I also shuttle trailers around for loading and unloading on occasion, since I have a CDL.. Used to do Meals On Wheels but I'm older and spread out pretty good as it is, so dropped that last year.

Last edited:
Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?

I voted for Trump. I rescued a senior dog on death row at the shelter. I poured bleach on the pot plants I found growing in the alley. I donate to rescues of homeless animals.

What say YOU?
Sometimes that educating yourself leads you to an area where you can be of assistance to something you care about and other times its just a matter of things you needed to know that becomes part of your mental toolbox.

What say YOU?

I say most of you folks wouldn't like it if I, and those like me, started DOING rather thsn just talking. We don't believe in voting as the fix for things. We believe in violence.
That's pretty sad. You are right though, I'd just as soon you didn't take any action if the choices you limit yourself to are "do nothing" and "violence". I truly feel sorry for you, it's sad that those are the only options you see for yourself.

What say YOU?
I know that the funds which I have charitably spread throughout SE Asia have gone toward the purchase of many water buffaloes, pickup trucks and "new motobite foh unckoh".
Thank you ladies and You're welcome Asia...see you in December.

What say YOU?
I'm probably not doing much other than some small acts which I hope will make things better in some small way.

I support my church financially and as a driver.

I donate to food drives.

I recycle.

I donate goods and money to Goodwill and Salvation Army.

I drive some disabled folk around and help them shop.

Other than that, I just work and try to support my family the best I can.

Forum List

Back